G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Reflections on Speedos

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

blueflinch
Australia

Reflections on Speedos

Post by blueflinch » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:15 pm

Sometimes, when I'm in my speedos at the pool, other males (usually lads in their late teens or early twenties) assume that I'm gay and mutter nasty things under their breath.

Now I'm gay in real life, which is beside the point. In these scenarios when I'm assumed to be gay, I haven't actually done anything gay-ish. (No flirting, no perving, no inappropriate behaviour, nothing sexual at all). Most of the time I'm minding my own business, lost in a world of my own, and merely wearing speedos.

That's right. Wearing speedos is enough to be branded gay.

Why oh why? My theory is that in our culture women are sex objects and men are admirers of sex objects. Men who wear speedos often have nice bodies and a sense of style - in other words, they're acting like sex objects. I think this upsets the status quo. In nature, male peacocks outshine the female. In human society, this isn't an acceptable option.

I don't have a problem with people thinking I'm gay - I have a thick skin. However, the situation must be tough for straight men who look all right/want to wear speedos and for heterosexual women who are uninterested in fashion and weren't blessed by God with the kind of face/body/breasts everyone wants to leer at. Most gals aren't supermodels and most men aren't terrible-looking. Yet only females are allowed to take pride in their appearance and wear form-fitting swimwear.
Last edited by blueflinch on Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpeedoUSA

Re: Why Speedos are (Apparently) Gay

Post by SpeedoUSA » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:42 pm

blueflinch wrote:Sometimes, when I'm in my speedos at the pool, other males (usually lads in their late teens or early twenties) assume that I'm gay and mutter nasty things under their breath.

Now I'm gay in real life, which is beside the point. In these scenarios when I'm assumed to be gay, I haven't actually done anything gay-ish. (No flirting, no perving, no inappropriate behaviour, nothing sexual at all). Most of the time I'm minding my own business, lost in a world of my own, and merely wearing speedos.

That's right. Wearing speedos is enough to be branded gay.

Why oh why? My theory is that in our culture women are sex objects and men are admirers of sex objects. Men who wear speedos often have nice bodies and a sense of style - in other words, they're acting like sex objects. I think this upsets the status quo. In nature, male peacocks outshine the female. In human society, this isn't an acceptable option.

I don't have a problem with people thinking I'm gay - I have a thick skin. However, the situation must be tough for straight men who look all right/want to wear speedos and for heterosexual women who are uninterested in fashion and weren't blessed by God with the kind of face/body/breasts everyone wants to leer at. Most gals aren't supermodels and most men aren't terrible-looking. Yet only females are allowed to take pride in their appearance and wear form-fitting swimwear.
A stereotype that needs change...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Str8 Speedo fan

Mazda3mps
Australia

Post by Mazda3mps » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:53 pm

agree with above, its the whole stereotyping people.

just like mums in lorna jane, and we assume they go to the gym :P

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:32 pm

I agree in part to what you are saying.
But I have friends and relatives who all think men of any age or shape should not wear speedos. This is not because they think they are gay but because they think it looks wrong. Displaying your goods to the whole world is taboo in their opinion. Okay for a woman to wear a thong bikini and go topless but not for a man to strut his stuff.
Also fashion has to take some of the blame for speedos not being so popular, they have told people that when swimming or at the beach shorts / board shorts are what must be worn.
If you look at counties like France or Italy where they wear them without a problem. I think the “your gay because you wear a speedo” is really for small minded people and as such they are in a minority.
But I think culture and people’s opinions are changing. I am starting to see people wearing jammers, boxer trunks and the occasional speedo creeping back into the pool.
Also at the beach shorts are getting shorter, although it has been a while since I went to the beach.
I am guilty of not wearing a speedo at the beach or pool. What I mean is I wear one under my shorts. Not because of what people think but because of my body image.
I have also found this article if any of you are interested.
https://www.esquire.com/style/mens-fash ... r-speedos/
I am not disagreeing with anyone just putting across another point of view from my own experience.
Love speedos, running shorts, rugby shorts, Aussie rules footy shorts.

...:::sam:::...
Australia

Post by ...:::sam:::... » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:51 pm

I've never had that before, ever. Mostly when I'm at the pool its swimming training and nobody has ever batted an eyelid (apart from the day I accidentally wore my more than normal transparent ABs) but speedos are pretty common for swimmers. Same with the beach, nothing. I think in Australia speedos, well actually Budgy Smugglers to be more accurate, are creating a resurgence among teens to maybe 30's, these are what youre seen in if you back yourself and you've got style.

rockman748

Post by rockman748 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:05 am

I know that this is going to sound very stereotypical, but a lot of times it's easy to tell if someone is gay just by looking at the person. I know this is not accurate all of the time and I have a few gay friends where you would think they are straight, but sometimes it is very easy to see just by looking at someone, and maybe that is the case with you at the pool. You don't have a profile picture or anything so it's more difficult to say, but that's just a thought.
Just a straight guy who likes speedos and aussiebums

blueflinch
Australia

Post by blueflinch » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:57 pm

Speedoaddict wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:32 pm
But I have friends and relatives who all think men of any age or shape should not wear speedos. This is not because they think they are gay but because they think it looks wrong.
So, for some people, male genitalia in general is just too confronting? :lol:

blueflinch
Australia

Post by blueflinch » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:01 pm

rockman748 wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:05 am
I know that this is going to sound very stereotypical, but a lot of times it's easy to tell if someone is gay just by looking at the person. I know this is not accurate all of the time and I have a few gay friends where you would think they are straight, but sometimes it is very easy to see just by looking at someone, and maybe that is the case with you at the pool. You don't have a profile picture or anything so it's more difficult to say, but that's just a thought.
I know what you mean. But judging a guy on his mannerisms can be perilous. Some very effeminate young men turn out to be straight and some guys with very masculine bodies and presentation have no interest whatsoever in women! Can't win! :lol:

In light of feedback, maybe I read too much into the teenagers' remarks? However, I have noticed that straight males do gossip with other straight males over which males they think are gay. Is this to suss out the sexual competition for girls?

devildog
Netherlands

Post by devildog » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:51 am

Wearing speedos is not gay. There are plenty of straight guys wearing them. Fashion trends change all the time. For teenagers falling out of some kind of mainstream norm is tricky, they can be sensitive or judgmental on that.

We now have the fashion trend of the "sliders with socks" that came back. I don't like it but I don't care. Or trends with jeans with or without holes on the knees. In the past the ripped jeans look was messy worn out... I kinda liked that. Now they're having the clean cut holes, or more like cuts, around the knees, which you can buy that way.

And a lot are now in slim fit, skinny fit or supperskinny fit. While 15 years ago baggy pants were a huge trend, including the whole sagging trend of course. You can still find baggy pants and saggers, but it isn't a trend like it was anymore. Although some fashion seems to go for oversized again in yet another different way.

We could go on. Head wear; ball caps, beanies, etc. My point being, trends change all the time. And there's a cycle. Stuff comes back in fashion in different ways. Teenagers are very sensitive to that, while as adult you just choose what you prefer. If you like baggy pants then you don't care if slim fit or skinny fit is in fashion, you just wear your baggy pants.

I see it like that with swimwear too. I remember as teenager I was aware to get shorts for swimming because everyone my age was wearing shorts. As a teenager that's normal; you have enough insecurities or confusion to deal with.

Speedos aren't a trend for teenagers at the moment, but they are part of culture everywhere. They're popular, as a lot of shops are selling them, making profits. And of course in sports they're very common.

I think in a different way like cowboy/western boots. Not everyone wears them, but quite a lot of people do, and in some parts they're super common. Speedos are common in several sports, no question about it. Western boots are common in country. No matter the latest fashion trends. They will never disappear because they're part of our broader culture.
be comfortable

beachg0y
United States of America

Post by beachg0y » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:26 pm

Wearing swim briefs isn't considered gay back home. Back home we think it's gay if you ram your _ _ _ _ up another dude's backside. Fact.

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:05 pm

What if you do it while wearing speedos?😜

blueflinch
Australia

Post by blueflinch » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:57 pm

devildog wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:51 am
Wearing speedos is not gay. There are plenty of straight guys wearing them. Fashion trends change all the time. For teenagers falling out of some kind of mainstream norm is tricky, they can be sensitive or judgmental on that.
You make a lot of good points, devildog.

I'm not saying speedos are gay. I'm saying it's an unfortunate perception some people have. As Mazda says, it's a cultural stereotype that lives on. Although, as Sam says, it's not a stereotype that serious sportsmen have - since many wear speedos at pool or under gym clothes. Even Australian newspapers will occasionally publish pictures of (straight) top footballers, etc, relaxing in speedos before or after training or during bonding exercises before a big match. Nothing effeminate about those fellows! :lol:

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:08 pm

I have noticed that some rugby and AFL players wear speedos under their shorts. I think it doesn’t help matters that some swim trunks are marketed towards the gay community. i.e. Andrew Christian, Addicted, And Aussiebum. Also look at gay pride with people walking round in speedos and briefs. Please, please, please do not get offended I am just saying people see this and assume.
You know what they say assumption is the mother of all fuck ups.
There has been a lot of assuming going on.
Last edited by Speedoaddict on Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mazda3mps
Australia

Post by Mazda3mps » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:09 pm

devildog wrote:

We now have the fashion trend of the "sliders with socks" that came back. I don't like it but I don't care. Or trends with jeans with or without holes on the knees. In the past the ripped jeans look was messy worn out... I kinda liked that. Now they're having the clean cut holes, or more like cuts, around the knees, which you can buy that way.

And a lot are now in slim fit, skinny fit or supperskinny fit. While 15 years ago baggy pants were a huge trend, including the whole sagging trend of course. You can still find baggy pants and saggers, but it isn't a trend like it was anymore. Although some fashion seems to go for oversized again in yet another different way.

We could go on. Head wear; ball caps, beanies, etc. My point being, trends change all the time. And there's a cycle. Stuff comes back in fashion in different ways. Teenagers are very sensitive to that, while as adult you just choose what you prefer. If you like baggy pants then you don't care if slim fit or skinny fit is in fashion, you just wear your baggy pants.

I see it like that with swimwear too. I remember as teenager I was aware to get shorts for swimming because everyone my age was wearing shorts. As a teenager that's normal; you have enough insecurities or confusion to deal with.

Speedos aren't a trend for teenagers at the moment, but they are part of culture everywhere. They're popular, as a lot of shops are selling them, making profits. And of course in sports they're very common.

I think in a different way like cowboy/western boots. Not everyone wears them, but quite a lot of people do, and in some parts they're super common. Speedos are common in several sports, no question about it. Western boots are common in country. No matter the latest fashion trends. They will never disappear because they're part of our broader culture.
I reckon swim briefs will come back around soon, especially in sydney where there seams to be more local brands coming out with them.. and focusing a lot of sport and looks at the same time

Mazda3mps
Australia

Post by Mazda3mps » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:13 pm

blueflinch wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:57 pm
devildog wrote:
You make a lot of good points, devildog.

I'm not saying speedos are gay. I'm saying it's an unfortunate perception some people have. As Mazda says, it's a cultural stereotype that lives on. Although, as Sam says, it's not a stereotype that serious sportsmen have - since many wear speedos at pool or under gym clothes. Even Australian newspapers will occasionally publish pictures of (straight) top footballers, etc, relaxing in speedos before or after training or during bonding exercises before a big match. Nothing effeminate about those fellows! :lol:

and its how they market their brand also! budgy smugglers and sluggers marketing seems more involving for everybody.. where as brands like marcuse and aussiebums are selling "sex"...

blueflinch
Australia

Post by blueflinch » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:50 pm

This is a very meaty discussion! :lol:

Devildog is right to say speedos are mainstream. However, it's a part of mainstream culture that has been appropriated by the gay community e.g. pride parades and festivals, companies now making very sexy designs appealing to gay buyers. However, since it was a gay man who designed the original speedo swimwear (and an Australian), you could say mainstream culture pinched speedos from gay culture in the first place! The cult of speedos have come full circle. :lol:

Speedos can be very macho (on hunky footballers, etc). And speedos can be sexy. Speedos can be sexy and macho at the same time. Speedos can also just be a boring, practical item people wear for convenience.

I guess I can see now why speedos appeal to so many different types of people and why on this board it's not just one narrow group of people expressing love for brief-style swimwear! :mrgreen:

blueflinch
Australia

Post by blueflinch » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:03 pm

Speedoaddict wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:08 pm
I have noticed that some rugby and AFL players wear speedos under their shorts. I think it doesn’t help matters that some swim trunks are marketed towards the gay community. i.e. Andrew Christian, Addicted, And Aussiebum. Also look at gay pride with people walking round in speedos and briefs. Please, please, please do not get offended I am just saying people see this and assume.
Nothing you say (as far as I can see) is offensive. Here in Australia, Aussiebum is informally known as "that gay underwear company". I don't think they can complain about that image if it really is gay men buying most of their stuff. Can't upset your best customers now! :lol:

Perhaps I should have titled this thread "Why Speedos are So Popular with Gay Men" as opposed to "Why Speedos Are Gay". Although, to my credit, I did insert an "apparently" in there - meaning the subject is most certainly up for debate ...

SpeedoUSA

Post by SpeedoUSA » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:25 pm

blueflinch wrote:
Speedoaddict wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:08 pm
Nothing you say (as far as I can see) is offensive. Here in Australia, Aussiebum is informally known as "that gay underwear company". I don't think they can complain about that image if it really is gay men buying most of their stuff. Can't upset your best customers now! :lol:

Perhaps I should have titled this thread "Why Speedos are So Popular with Gay Men" as opposed to "Why Speedos Are Gay". Although, to my credit, I did insert an "apparently" in there - meaning the subject is most certainly up for debate ...
If you’ve ever watched the show Jackass “ more specifically “Wildboys” the animal expert wore speedos and stated that the best he buys are from gay clothing stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Str8 Speedo fan

blueflinch
Australia

Post by blueflinch » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:14 pm

beachg0y wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:26 pm
Wearing swim briefs isn't considered gay back home. Back home we think it's gay if you ram your _ _ _ _ up another dude's backside. Fact.
Thanks for that image, beachg0y. Your contribution to the conversation is, as always, enlightening - if a tad unsubtle! :lol:

swimsharkau
Australia

Post by swimsharkau » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:48 pm

Teenage boys are at interesting age in male development. They are still negotiating where they fit in regards to masculinity, sexual orientation, gender identity etc. Often they engage in culturally stereotypical male behaviour like making negative comments about a gay/guy in speedos, or assuming any male wearing speedos is gay.
It helps them in their mind, fit into a defined category for example white, straight, male.

But if one of their mates who they regarded as being "definitely straight" started wearing speedos - seriously, or more likely ironically, or as a joke - I'm sure they wouldn't be far behind in wearing them as well. Sort of a "we're the lads and we're being funny and confident wearing speedos."

Teenagers are a strange creature.