G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Turbo swimwear

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

BJE
United States of America

Re: Turbo swimwear

Post by BJE » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:02 am

swimdude wrote:I hear what your saying bout the size, but you also have to take I the fact one is used more for water polo while the other is just normal swim brief.
The Turbo I have is not a water polo suit, it's a swim suit.

swimdude
United States of America

Post by swimdude » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:37 am

My bad bro, I know mine is a polo I just assumed yours was too.

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:02 pm

swimdude wrote:Great suit BJE! Own a pair myself...
That's one sexy suit swimdude. And it's the one I want. It's also available as a swimsuit in that same color. Even the swimsuit has the water polo ball logo on the butt cheek. Thanks for posting. Now I KNOW it's the one I want.
Long time Speedo® lover

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:36 pm

Just a thought: BJE mentioned that the U.K. turbo web site had a size chart that included hip circumference. I'm guessing that's the key variable, and more important than waist size. My butt is on the small side, as compared to guys that work on their glutes and are larger and more muscular there. I have a 31 waist, but that's not where I wear my speedos, which is lower at the glute/hip level. I can wear the size 30 speedos that I bought from speedorob. They're tight, but that's what works in the water, as also noted by BJE. I want the butt of the suit to stay skin tight and avoid catching water. That's why swim teams wore skin tight "paper suits" years ago. The fabric was thin and had little give. No lycra or lining. They showed everything. They could only be used a few times.

Read about paper suits here: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-paper-swimsuit.htm
They've been superseded by tech suits.
Long time Speedo® lover

BJE
United States of America

Post by BJE » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:03 pm

Thom, I included the Turbo size chart at the beginning of this thread. My hip circumference at the level I wear my suits is about 91cm so I went with the size on the chart labeled 90cm which was the closest match. I'd like to try a smaller one though.

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:32 am

BJE wrote:Thom, I included the Turbo size chart at the beginning of this thread. My hip circumference at the level I wear my suits is about 91cm so I went with the size on the chart labeled 90cm which was the closest match. I'd like to try a smaller one though.
I do recall. And it struck me as a key insight. I remember when I was a kid that the waist measurement for pants was some place around the navel. As a kid, I wore chinos and jeans below that level. They just naturally seemed to want to ride on the hip bone more at speedo level. The Australian man who invented speedos saw, in addition to being a better suit for competition, that speedos just fit a mans anatomy better and looked awesome. As everyone here would agree....
Long time Speedo® lover

swimdude
United States of America

Post by swimdude » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:19 am

Thanks for the comment Thorn,glad I was able to help. Next time I think I'm going to go for a print style one.

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:54 am

BJE wrote:Here is my size M (34) Turbo swim brief with a size 32 Sporti Euro on top. You can see how much bigger the Turbo is. It fits well but I think I would still buy my normal size 32 regardless of what is said about upsizing.
Interesting comparison. Since I'm a size smaller than you are, I should go for the 30.

Liking the green, BTW!
Long time Speedo® lover

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:04 am

swimdude wrote:Thanks for the comment Thorn,glad I was able to help. Next time I think I'm going to go for a print style one.
I like the prints. I have some Swedish ancestry, and there's an awesome Turbo Swedish flag suit.
You've totally sold me on the blue. That suit is hot

Oh, I just use a weird spelling of Tom for my handle. Thom does look like Thorn. Hard to tell the difference. And my friends say I can be a prick sometimes.... Hmmm, maybe I can fix that. The handle, I mean....
:roll:
Long time Speedo® lover

BJE
United States of America

Post by BJE » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:37 am

After wearing my Turbo again I would have to go back on what I said about buying a size smaller. I think a smaller size would be pretty tight considering there isn't much stretch and it may not give the backside coverage I want. I think the best way to choose size is measuring the hips at the intended waistband level but I wouldn't upsize from there unless you are very close to the next size.

I like prints too. I feel less conspicuous because genital outline becomes less noticible.

My grandfather came from Sweden therefore I am 1/4th Swedish.

Swimdude, what size suit are you wearing and how does that relate to what you would normally wear in pants or underwear? Also, is that a water polo suit?

swimdude
United States of America

Post by swimdude » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:03 am

Damn, stupid typo mistake Thom, my bad. Guess I just typed it to quick, haha.
I usually wear size 30 for swimsuits. For the turbo I when I first bought it I read mixed comments on sizing so I didn't haven't good reference in buying when I got it. For pants I wear 32 and yeah it is a water polo suit.

BJE
United States of America

Post by BJE » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:16 am

swimdude wrote:Damn, stupid typo mistake Thom, my bad. Guess I just typed it to quick, haha.
I usually wear size 30 for swimsuits. For the turbo I when I first bought it I read mixed comments on sizing so I didn't haven't good reference in buying when I got it. For pants I wear 32 and yeah it is a water polo suit.
So what size is your Turbo water polo suit a M, L, or XL? I wear 32 pants and swimwear but my swim Turbo is a size M which is 34 on their chart. If you wear 30 swimsuits you must really like them tight or else you have a smaller butt than me. I'm at about 36 1/2" to 37" at my fullest part. If my suit is too small it doesn't cover my backside and my don't like my cheeks showing.

swimdude
United States of America

Post by swimdude » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:37 am

My current/only turbo I have at the moment is a size S, but I swim I usually wear a drag suit to help in my training. But at my current time the next time I buy a new turbo will be an M.

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:49 pm

BJE wrote:My grandfather came from Sweden therefore I am 1/4th Swedish.

For me, it's my maternal grandmother.

I have a photography book of pictures of Sweden from the 1990s. There's one of the start of an open water swim competition; and of course, they all are wearing speedos. When I visited my relatives, the guys about my age (late teens/early twenties) all wore them. And they all were lean, defined, and athletic. When we went swimming, I had to wear the dumb, plaid boxers that they "kept for relatives from the U.S." I felt like such a dork.

T.
Long time Speedo® lover

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:00 pm

swimdude wrote:Damn, stupid typo mistake Thom, my bad. Guess I just typed it to quick, haha.
Hey, I thought it was cool, like a character from a novel about English boarding schools. 8)

"Remember Thorn, you have to earn your place on the swim team. We don't care that your father's an earl."
Long time Speedo® lover

swimmerbud
United States of America

Post by swimmerbud » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:21 pm

Turbos are all I wear!
Life is short, Speedo on
USA | Mostly Straight

diveguy
United States of America

Post by diveguy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:55 am

Thom wrote:
BJE wrote:My grandfather came from Sweden therefore I am 1/4th Swedish.

For me, it's my maternal grandmother.

I have a photography book of pictures of Sweden from the 1990s. There's one of the start of an open water swim competition; and of course, they all are wearing speedos. When I visited my relatives, the guys about my age (late teens/early twenties) all wore them. And they all were lean, defined, and athletic. When we went swimming, I had to wear the dumb, plaid boxers that they "kept for relatives from the U.S." I felt like such a dork.

T.
Well, Thom, no better reason to go back for another visit now to be able to toss those dumb plaid (or whatever they have now) swim trousers back at them and say, "screw these, I'm a speedo man!"
Underwater and Speedo loving straight guy