G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Preventing wearing out

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

MelbSwimmer
Australia

Preventing wearing out

Post by MelbSwimmer » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:15 am

I have a large collection of speedo style swimwear of all different brands. Regardless of the brad they all seem to wear out in a strip about 2 inches wide up the centre of my butt making them see through. Can be fun in some situations but not really suitable for the public pool.

Any suggestions as to why the all wear out there, and more importantly how to prevent it?

5t9
Canada

Re: Preventing wearing out

Post by 5t9 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:17 am

Do you swim in fresh, salt, or chrlorinated water? Rinsing out your suit after chlorine exposure might help retard the breakdown of the fabric, either in the speedo brand solution, or with mild soap and water.

I have a speedo brand polo suit that has stood the test of time. It is 3 years old, and has kept its shape reasonably well, and is not worn in the places you mention. The fabric is thicker, and the suit has a inner liner throughout, not just in the crotch area, or front, so I think these factors have contributed to the suit's long life.

Generally, thicker fabrics, I find last longer. Vuthy suits seem made of thicker fabric than any others, but even this brand will wear thin over time.

In clorinated water, the butt-crack area, I think gets a "double exposure" to the chlorine, as the water gets between your cheeks and attacks the fabric from inside and out.

Sooner or later, the suit wears out. In my experience, the cheaper suits tend expire fairly quickly. Sporti might seem like a bargain (@$9.99 US), but they are thin, and wear out after a short time, just the way you describe.

Hope this is helpful :)

MelbSwimmer
Australia

Post by MelbSwimmer » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:06 pm

Thanks
Swim in chlorinated water, will try being more thorough washing them out.
On the upside that means being naked for a longer time in the change rooms :-)

5t9
Canada

Post by 5t9 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:11 am

Mmmmmm:)

BozeHawk
Canada

Post by BozeHawk » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:14 am

If you're wearing them in a chlorinated pool the secret is rinse, lather, repeat. Then hang dry.

tanned bum

Post by tanned bum » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:39 am

If you don't want a suit to wear out -- leave it in the drawer.

The best best way to protect your suit is to avoid the chlorinated pools. Stick with "fresh water" pools or salt water pools --not ocean water salt water pools but the swimming pools that salinated or using salt. In my area all new pools are salinated water -- not chlorine.(old ones being converted) There is no taste of salt but the water is fresh and clean to swim in. This type of pool is much safer for human skin, hair and swimwear.

However, the best part about swimwear wearing out is the joy of buying a new favorite - or two - or three!

PeterSF

Post by PeterSF » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:37 pm

Isn't it the lycra/elastene content? Nylon suits (in my experience) don't seem to suffer this way. Speedo Endurance+ seems to last, though I find the fabric too thick for real comfort, even with the liner cut away.

<3 speedos
Singapore

Post by <3 speedos » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:41 pm

5t9 wrote:Do you swim in fresh, salt, or chrlorinated water? Rinsing out your suit after chlorine exposure might help retard the breakdown of the fabric, either in the speedo brand solution, or with mild soap and water.

I have a speedo brand polo suit that has stood the test of time. It is 3 years old, and has kept its shape reasonably well, and is not worn in the places you mention. The fabric is thicker, and the suit has a inner liner throughout, not just in the crotch area, or front, so I think these factors have contributed to the suit's long life.

Generally, thicker fabrics, I find last longer. Vuthy suits seem made of thicker fabric than any others, but even this brand will wear thin over time.

In clorinated water, the butt-crack area, I think gets a "double exposure" to the chlorine, as the water gets between your cheeks and attacks the fabric from inside and out.

Sooner or later, the suit wears out. In my experience, the cheaper suits tend expire fairly quickly. Sporti might seem like a bargain (@$9.99 US), but they are thin, and wear out after a short time, just the way you describe.

Hope this is helpful :)
good tip, my speedo wear out often too
nil

tanned bum

Post by tanned bum » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:42 am

if the butt is wearing out before the rest of the suit you must be sitting on it a lot. The deck around a pool is murder on swimsuit butts. If you pull yourself out of the pool and twist to sit on the edge your suit it taking a real beating by that move.

...:::sam:::...
Australia

Post by ...:::sam:::... » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:39 pm

PeterSF wrote:Isn't it the lycra/elastene content? Nylon suits (in my experience) don't seem to suffer this way. Speedo Endurance+ seems to last, though I find the fabric too thick for real comfort, even with the liner cut away.
I think exactly the same as PeterSF.

I havent stretched the material in Nylon Aussiebums, but the chlorine does fade them instead.

BozeHawk
Canada

Post by BozeHawk » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:35 pm

If your suit is wearing out a strip about 2 inches wide up the centre of your butt, it means the guy behind you is too close when lining up for swim practice.