G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Colors

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

Speedofanatic

Colors

Post by Speedofanatic » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:44 am

I had one friend told me that if you wear speedos, you will need to purchase by skin tone. Darker colors if you are to the pale side and lighter or brighter colors on the opposite.

Certain patterns attract attention so you need a good body to wear them.

Do you think that is true?

fbanks
United States of America

Re: Colors

Post by fbanks » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:07 am

I guess the color thing is true ... I know some colors look better on me than others. I tend to go for blacks and blues, and anything in the blue to purple range ... teal and aquamarine seem to work well. Can't wear anything red or green, and that's true for my street clothes.

Patterns can be fun, and there are just so many awesome ones out there!
Check My Collection in Photos ... always adding new pictures! Fletch.

Baltspeed
Latvia

Post by Baltspeed » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:22 pm

Yes, I think its true. The contrast between dark colors and bright skin looks more interesting. I prefer my dark colored (blue and black) in winter. In summer, when I've got some tan, I can wear the brighter swimsuits. But first of all: only speedos!

diveguy
United States of America

Post by diveguy » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:56 am

I do think that the lighter colors, especially white, look better on darker or nicely tanned skin tones.
Underwater and Speedo loving straight guy

speedodaveuk
Great Britain

Post by speedodaveuk » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:51 am

Agree that white looks good if you've a dark tan... otherwise it all just blends together! I Like a good orange myself (as you can see from my avatar!) cos I think it works well if you're a bit lighter skinned. I've not got any patterned speedos at all - maybe a future purchase if I can find one which suits my figure.
Proud speedo fan!

PNWGuy

Post by PNWGuy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:42 pm

Partial to black, blues, or red, although I had a green patterned suit until it was completely worn out. I never tan very dark.

ReservedEnthusiast
Italy

Post by ReservedEnthusiast » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:46 pm

I think that's true as a guideline rather than a rule. It's all about contrast and aesthetic principles. My friend is very tanned and his light blue and yellow Turbo Sweden brief looks AMAZING on him. And yes, you do need confidence to wear a pattern, but I wouldn't say you have to have a fantastic body to pull it off because it is an expression of your personal style and taste. I don't necessarily want to draw attention, but I want to show I have imagination beyond the token 3" Speedo black classic brief that occupies every sporting goods store's swimwear department.

Regardless of these color and pattern guidelines, I'm pretty darn white and I wear an Italian flag-colored (but mostly white) brief that I think looks good [on me] either way despite my skin color because it's just a very well-designed suit.

karlos
Great Britain

Post by karlos » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:06 pm

I'm quite plate and don't get much of a chance to tan. But even though they say if you have plate skin stick to black and dark colours, I tend to ovoid plain black unless it has another colour with it. As most of the time it just highlights my skin tone, but in the wrong sort of way, plus I just find black so boring.

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:04 pm

I suppose the colour and skin tone thing is true, but if you like a speedo colour wear it. Is it really that important? I have red, navy, royal blue, orange and navy, multi coloured.
Love speedos, running shorts, rugby shorts, Aussie rules footy shorts.

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:13 pm

I have a variety of stuff. It's sort of whatever strikes my fancy. Previously, I haven't bought black, because it didn't seem to work for me; but after seeing the slippini thread, I bought a couple small suits in black.
Long time Speedo® lover

zaps
United States of America

Post by zaps » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:09 pm

I have very fair skin, and am basically unable to tan. I personally feel that dark suits work best for me, but I also like picking bright attention grabbing colors from time to time.

BJE
United States of America

Post by BJE » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:30 pm

I like bright colors and patterns. I don't go for black and dark blue. While patterns may draw more attention, they also camouflage genital outlines making shape less conspicuous. I also like low cut suits. I would never wear a 3" suit.

diveguy
United States of America

Post by diveguy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:12 am

BJE wrote:I like bright colors and patterns. I don't go for black and dark blue. While patterns may draw more attention, they also camouflage genital outlines making shape less conspicuous. I also like low cut suits. I would never wear a 3" suit.
Yes, low cut, briefer suits rock big time! But I'm the opposite on the colors, I prefer solids and black is my ultimate #1 favorite by a long shot, followed by blues, brown, and white. I think a small, tight white speedo on tanned skin looks incredible.
Underwater and Speedo loving straight guy

swimsharkau
Australia

Post by swimsharkau » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:59 pm

I definitely think certain colours suit certain skin tones better than others, eg dark colours for light skin tone, but it doesn't stop me from wearing the whole rainbow.

I have fairly light skin but often wear multicoloured, patterned, or light coloured pairs. I think I tend to go with smarter, more conservative matches when doing laps etc but take more risks if I'm at the beach or want people to look.

shadowmn
United States of America

Post by shadowmn » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:28 am

At the beginning of summer, I start out with dark colored suits, but as I get more tan, I wear the brighter colors and patterns. Gotta love the speedo tanline.
Just a straight guy that enjoys wearing speedos. Life is too short, enjoy wearing what you want.

Norfcountryboy
Great Britain

Post by Norfcountryboy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:33 pm

I'm pale and I was told that pale blue or pale green are "Best" for fair complexions. I do think that pale blue looks good on me, less so pale green. I agree with what others have said about black. I wore a black suit for the first time in ages the other day and was surprised how good I thought it looked. Oddly I don't find that navy blue works well.
The location could be significant too; I'm surprised how dim the lighting can be in some indoor swimming pools and of course if you are in a sauna cabin or steam room the lighting is very subdued. What I am thinking is that I have more leeway with different colours indoors than outside where the light is a lot harsher. Fabric goes darker when wet of course; another complication!
I like patterns. They definatley serve a purpose in drawing peoples attention and using a "Dazzle" effect http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/mari ... zzle-ship/ to camoflage your gear, which can be good or bad depending on circumstance. I really like 90's Speedo suits that would have a plain black panel and a wild front pattern.
Real men wear Speedo's

Swimbrieffetish

Post by Swimbrieffetish » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:33 pm

Well for me now I have embrace other colors that can be bright. In some way you want to get notice.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:10 pm

Norfcountryboy wrote:I'm pale and I was told that pale blue or pale green are "Best" for fair complexions. I do think that pale blue looks good on me, less so pale green. I agree with what others have said about black. I wore a black suit for the first time in ages the other day and was surprised how good I thought it looked. Oddly I don't find that navy blue works well.
Ethnically, I'm a Nordic mix, so I have fair skin like yourself. I totally agree with your comments. A very light blue works for me, and I've found the greens in most shades and prints work too. There's a light blue Turbo solid that I want to buy. Black is an okay conservative choice. Also found your comments about varying lighting conditions to be true. I've used indoor pools at night that were under-lit and dank--it didn't matter what color you wore--although, during the day, they got plenty of natural light from windows. Maybe they were trying to save electricity, back in the days before LED lighting.
Long time Speedo® lover

ChicagoDan

Post by ChicagoDan » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:48 pm

I am a fan of bright speedos, been wanting to get a few this year.