G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

New Friend

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

DrD

New Friend

Post by DrD » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:12 am

Started talking to one of the guys who swims regularly at my local pool. I had been admiring his swimming style for some time as he seems to glide through the water, with minimal splash and effort.
He is also a fellow speedo wearer and usually swims in the 'fast' lane (I stick to the Medium speed as I tend to mix up Freestyle and Breaststroke).
So I started with a comment on his swimming and how easy it looked - was it something he was doing - a different stroke etc.
Turns out he started swimming just 5 years ago (he is I believe mid 20's) and confessed to having a mortal fear of water. A back injury caused his to start swimming as a gentle exercise and he has never looked back. As for his swimming style - he kinda self taught and says not to copy him as his mates who were State level at school says it all wrong! He only kicks once per arm stroke (opposite foot) whereas I do lots of little kicks.
I still think his style is great to watch and he certainly is fitter than me (also 10+ years younger!).
Hopefully we can strike up another conversation in the future - I see him at least once a week.
So glad to be able to meet people who enjoy swimming and wear proper swimwear to boot! Even coming from a new swimmer that must have been a challenge for a young guy. Good to see!

Nate
Wales

Re: New Friend

Post by Nate » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:02 am

It sounds alot like a book I'm reading on a swim technique called 'Total Immersion Swimming', it's meant to be a whole new take on swimming making it look effortless and glide easily through the water. Perhaps next time you see him ask him if he's ever read it and you could both look it up, it helped me out tonnes in preserving energy and focusing on certain body parts I wouldn't have thought of focusing on when honing my stroke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC8ZZZhabp4

DrD

Post by DrD » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:33 am

Thanks Nate I'll look it up tonight. And good way to start another conversation

It's something's I've missed swimming here in a new city. I don't have another to swim with and chat to between laps. Maybe I'll find a new swimmer friend.

DrD

Post by DrD » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:34 am

Wow Total Immersion Freestyle looks pretty close to the style of the guy I met. I might have to give it a go - although I'm not sure the leg work will keep me moving very far! :)

Good suggestion Nate!

jim365
Great Britain

Post by jim365 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:03 pm

I am in my late 40s and for a number of reasons (total fear of water following a near drowning in early childhood for starters!) I couldn't swim for a long time. When I turned 40 I decided that this was stupid and so I went to find a swimming teacher. As my major issue was water confidence I had to find a swimming teacher who would actually be in the water with me. A surprising number in London just want to shout at you from the poolside!

Anyway I learned to swim using this method. It is based on the Alexander Technique and there is a strong empahasis on keeping the body in alignment to prevent injury. The kick is surprisngly powerful and when it is done properly you simply glide through the water. It is a wonderful feeling and a good way of experiencing the water. Just writing about it makes me want to get back in the water again.

Maybe you could find a tutor somewhere near and try out a few lessons to see what you have been missing. You would then have a lot to talk to your new friend about-apart from Speedos of course.

Do let us know if you manage to talk to him again.

T419

Post by T419 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:53 am

Similarly to you, I had never learnt to swim as a kid - after some bad experiences - And only recently learned. I looked into the total immersion stuff and tried to teach myself through various methods, but in the end it just took a patient teacher I trusted (one on one) who accepted my limitations, but at the same time pushed me to get better and better

Learning to be comfortable in deep water was my biggest hurdle - but I learnt to tread water really quickly and it took away a lot of the anxiety about being in the water. Literally, by the end of a week of treading water at a beach on and off, as well as a quick lesson on how to position yourself in the water, I had learnt to swim a lap of a 25m pool.... without goggles too!

And with goggles have since learnt how to confidently swim along the bottom of a pool.

Everyone is different though, and I found that too many online "teach yourself" guides can't properly help you assess the REASON you're afraid of the water to allow you to over come it.

I'm still no amazing swimmer, but I'm not fearful in the water and can enjoy the beach or paddling around at the pool with friends now.

P.S. Sorry to hijack the thread a little. But this topic isn't talked about much.

jim365
Great Britain

Post by jim365 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:45 am

Glad that it isn't just me. My teacher was actually a wonderful Aussie guy called Nick. He had the patience of a saint with me and it took a long time to build up confidence. You are quite right though you have to understand why you are afraid of water before you can do something about it. Nick was wonderful in this respect and we were soon sat on the bottom of the pool singing "What do you do with a drunken sailor". The pool never seemed quite so scary after that!

DrD

Post by DrD » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:54 am

Great to hear. I was lucky growing up we had a pool in the backyard so I was a little water baby as a kid (I was always made to at least wear a shirt at the dinner table - with speedos on the bottom half).
I remember just loving being in the water.
I'm not a great swimmer, nor a very skilled one but glad I am not having to learn to as an adult - that is something you guys should be proud of! Well done!

jim365
Great Britain

Post by jim365 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:18 am

Thank you. It was one of the bravest things I ever did one way or another. I clearly remember the day when I finally decided that I had to master swimming on my back and screwed up my courage to push off on my own. Terrifying but the sense of acheivement was off the scale when I managed it.