G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

My first pool swim in six months

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

wetman1961
Great Britain

My first pool swim in six months

Post by wetman1961 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:51 am

My local swimming pool finally reopened last week, having been closed for six months. It is a community pool and I had been worried that it would not reopen after all pools in the UK were ordered to close in March; however they were able to cover the staff wages under the furlough scheme and held a successful fundraiser to cover the costs of reopening prior to the schools and swimming clubs returning in September.

The pool now has a number of hour-long lane swimming slots, which can be booked via an app. Swimmers are asked to arrive "swim ready" and undress in a side room, taking their belongings to the poolside. We can use the changing room after the swim, but not the shower. Nevertheless it all seems to work well (and I can shower at home anyway) and it felt good to be back in the pool again - sea swimming is OK but won't be a feasible keep-fit option for much longer (and I am not faffing around with a wetsuit). I hope it won't take too long to get back to my previous stamina and ability.

Oh and for the record - black Adidas three-stripe swim briefs :)
Every man should own a Little Black Speedo :P

Speedomartin
Great Britain

Re: My first pool swim in six months

Post by Speedomartin » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:14 pm

wetman1961 wrote:My local swimming pool finally reopened last week, having been closed for six months. It is a community pool and I had been worried that it would not reopen after all pools in the UK were ordered to close in March; however they were able to cover the staff wages under the furlough scheme and held a successful fundraiser to cover the costs of reopening prior to the schools and swimming clubs returning in September.

The pool now has a number of hour-long lane swimming slots, which can be booked via an app. Swimmers are asked to arrive "swim ready" and undress in a side room, taking their belongings to the poolside. We can use the changing room after the swim, but not the shower. Nevertheless it all seems to work well (and I can shower at home anyway) and it felt good to be back in the pool again - sea swimming is OK but won't be a feasible keep-fit option for much longer (and I am not faffing around with a wetsuit). I hope it won't take too long to get back to my previous stamina and ability.

Oh and for the record - black Adidas three-stripe swim briefs :)
So glad you are back in the swimming pool wetman1961. It would do my head in faffing with a wetsuit but who doesn't like a bit of rubber?? the choice of swimwear.... excellent oh why no picture!!?? Get one posted....... I am sure that being a fit young man like your good self to up the fitness levels will be easy for you!!?? thanks for sharing but share a picture buddy

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

gx0100
Wales

Post by gx0100 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:43 pm

Hey wetman1961, thanks for the post. It’s good to hear you’ve been able to get back into the pool, especially as the stark drop in temperature this week really has signalled autumn’s arrival.

My gym reopened in August and I was quick to return! The pool, however, stayed closed a little longer... now that it’s reopened, I haven’t actually been for a swim session. I want to go, but for some reason I’ve lost my confidence and feel oddly nervous about going to the pool.
A part of me is aware I will have lost a great deal of stamina, and another part of me worries what others may think if I go for a swim and end up staying in the pool for only a quarter of an hour or something!!

I can see the pool from the gym, and since it reopened I’ve noticed a lot of the swimmers seem to be the seasoned pros...the ones who are truly serious about it. They all seem to swim so quickly and don’t seem to take many breaks between lengths. I just know I’ll be slow and need to catch my breath after a long break from swimming. (Even before lockdown I had neglected the pool somewhat in favour of the gym.)

Anyway, thanks again for sharing and hopefully I’ll get over my insecurities and take the plunge(!) myself soon.

gx0100
Wales

Post by gx0100 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:15 am

**update**
After writing my last message, I gave myself a talking to, logged onto my gym app and saw there was a swimming slot available this morning. So, I wolfed down some breakfast, booked the slot and just got back home from swimming.
I was better than I expected but didn’t stay for very long. It was enjoyable though (apart from two individuals with poor lane etiquette - the lifeguard did tell them off though, which was pleasing to see). I think I was the only speedo wearer at the time, but there were a few with the tight boxer short style. Only a couple were in loose shorts.
Today, by the way, I opted for the blue Adidas in my avatar. Shame I’m not as tanned or toned as I was in that photo anymore!

Speedomartin
Great Britain

Post by Speedomartin » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:46 pm

gx0100 wrote:**update**
After writing my last message, I gave myself a talking to, logged onto my gym app and saw there was a swimming slot available this morning. So, I wolfed down some breakfast, booked the slot and just got back home from swimming.
I was better than I expected but didn’t stay for very long. It was enjoyable though (apart from two individuals with poor lane etiquette - the lifeguard did tell them off though, which was pleasing to see). I think I was the only speedo wearer at the time, but there were a few with the tight boxer short style. Only a couple were in loose shorts.
Today, by the way, I opted for the blue Adidas in my avatar. Shame I’m not as tanned or toned as I was in that photo anymore!
Good to hear gx0100: glad you went in the pool and in your speedos

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

wetman1961
Great Britain

Post by wetman1961 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:36 am

gx0100 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:15 am
**update**
Well done on taking the plunge - Once you've done it and seen how the new system works, it won't feel as daunting to go again. I'm going again this afternoon and I've also got a slot booked for Thursday.
Every man should own a Little Black Speedo :P

swimsharkau
Australia

Post by swimsharkau » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:11 pm

I also went for my first swim in many months this past weekend though not at a public pool. Swam Fri/Sat/Sun at a private pool. Swam with a few friends on Saturday. Wore shorts on Friday then ditched them for an old Nunzio Miano suit I've had for ages, looks like this;

db338345875411.583fe65acddab (453x640).jpg
db338345875411.583fe65acddab (453x640).jpg (164.58 KiB) Viewed 3255 times

Not sure if/when I'll get back to lane swimming. Just don't have the spare time at the moment and can't be bothered with restrictions etc. Maybe...

Happy to hear you are both back at your local.