G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Greetings from Brazil

If you are new - post an introduction and tell us a little about yourself.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

Pierre Leclerc
Brazil

Greetings from Brazil

Post by Pierre Leclerc » Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:32 pm

I'm Brazilian, I live in João Pessoa, a coastal city with a Caribbean climate and beautiful beaches. I've been wearing speedos since I was a baby and I'm about to turn 33 years old. The use of speedos in Brazil is traditional, almost all men wear them and in some specific activities [such as the fire department] they are required. Unfortunately, in the last 23 years, swimming trunks have become wider. On the other hand, there is an increasing demand for "slip" and even "bikini" models, especially among gay Brazilians, who are demanding with their bodies.

In the 1990s, television in Brazil was much more liberal and there was a competition on a popular Sunday game show where men and women competed for soap to score points. Traditional prime-time soap operas were known for showing actors in tiny speedos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t0Hv_s5cxc

samuraispeedo
Great Britain

Re: Greetings from Brazil

Post by samuraispeedo » Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:53 pm

Welcome mate! Brazil is on my to do list, and certainly for speedo reasons too!

Scottiebum
Great Britain

Post by Scottiebum » Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:56 am

Welcome!
Straight
Scottish
Speedo

picc55
Italy

Post by picc55 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:49 am

welcome

Otobias
Portugal

Post by Otobias » Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:18 am

Benvindo! Já nem o Brasil escapa à globalização dos shorts... :(

Pierre Leclerc
Brazil

Post by Pierre Leclerc » Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:01 pm

Otobias wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:18 am
Benvindo! Já nem o Brasil escapa à globalização dos shorts... :(
Antes de tudo, obrigado! As for the "globalization of shorts", not so much. It's just that Brazilian speedos have become bigger and squarer. Until the end of the 90s it was like that:

Then they became like that:

As for wearing shorts, it depends on the region of the country and the profile of the person. The knee-length boardshort has become increasingly uncommon in everyday life and Brazilian shorts are getting shorter and shorter, even among heterosexuals. Tiny speedos are much easier to find [the first ones I had as an adult I had made to order].

diveguy
United States of America

Post by diveguy » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:22 am

Hi and welcome! I was aware that Brazilian men wore much skimpier briefs years ago, but now the "standard" male swimwear is the sunga, and that any man wearing something skimpier is assumed to be a tourist. So it would be great to see more men wearing ever briefer suits again, but even so, the sunga is far more preferable than baggy trunks or long board shorts. I watch a lot of YouTube beach videos from Brazil and sadly seeing too many men not even wearing sungas and instead longer trunks. Especially younger men. If I ever visit Brazil, I would be happy to wear a sunga, but I would try to get the smallest one available.
Underwater and Speedo loving straight guy

Pierre Leclerc
Brazil

Post by Pierre Leclerc » Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:36 pm

diveguy wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:22 am
Hi and welcome! I was aware that Brazilian men wore much skimpier briefs years ago, but now the "standard" male swimwear is the sunga, and that any man wearing something skimpier is assumed to be a tourist. So it would be great to see more men wearing ever briefer suits again, but even so, the sunga is far more preferable than baggy trunks or long board shorts. I watch a lot of YouTube beach videos from Brazil and sadly seeing too many men not even wearing sungas and instead longer trunks. Especially younger men. If I ever visit Brazil, I would be happy to wear a sunga, but I would try to get the smallest one available.
Well, it depends on several factors that determine whether or not a guy wears speedos in public here in Brazil. Generally, those who wear board shorts are nerdy teenagers, poorer men from the countryside, those who are out of shape. But, on average, a lot of speedos are worn in Brazil. In particular, I don't like this model, it doesn't hold the penis well.

Ipanema Beach, in the Farme de Amoedo Street area, is a well-known gay hangout. There you'll find the most daring speedo models, including thongs.

otter
United States of America

Post by otter » Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:38 pm

Welcome, Pierre!

I may have posted this before, a hilarious advertisement from sungalife.com.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGQ1KvEzaeQ
It proclaims the superiority of sungas over board shorts, and dismisses speedos too. Squares vs triangles. While I don't agree with the last part, it's great that a USA company (founded by ex navy seal) is trying to coax first responder types to rock practical, sexy swimwear.

I have a couple of classic sungas myself and find the relaxed cut really comfortable. Great for wearing on a boat or in company, totally conservative, no board shorts on top. I love Brazilians. My brother in law married a Brazilian woman and now her friends are our friends. Unfortunately my brother in law tells them to forget about skimpy swimwear when they visit the USA. He knows I wear speedos and accepts that as my thing, but he's still deep into, "do as the majority does". Body image insecurity extends to his own board short time on beaches in Brazil unfortunately. (His wife looks great in her bikinis.)
feel water like an otter would

Pierre Leclerc
Brazil

Post by Pierre Leclerc » Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:53 pm

otter wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:38 pm
Welcome, Pierre!

I may have posted this before, a hilarious advertisement from sungalife.com.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGQ1KvEzaeQ
It proclaims the superiority of sungas over board shorts, and dismisses speedos too. Squares vs triangles. While I don't agree with the last part, it's great that a USA company (founded by ex navy seal) is trying to coax first responder types to rock practical, sexy swimwear.

I have a couple of classic sungas myself and find the relaxed cut really comfortable. Great for wearing on a boat or in company, totally conservative, no board shorts on top. I love Brazilians. My brother in law married a Brazilian woman and now her friends are our friends. Unfortunately my brother in law tells them to forget about skimpy swimwear when they visit the USA. He knows I wear speedos and accepts that as my thing, but he's still deep into, "do as the majority does". Body image insecurity extends to his own board short time on beaches in Brazil unfortunately. (His wife looks great in her bikinis.)
Lately I've noticed that many Brazilian men have been wearing shorter and shorter shorts, as they were until the late 90s. It's just that Brazilian speedos haven't gone back to being as tiny as they were in the relatively distant past. But it's not difficult to buy a tiny speedo in Brazil. I'm dying to buy a much smaller model myself.

What surprised me was that this American liked Brazilian sungas so much. And, in fact, it's much more practical to wear a model like this than board shorts. I can leave my wallet and keys in the shorts while I shower with a garment that dries quickly. Especially for me, who has atopic dermatitis. But tell me, is there an interview with this guy? How did he discover Brazilian sungas and how did he convince himself of their qualities?

At the Olympics, the widespread use of sungas in Brazil was the subject of a report in the Wall Street Journal. This caused a huge frisson on social networks on the part of Brazilians with the American puritanical scandal. Like the day a man appeared in a red speedo behind NBC reporters. For us Brazilians, it's strange to see all this scandal. I myself have been wearing thongs since I was 9 months old and have never thought of stopping. Unless you're a teenage nerd, a religious fanatic, out of shape or a poor person from the countryside, wearing them becomes a must.