G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Where in the world are speedos still popular

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

frankjath

Where in the world are speedos still popular

Post by frankjath » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:48 pm

Hi guys so I've been hearing a lot lately from my european friends that speedos are rare among men and that boardshorts are gaining popularity in european countries. I would love to here from you guys and people from these european countries if this is the case. Where are speedos still popular among men of all ages. I here thats its mostly older men that wear speedos in theses countries and that the younger guys are moving toward the American boardshorts.

I watch theses videos on youtube which I believe are based somewhere in Italy would love to know where in Italy. http://youtu.be/qmhXgatnios Its nice to see guys playing sports in speedos.

swimcmk
United States of America

Re: Where in the world are speedos still popular

Post by swimcmk » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:07 pm

In the southern USA there are a lot of people who wear Speedos due to the amount of swim teams. Triathlons are pretty popular activity in Arizona and Texas and most of the people wear Speedos or Jammers during the swim parts. Unfortunately I do notice beaches and lakes are 100% board shorts.

frankjath

Post by frankjath » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:26 am

Its nice to see that swim teams still wear speedos. It was not that long ago that all men wear required to swim naked in pools and compete naked as well. I hope there doesn't come a point where guys start wearing trunks or boardshorts on swim teams. Its very rare that I see a guy in a speedo on a beach here unless I'm at the nude beach or the one frequented by tourists. I do however see some guys wearing Jammers at the beach but its still rare.

diveguy
United States of America

Post by diveguy » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:56 am

I check out those YouTube speedo vids from Italy too. The dude that shoots them seems to move around a bit. Pretty sure that the ones from a few years ago were all from around Rimini along the Adriatic coast. (East edge of the "boot") Now they all seem to be from Naples alongside the Mediterranean on the western edge. Doesn't really matter because apparently, it's the same all over Italy, including Sicily. By the way, 90% or more of the vids are shot during the month of August, when the whole country shuts down for the month to go on vacation, many if not most go to the coast, and according to the shooter of the speedo vids, about 40% of the men where speedos. And as you can see, they like the really small ones. Thank god! I call it Speedo Heaven. I love that it's a mix of everything - men, women, kids, old folks, families, teens, gay, straight, no matter. Lots and lots of skin showing, as it should be. Bikinis, speedos, laying out, kicking soccer balls around, swimming, promenading along the beach or the boardwalks, volleyball, splashing around, it's all so freakin' fantastic. I must go there someday. The good news, too, is that there are a lot of younger men, teens, and male children all wearing their speedos, and they all look so natural and comfortable in them. Not a care in the world. Which is the exception to the trend that I too am convinced is happening in other speedo-centric regions worldwide where it does indeed seem like younger dudes are choosing more and more to wear the long and baggy shit instead of the speedos that the older generations still embrace.
Underwater and Speedo loving straight guy

speedoboy26

Post by speedoboy26 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:52 pm

In the early 90's, almost everybody was wearing a Speedo here in Belgium. When I was a teenager 10 years ago, almost everbody changed to baggy swimshorts (most of the time with boxers underneath and showing the waistband). If you were wearing a Speedo at that time, people were laughing. Only older people were still wearing Speedo's.

But now, more and more swimming pools are starting to prohibit swimming shorts, luckily enough. Now I see more boys wearing tight swimwear compared to 10 years ago. Most of them are wearing square cut Speedo's or jammers, but I hope Speedo briefs will become more popular again the next years :).

DutchSpeedoLover
Netherlands

Post by DutchSpeedoLover » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:26 am

Last summer on a hot day I was at a lake in Germany and there were several guys wearing Speedos. So I got the impression that the Speedo is coming back. Okay, it 's maybe a very slow comeback.

frankjath

Post by frankjath » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:38 pm

I wonder how open Italy is about nudity like the places in the video. I wonder if you can go nude on one of those beaches? It looks like people are pretty laid back and might not care.

diveguy
United States of America

Post by diveguy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:06 am

frankjath wrote:I wonder how open Italy is about nudity like the places in the video. I wonder if you can go nude on one of those beaches? It looks like people are pretty laid back and might not care.
I've never seen any male nudity in these videos, nor have I ever read of it on any source I've sought regarding speedos in Italy. I'm sure the voyeur shooting those videos would have documented dudes' schlongs hanging out in the open if there were any. My guess is that male nudity is not acceptable on those beaches. Besides, they're family oriented beaches after all, there's kids there. I wouldn't want to see fully naked dudes there. Love seeing the tiny speedos on the guys but beyond that, enough is enough.
Underwater and Speedo loving straight guy

nalpages

Post by nalpages » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:16 am

Still popular here in Hong Kong. I swam tonight and only saw one guy who wasn't wearing briefs.

Snowbrief
United States of America

Post by Snowbrief » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:21 pm

You're a lucky man nalpages! Keep up the tradition, and so will they.
Let's keep it brief.

nalpages

Post by nalpages » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:16 am

I never wear otherwise. Partly because i like to have my swim stuff on hand to swim whenever i feel like it and briefs dry quick enough that i don’t need to carry around a soggy suit all day.

I’m going to Tokyo in a couple months. Will report back on the situation there. Also looking forward to buying swimwear there, which as i recall is higher quality than what we get here. I know the Arena products are different.

Can anyone recommend places to swim and buy swimwear in Tokyo? Last time (3 years ago) i just visited victoria sports.

Baltspeed
Latvia

Post by Baltspeed » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:04 pm

Since many years I stay in Latvija several times a year. We often go swimming in indoor pools or in summer at a lake. Each time there are guys in speedos or jammers. The last time when I was there several weeks ago there were a lot of guys in their speedos or briefs in the indoor-pool. Girls and women wore mostly bikinis. All these years I saw only a few guys wearing bordshorts or so.
Most of the clothing-stores which offers swimwear are also offering speedos. But now the choice is limited due to wintertime. That´s why I had to buy a speedo of bad quality. :( In summer the choice is good with mostly speedos, briefs and jammers. And also shaved bodies are becoming more and more popular. :)

...:::sam:::...
Australia

Post by ...:::sam:::... » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:26 am

Manly, Sydney today! Very very popular!

Speedofanatic

Post by Speedofanatic » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:57 am

I think it can be culture. In certain countries it is seen as a gay thing so people stop. More puritan the culture the less they accept it.

Also from what I read places like Germany, Italy And some countries the culture accepts it. There was a poll done to accept it. But they also said Scandinavian regions weren't in favor of them either

sexy29_1

Post by sexy29_1 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:28 pm

Come to Playa Del Carmen, México and you can see some locals and foreigners using them and you can use it without giggling or something... ;)

Snowbrief
United States of America

Post by Snowbrief » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:33 pm

sexy29_1 wrote:Come to Playa Del Carmen, México and you can see some locals and foreigners using them and you can use it without giggling or something... ;)
You are a tempting sort sexy29! I really wish I could make a trip south of the border! Enjoy!
Let's keep it brief.