G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Making your own speedos

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

mattji01
Australia

Making your own speedos

Post by mattji01 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:21 pm

I’ve been making my own speedos for a while. Does anyone else ? It started off because I am a bit skinny, and I found myself having to adjust those that I had bought to make them fit better. This lead to copying them and then to making my own designs. I like experimenting with different fabrics and/or placing seams where they accentuate your shape. Some are baggy in the front, some tight, but I always try to enhance the rear view to define the two bum cheeks. I sometimes add string or elastic to give a bit of structure. Some are more successful than others and some, the less revealing ones, even get a public airing at the beach or public pool, but many don’t leave my home and are used only for play or in my own pool.

I’ve attached an image of some of my home made speedos. You will see not all are briefs, but also square-cut and jammers. Each has a story; what I was trying to achieve and what went wrong. I can model some if anyone is interested and I am keen to hear if anyone else has been making their own. What have been their experiences ? I also have been making underwear and shorts, but that’s another story.
Attachments
Blue Lycra.JPG
Blue Lycra.JPG (64.55 KiB) Viewed 7827 times
Homemade Speedo Collection .JPG
Homemade Speedo Collection .JPG (73.89 KiB) Viewed 7827 times

pix54
Australia

Re: Making your own speedos

Post by pix54 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:47 pm

They look like bought ones!

ExBex
United States of America

Post by ExBex » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:28 am

Awesome skills! I'm a bit skinny, too, and I've often gotten a suit that I think would be perfect if it could just be tweaked a little bit. And, one of my favorite suits is wearing out, but the style has been discontinued. I'd love to be able to recreate it.

SpeedoDan
Great Britain

Post by SpeedoDan » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:30 am

I love that you make your own! I’ve made my own in the past. Here are one of my designs:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norfcountryboy
Great Britain

Post by Norfcountryboy » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:54 pm

mattji01 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:21 pm
I’ve been making my own speedos for a while. Does anyone else ? It started off because I am a bit skinny, and I found myself having to adjust those that I had bought to make them fit better. This lead to copying them and then to making my own designs. I like experimenting with different fabrics and/or placing seams where they accentuate your shape. Some are baggy in the front, some tight, but I always try to enhance the rear view to define the two bum cheeks. I sometimes add string or elastic to give a bit of structure. Some are more successful than others and some, the less revealing ones, even get a public airing at the beach or public pool, but many don’t leave my home and are used only for play or in my own pool.

I’ve attached an image of some of my home made speedos. You will see not all are briefs, but also square-cut and jammers. Each has a story; what I was trying to achieve and what went wrong. I can model some if anyone is interested and I am keen to hear if anyone else has been making their own. What have been their experiences ? I also have been making underwear and shorts, but that’s another story.
It's great that you make your own, I've thought about it and got as far as getting the fabric but never actually started. I've occassionally altered suits but that's all.
Do you use a sewing machine?
Real men wear Speedo's

SEASPEEDO
United States of America

Post by SEASPEEDO » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:04 pm

mattji01 and SpeedoDan, you're both very talented.... great work! SpeedoDan, I really like the suit you're posing in, great design and colors!

mattji01
Australia

Post by mattji01 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:07 pm

[/quote]
Awesome skills! I'm a bit skinny, too, and I've often gotten a suit that I think would be perfect if it could just be tweaked a little bit. And, one of my favorite suits is wearing out, but the style has been discontinued. I'd love to be able to recreate it.
[/quote]
Exbex, from the images you’ve posted you certainly don’t look skinny to me. You have more than just great definition. You had previously mentioned, in your review of the AB sale that the red ones in nylon can be a bit baggy in the rear. I had the same problem so took I them in with a small fold between the legs. As my legs are thin this didn’t make them too tight.

[/quote]
I love that you make your own! I’ve made my own in the past. Here are one of my designs
[/quote]
SpeedoDan, wow, I think we are in a different league. Those look really professional. The design is similar to an ES. I like the contrasting band and edging. Well done.

[/quote]
It's great that you make your own, I've thought about it and got as far as getting the fabric but never actually started. I've occassionally altered suits but that's all.
Do you use a sewing machine?
[/quote]
Norfcountryboy, Yes, I’ve been using a conventional sewing machine and recently got my hands on an overlocker which gives a more professional seem when joining two pieces.

VPL
United States of America

Post by VPL » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:47 pm

SpeedoDan wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:30 am
I love that you make your own! I’ve made my own in the past. Here are one of my designs:

wow! you have real talent! and a body to die for! great pic and suit!

blueflinch
Australia

Post by blueflinch » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:02 pm

Did a great job, Dan! :P

T88

Post by T88 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:51 am

Nice one! Im jelous!!

ExBex
United States of America

Post by ExBex » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:20 am

mattji01 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:07 pm
Exbex, from the images you’ve posted you certainly don’t look skinny to me. You have more than just great definition. You had previously mentioned, in your review of the AB sale that the red ones in nylon can be a bit baggy in the rear. I had the same problem so took I them in with a small fold between the legs. As my legs are thin this didn’t make them too tight.
Thanks, the camera adds 10 lbs! I thought about doing exactly that with the AB... take it in a little between the legs. Sounds simple enough, even for someone without any skills. ... And it was only $10, when I mess it up.
SpeedoDan wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:30 am
Another guy with awesome skills! Looks great.

LimeSpeedos
Canada

Post by LimeSpeedos » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:39 pm

Yooo thats awesome, being skinny and short i have a hard time getting a good fit, Im jealous and wish i could make my own !
Speedo Gamer

blueflinch
Australia

Post by blueflinch » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:50 pm

Speedos in Oz can easily retail for $65 AU. How much would it cost to make one's own I wonder?

mattji01
Australia

Post by mattji01 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:06 pm

I’d say about & $15, by the time you’ve bought the fabric, elastic and draw string. But that’s with cheap material. Really depends on quantity & quality.

mattji01
Australia

Post by mattji01 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:33 pm

A couple of images of a patterned pair I made.
Attachments
IMG_8916.JPG
IMG_8916.JPG (63.29 KiB) Viewed 7429 times
IMG_8943A.JPG
IMG_8943A.JPG (51.17 KiB) Viewed 7429 times

diveguy
United States of America

Post by diveguy » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:34 am

mattji01 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:33 pm
A couple of images of a patterned pair I made.
I LOVE that they're gathered in between the cheeks, G-string like. I think all the manufacturers should offer this on the suits they sell. I imagine a skintight wrap on the cheeks would make them even more secure fitting and even less likely to peel off when diving headfirst into water from greater heights, or into the surf.

All the rest of them look great too in the earlier picture. Great job!
Underwater and Speedo loving straight guy

MrMusik
United States of America

Post by MrMusik » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:38 am

mattji01 wrote:
I’ve been making my own speedos for a while. Does anyone else ?
I love that you make your own suits, mattji01!

Those suits all look great! I think it would be great fun to go through them with you and discuss what you were trying to do when you made them and what worked and what didn't work for you. Perhaps one day we can get together and you can tell me about it.

mattji01
Australia

Post by mattji01 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:24 pm

diveguy wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:34 am
I LOVE that they're gathered in between the cheeks, G-string like. I think all the manufacturers should offer this on the suits they sell. I imagine a skintight wrap on the cheeks would make them even more secure fitting and even less likely to peel off when diving headfirst into water from greater heights, or into the surf.

[/quote]
I've made another pair with the same elastic at the rear, but also at the front, either side of your package. Keeps every thing in place. I don't have them with me so you'll have to wait for any images.

mattji01
Australia

Post by mattji01 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:26 pm

MrMusik wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:38 am
mattji01 wrote:
I’ve been making my own speedos for a while. Does anyone else ?
I love that you make your own suits, mattji01!

Those suits all look great! I think it would be great fun to go through them with you and discuss what you were trying to do when you made them and what worked and what didn't work for you. Perhaps one day we can get together and you can tell me about it.
Not planning any trips to the USA, but happy to give you the low down on any specific pair.