G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Etiquette at the fitness center - to and from the pool

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

briefs55
United States of America

Etiquette at the fitness center - to and from the pool

Post by briefs55 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:12 am

Thanks for your feedback on the pictures I posted Monday on the Say G'day board.
Next question for you:

I am struggling to decide what to wear between the locker room and the pool, when I finally start swimming for exercise regularly at a local family-oriented fitness center with outdoor pool (in a fairly conservative suburban U.S. community).

Don't get me wrong - on a Hawaii vacation, once I am on the beach, I am more or less comfortable being the only guy walking around in a speedo. But what's appropriate at the local gym?

Here's the set-up. Unlike the women's locker room, the men's locker room does not open directly onto the pool area. Instead you would leave the locker room, proceed down a short side hallway past a room for an exercise class, join the main hallway (which away from the pool door leads straight into the main exercise equipment area and main gym entrance), go out the door to the pool area, and proceed past the water aerobics pool to the lap pool. The kid's pool and play area are a bit further beyond. At least during the summer this route could be full of of families coming and going.

Is it more appropriate boldly to march through all this terrain wearing only my 2 or 3 inch brief, or to wear shorts or or cover up with a towel to and from the pool edge?

Like so many others on this board, I am irritated by the negative social standards in U.S. culture. Even though I would definitely feel a bit awkward meeting people I know from the community on the way to the pool, part of me wants to be bold just to push back on the cultural boundaries. But -- I wonder what would actually tend to set back our cause more -- to look insecure by covering up, or to seem grossly insensitive to others' feelings in this kind of setting by seeming too immodest.

It would be great if you all think my question has a nice clear answer, but if not I hope it starts a good lively conversation here!

scott1636
United States of America

Re: Etiquette at the fitness center - to and from the pool

Post by scott1636 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:50 pm

I guess I'll start this off by saying "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." I'd just watch to see what appears to be the norm for that particular facility and then decide what to do from there. If walking to and from in a 2" speedo doesn't seem to make you or anyone else uncomfortable, then do it. Maybe a T-shirt and a speedo, or a towel around your waist,is more acceptable. It really comes down to what you are comfortable doing, and because you are concerned about the feelings of others, which isn't a bad thing at all, just observe at first and then decide. You can always start out a little on the conservative side, and then be less conservative as time progresses until you reach the point near where you would no longer be comfortable. I tend to go with the idea that "If you've got it, flaunt it."

tanned bum

Post by tanned bum » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:48 pm

I agree -- go with the flow. I do agree that you are pretty much safe anywhere with a 2" speedo. Stick with black or navy so as not to stand out. It is basic and not too revealing and/or suggestive.
The important thing to remember is the trip to and from your room. Never go in the lobby in a swim suit unless it is covered with shorts or pants and have a shirt on. If in a hotel of any quality they frown on swimwear in the lobby. In many nice hotels on the beach, there will be a separate elevator for the beach (Bathers, Swimmers or Beach Elevator) It is a dual purpose. People in an elevator don't appreciate your dripping sand or water on them or rubbing against oil covered bodies when dressed go out. It also keeps sand in only one elevator for the hotel cleaning staff. You will be judged by the hotel and other guests by how you are dressed in the lobby more than how you are dressed at the pool.
Look at hotel in room papers, look for signage and ask if you are in doubt about the lobby or eating facilities.

Texas_swimmer
United States of America

Post by Texas_swimmer » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:23 pm

If you feel the gym you attend is to family ofiented maybe you could try a different gym out? If not I would just wear some swim trunks over bc of the family atmosphere and having to walk far. I know ive said before I just wear my suit, googles and bring my towel out to the pool but in a situation like yours id do what I mentioned.

Good luck!
Life is too short to worry what other people think.

briefboy64

Post by briefboy64 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:16 pm

I'm going to be in this situation soon, planning to join a YMCA to train for triathlon.
If it's an understated suit (solid navy, black, etc) then I wouldn't worry too much. But people probably wouldn't mind if you associate yourself with the social image of a swimmer. I would suggest investing in some warmups or maybe even a parka from a swimming-oriented company. Speedo's Team parka is $125 USD and their less fashionable Adult Parka is a dollar less. TYR's Alliance Team parka is $110. It'll keep you warm coming out of the water (or a hot tub in the winter even). This online store has a bunch of the different brands all together as well as their own branded one that's pretty inexpensive at $80.

I might get one myself just to be on the safe side since all I plan to train in is Arena\Nike briefs or my TYR tights.

...:::sam:::...
Australia

Post by ...:::sam:::... » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:38 am

If you have to walk all over the country side, then maybe a singlet or T-shirt and a towel to wrap around you. You dont have to parade in Speedos.

Eaite Randjam
United States of America

Post by Eaite Randjam » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:07 am

I'm from WA State here and work out at the local YMCA, and thus far I have gotten people who look at me but I have never had adverse reactions. Then again, I haven't had to go around the corner, down the hall, out and so forth.

I say be bold. The worst that can happen is if you have obvious wood in a tiny bright coloured suit, and they ask you to cover up a bit. Honestly, you have good reason to make the trek prepared for laps since the facility fails to have a direct connection from pool to locker. Be confident, and I assure you people won't be damaged mentally.

Hope the words of encouragement help in your decision!

tanned bum

Post by tanned bum » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:46 am

Look around -- what are the other guys doing? You are over thinking the situation. If you stress this much in every aspect of your life you will end up with ulcers.

speedo_guy

Post by speedo_guy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:06 am

This is a good question. In similar situations I've worn running shorts (rather than swim shorts) to and from the poolside. I think it's nice to push boundaries a little but it's easy to be taken as an exhibitionist. If you slip off the shorts nearer the pool it looks like you are choosing to wear speedos for swimming rather than parading around! I think pushing the boundaries too much can fuel the fire. Sounds like an awkward setup either way!

tanned bum

Post by tanned bum » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:53 pm

walking from the locker room to the pool isn't exactly "parading around". What do you do with the shorts when you are coming back to locker? Put them on over a wet suit and ended up with two wet garments that need chlorine washed out?
Again - go with the flow. If all the guys are covered up, cover up. If half are and half aren't -- cover up. (if you are asking about it you will feel more at ease covered)

5t9
Canada

Post by 5t9 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:55 pm

I live in a high-rise that has a pool and a gym. It's a rental, not like a condo where ther are usually "rules" about being completely clothed on your way in or out of such areas, so I use discretion.

I agree with tannedbum, really, why should you soak more garments and have more wringing wet stuff to deal with? So my solution is, on my way to and from the pool, to wear a T-shirt, wrap a towel around, and when I get to the pool, just strip them off, and speedo on into the water. On the return trip, I towel off, and the T and towel are a little wet, but they can dry out quickly.

Also, the elvators are very small in this building, and at peak times (mid-late afternoon, when people are returning from school/work) they are very crowded, and, because of the unavoidable squishiness, I would feel a little uncomfortable sporting just a speedo, and I think so would others, especially, if I got pressed up against them (...or...not :))

It depends on the setting. At college/university gyms, it seemed OK, I saw just about every guy on his way to the pool from the changerooms wearing just a speedo and the standard gym-issue towel hastily thrown over the shoulder. No big deal. I didn't mind in the least! Ahhh, college!

BiSurferGuy

Post by BiSurferGuy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:32 pm

I say that it is all in the attitude. If you are thinking of the speedos as something sexual, then you may feel uncomfortable. If you think of the speedo as just another piece of athletic gear for the purpose of working out, then there should be no issue. You are at a gym to work out and get fit. You are wearing a workout suit, to work out. Carry a towel with you..if it feels weird, you can always cover up. Don't worry about what other people think and what their hangups are.