G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Designer Vs Sport

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

frankjath

Designer Vs Sport

Post by frankjath » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:46 am

Which type of speedos do you guys prefer, designer or sport? I've been buying designer suits but this summer I was thinking of getting a more traditional speedo, going back to the basics if you will. Recently I have found sport style speedos to be sexier for some reason, I think its because its something you would see an athlete wearing.

Nate
Wales

Re: Designer Vs Sport

Post by Nate » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:03 pm

Definately the sport ones for me. I just prefer the look of them and of course, the practicality!

zaps
United States of America

Post by zaps » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:34 pm

I'd go with the sport style for the reason you mentioned at the end of your post:athletes. I like seeing someone who is active and wearing a speedo, not just someone laying in the sun.

tanned bum

Post by tanned bum » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:40 pm

I don't get it. What's the difference between a speedo made by a designer with a recognizable name and one made by a designer at Speedo with no name recognition? Except for name and quality, my D&G black bikini suit is identical to my black Speedo Solar.

speedoswimmer
United States of America

Post by speedoswimmer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:47 am

I always wear sport since I wear speedos primarily for swimming, plus you can get sport styles cheaper than designers, especially if you shop at swimoutlet.com

zaps
United States of America

Post by zaps » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:59 pm

tanned bum wrote:I don't get it. What's the difference between a speedo made by a designer with a recognizable name and one made by a designer at Speedo with no name recognition? Except for name and quality, my D&G black bikini suit is identical to my black Speedo Solar.
Other people's opinions on this may differ, but my opinion is that "designer" is more the kind of style where it is a fashion statement and less for athletic use. What comes to mind are suits where they are so low-cut/skimpy that you can't realistically see someone running/swimming/being athletic in them.

On the other hand, I see sport as what you would expect to see someone wearing while swimming competitively or in a triathlon or something.

frankjath

Post by frankjath » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:48 pm

@zaps Thats my thoughts exactly but I can also see others point of view in that sport swimsuits can also be fashionable.

diveguy
United States of America

Post by diveguy » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:53 am

I'm guessing also that those suits that have features like pouches, buckles, zippers, easy back door access, exposed drawstrings in front instead of hidden away inside, etc. all fall into the "designer" category. I'm guessing that this might be what the OP is asking about? Speaking for myself, none of those things appeal to me, so put me down as one who definitely prefers (loves) the "sport" kind of speedos. Especially the smaller tighter asian cut ones.
Underwater and Speedo loving straight guy

nalpages

Post by nalpages » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:51 am

I never really had an interest in the designer suits. All mine are Arena, Tyr...mainstream stuff which I guess I more like the look of too.

johnc
United States of America

Post by johnc » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:43 am

i prefer the sport suits probably because i like athletic guys

Snowbrief
United States of America

Post by Snowbrief » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:00 pm

Go with what you feel most comfortable in, and personally think you look the best in. I have liked your photos in the designers, and definitely think you would look just as good and comfortable in a regular swimming type suit. As for myself, the sport suit fits me the best because sadly, it is more acceptable.
Let's keep it brief.

tmasonxs

Post by tmasonxs » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:36 pm

deffo more of a sports kinda guy, just like the way they look on guys. Not so keen on the way some of the designer ones fit. My GB Adidas ones are my fave :)

adidas

Post by adidas » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:08 pm

I like the normal sports ones like Speedo, Tyr, Spank and especially Adidas.
I have had HOM and other styles over the years, but they don't seem practical outside the bedroom.

tanned bum

Post by tanned bum » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:51 am

zaps wrote:
tanned bum wrote:I don't get it. What's the difference between a speedo made by a designer with a recognizable name and one made by a designer at Speedo with no name recognition? Except for name and quality, my D&G black bikini suit is identical to my black Speedo Solar.
Other people's opinions on this may differ, but my opinion is that "designer" is more the kind of style where it is a fashion statement and less for athletic use. What comes to mind are suits where they are so low-cut/skimpy that you can't realistically see someone running/swimming/being athletic in them.

On the other hand, I see sport as what you would expect to see someone wearing while swimming competitively or in a triathlon or something.
My feeling is that when you get a designer suit -- half the price in the name tag. I was in the orient and watched shirts being made in a factory. Some had the Polo logo attached, some had FILA on them and others had other names. The fact is, they all sold for about $3-$5 in the factory store. To buy a designer name because of quality of fabric or cut is one thing, but for the most part, they are all pretty much designed the same. Like I said, I have a $400 pair of Prada and a Solar. There is a difference in that the material in the Prada is nicer, it is lined and a slight difference in the design. Is it worth $350 more -- NO. When I wear it at the Bellagio or Palazzo, the name on the waist band gets noticed. Personally, if I want to meet people because of my speedo, I want it to me they want to meet, not the guy in the fancy suit. It was a gift or I never would have owned it. The giver won't wear anything without a designer label. Really - what is there about pair of D&G denim jeans that make them worth $1100? Denim is denim and, for the most part, they are a copy of the Levi's 5 pocket that have been around for 150 years.

speedoboyecuador

Post by speedoboyecuador » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:58 am

If we can come to the understanding that today, everything that is a swimsuit is called a speedo. a speedo is the brand speedo but now they call a speedo to everything that is small, even gstrings are called speedos
the love of speedo keep growing my collection every month

rmf

Post by rmf » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:41 pm

I came upon this old thread and thought I would share a different point of view. It is just IMHO....

I prefer both.... I prefer sport suits to swim laps in which is about 4-5 times a week. To me, it is my workout clothes or say uniform. It is right here with my swin watch and headset.I wear the suit several times a week and I associate it with motivation, pain, determination, endurance and all that stuff that goes with physically challenging yourself, mind and body and working out...

On the flip side, when I am at the pool, tanning or at the beach having fun, I don't want to wear my sport suit because mentally I associate it with working out. On these occasions I wear a designer suit. They are a little more different, have some nice touches and probably not practical to swim laps.

Not that there is anything wrong but I personally wouldn't wear yoga clothes to go food shopping or running shorts to a party.... I see my swimsuits in the same manner.

One last thought, don't you think that most CA and some ABs are almost borderline or cross over to fashion suits? I think even Speedo is trying to make the crossover with some of their suits. The way I see some of these suits fit, they are in the drag suit category of sport swimwear. They would slow you down rather than glide better in the water...

Again just a different take on an old conversation...
straight, married w/ kids.

speedostudent

Post by speedostudent » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:53 pm

I prefer sport suits all the way. The designer suits are often uncomfortable for me, and with my body type, they don't fit particularly well, either. Never had those problems with a basic racing speedo. In addition, as Nate, zaps, and johnc mentioned, the sport-cut speedo is strongly linked with the image of an athlete. I have a very strong attraction to swimmers and divers, and what originally drew me to speedos when I was younger was partly a desire to emulate them, since they were both the most attractive and most impressive athletes I'd ever seen. Designer suits are all very well to show off the goods at a pool party or other event, but for practicality, a good tanline, and occasionally a sensual experience, you can't improve on the basics!

Second88
Spain

Post by Second88 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:09 am

Sport, definitely!! I use them for swimming and for laying in the sun, so the sport ones can be used for both purposes. Plus I don't like g-strings, thongs and other fashion styles, I don't find them attractive at all...
Speedo amateur who is getting addicted...

rmf

Post by rmf » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:31 am

I completely agree that G-strings, thongs and some of the thicker types of material automatically fall into designer/fashion suits. Thongs - By nature of design, they are not conducive to gliding in the water (butt cheeks need to be flat & have a smooth line from your lower back down to your thighs). Suits like AB's wonderjock or 2EROS are also fashion suits - as are those with ties on the front. As a swimmer, you don't want that extra material on the suit or things causing drag when you are racing. It's just added weight and could slow you down.

I guess in the end, even though we all appreciate and like wearing the "swim brief" style, we break ourselves down to the next level and prefer very specific styles and such.... All good points!
straight, married w/ kids.

SoccerDan

Post by SoccerDan » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:34 pm

I am more likely to buy a sport suit rather than a fashion one, yet that's only because I have always worn sport suits and I am used to their simplicity. Lately I've been thinking of actually trying out some designer suits but I am not sure what would look good on me, sometimes it takes me a while to be fully convinced before buying certain suit style. I like rmf's comment, it is truly a circumstantial thing. If you are going to hang out by the pool just to chill with friends and have a couple of drinks and have a good time I think a designer suit seems to be more fitting. If you are going to be swimming actively or diving then wearing a sport suit would be the way to go!