G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Did you swim today?

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

52dno98
United States of America

Re: Did you swim today?

Post by 52dno98 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:44 am

rmf wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:38 am
This was this week's workout and pretty typical for my Masters class.

I also supplement 1500m-2500m in between classes at least 2-3 times a week during the summer & when I can get to the pool. I am pretty lucky that we are members at a Olympic size pool during the summer which makes counting easy.
What's the brief to jammer ratio for the men in your Masters group?

rmf

Post by rmf » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:03 pm

52dno98 wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:44 am
rmf wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:38 am
This was this week's workout and pretty typical for my Masters class.

I also supplement 1500m-2500m in between classes at least 2-3 times a week during the summer & when I can get to the pool. I am pretty lucky that we are members at a Olympic size pool during the summer which makes counting easy.
What's the brief to jammer ratio for the men in your Masters group?
On average, there are about 5 guys that attend regularly - give or take including me. 3 briefs, 1 square cut, 1 jammer. Occasionally another guy might show up who also wears jammers.

I have said this before but there are a lot of guys who will swim in briefs at our pool. You also see a lot of square cut suit too. It is because I go to to a pool that has some serious swimmers. There are always 3-4 dedicated swim lanes and they are always full at any given time. As I mentioned, it's a big pool but a membership is required. Because of it's size, it attracts a lot of people training for Triathlons outside our neighborhood who want to train in this size pool - outdoors. Membership is capped but once you are in, you get first priority to renew. The club also has a very good summer club swim team for kids up to high schoolers. The pool is all about swimming. To add, I live in an city where swimming is just as popular in the summer as ice hockey is during the winter. Our local high schools put out a lot of top National swimmers and some have even gone to the Olympics. I believe all the exposure to swimming - guys just know that if you are going to train, swimming in briefs is what you do. Other people don't care because they see it all-the-time at the pool or because their kids swim on the swim teams. But here is the caveat, I don't see guys necessarily hanging out or walking around in briefs socializing at the snack bar with their families. Square cut yes, but not briefs. They usually put shorts. Also, if you go to the lakes and hang out on the public beaches, you probably won't see someone in briefs... I am sure guys do but I have never seen it.
straight, married w/ kids.

BJE
United States of America

Post by BJE » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:20 pm

Yes

52dno98
United States of America

Post by 52dno98 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:43 am

rmf wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:03 pm
Other people don't care because they see it all-the-time at the pool or because their kids swim on the swim teams.
Do the kids on teams wear briefs? Where I live in the SE, the kids are all in jammers, until they get to high school-age. Then it's probably 50/50.

rmf

Post by rmf » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:31 pm

52dno98 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:43 am

Do the kids on teams wear briefs? Where I live in the SE, the kids are all in jammers, until they get to high school-age. Then it's probably 50/50.
There are several age brackets but the I would say this is the general breakdown. 9-10 yr definitely none, 11-12 yr pretty sure none. 13-14 maybe a couple, 15-19 >95% if not more. So by they time they are in middle school or high school, they pretty much all are wearing briefs and practicing in briefs. I think in college it's 100% or at least that is what I see for the University here. Just last week I saw a guy who definitely looked too old to be a college student wearing briefs at the pool that had the local University logo on it so he must have been on the swim team in college. They are something that you definitely can't buy at the bookstore or or anywhere in town.

Something to note, the high school my kids will go to has two swim teams. A club team and the regular high school team. They would have to try out to be on the high school's actual swim team. If they are not good enough, they can swim on the school's club team. So the kids who are swimming at these summer swim clubs have been swimming since they were little and are pretty serious about the sport. I think at a certain point, they make the switch. My 11 yr old is in the pool by 7:45 am while these older kids are in the pool at 6:00 am. What a way to spend your summer ....

52dno98
United States of America

Post by 52dno98 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:01 am

rmf wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:31 pm
My 11 yr old is in the pool by 7:45 am while these older kids are in the pool at 6:00 am. What a way to spend your summer ....
My cousin was a very good swimmer whose times were certainly good enough to get him a college scholarship (maybe not D1 though). Problem is, because of having to train CONSTANTLY- I think he often had two practices a day, he burned out and quit swimming his junior year of high school. I remember my aunt and uncle being pretty peeved because they'd kind of planned on him going to college on the cheap.

rmf

Post by rmf » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:23 pm

My cousin was a very good swimmer whose times were certainly good enough to get him a college scholarship (maybe not D1 though). Problem is, because of having to train CONSTANTLY- I think he often had two practices a day, he burned out and quit swimming his junior year of high school. I remember my aunt and uncle being pretty peeved because they'd kind of planned on him going to college on the cheap.
[/quote]

yea, I have a few stories of kids, sports scholarships and burned out/drop out back from when I was in school and even now. The story is always the same no matter what day and age. We are definitely not planning for any sports scholarships but we are also lucky because we live in town where there is a top tier University that pretty affordable for the education wise that you get in my opinion.... and I joke with my kids and tell them that they will live at home (not really - we are going to make then suffer in the dorms for at least a year) - they are all for it now but not sure 8 yrs from now they will agree... One thing for sure, we will definitely be more focused on their grades than swimming or any other sports/activities because the university here is not that easy to get into.

rmf

Post by rmf » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:14 am

Posting last night's Masters workout. This is done in meters so at the end you'll swim about 2 miles. Some of the better swimmers seem to finish just over an hour while some take longer. Overall, everyone is done in 1.5 hrs. If you ever thought about doing a Master Swim class but are not sure if you can do it, I've posted two examples of a typical class. Try it on your own and see how you do.

Warm-up:
200 swim, 100 kick, 200 pull, 100 kick, 200 swim

Main:
2 x 50 Fast
2 x 75 Build
2 x 75 Fast
2 x 100 Easy
2 x 50 Build
2 x 75 Fast
150 easy

Drill:
2 x 400 IM Kick/Drill/Swim by 50 w/25 non-free
2 x 100 Swim 1 set being non-free (break if 50's is ok)

400 cool down

speedoboi
Canada

Post by speedoboi » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:17 pm

Yes, i did swim today - 16 laps. I wore my TYR swim briefs. After swimming, I had some extra fun. But that's another story.

VPL
United States of America

Post by VPL » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:57 am

speedoboi wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:17 pm
But that's another story.
would love to hear that story speedoboi!

Sam
United States of America

Post by Sam » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:51 pm

I enjoy swimming in a 1" swim brief which I also wear for competitions.

Baltspeed
Latvia

Post by Baltspeed » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:18 pm

Not today, but yesterday. I swam a warm up of 200 m (8 laps), later I swam 1000 m (40 laps). I've worn some older briefs which didn't fit right. So it took me 3 minutes more to swim this distance than with my Aussiebum or Neptunescepter speedos.

gx0100
Wales

Post by gx0100 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:50 pm

I’m actually going to the pool tonight – haven’t been in a year or so! (Shame on me...) Although, I did swim in the sea a fair bit this spring and summer.
I haven’t worn my Speedos for ages though, so I’m looking forward to my return to swim as well as my Speedo reunion. I just hope I’m not too horrifically unfit...

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:58 pm

How long do you all spend on the pool doing your sets?
Going to start going in the new year and I was wondering what I should start doing to build up my distance. Not worried about putting in fast times.
Love speedos, running shorts, rugby shorts, Aussie rules footy shorts.

Nate
Wales

Post by Nate » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:05 pm

Speedoaddict wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:58 pm
How long do you all spend on the pool doing your sets?
Going to start going in the new year and I was wondering what I should start doing to build up my distance. Not worried about putting in fast times.
Start with 20 mins, progress to 30, then 45, then before you know it you'll be swimming for an hour and maybe more. Let us know how you get on!

Nate
Wales

Post by Nate » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:46 pm

So quite funny that this thread has been resurrected - I've started back swimming too! My work schedule over the next month is quite light so I'm making the most of it and getting back into the H2O!

My fitness is not half of what it used to be. I'm swimming about half hour at a time but I've now swum for 5 days in a row!

I'm working towards completing this set here -->

Warm Up
400 Swim
300 Pull
200 Kick
4 x 25 sprint @ 1:00

Main Set
400 Swim
8 x 50 sprint @ 1:00
300 swim
6 x 50 sprint @ 1:00
200 swim
4 x 50 sprint @ 1:00
100 swim
2 x 50 swim @ 1:00

Cool Down
200 pull

At the moment I do the warm up set and then usually hit the sauna, or I'll get to the 8 x 50's and hit the sauna. I'm aiming the complete this set during a session before the end of this month. It feels SO good to be back in the water regurlarly and of course rocking the speedos!

MeSooQuiet
United States of America

Post by MeSooQuiet » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:01 pm

I swam today for about an hour. I do a few laps with just a kickboard, swim a few more, and do some running in the water. Today I tried out my new speedo solar in the black and white stripes. It holds everything in place nicely, but the suit is fully lined (front and back). The suit is a bit heavier. Not sure if I will keep it in my regular rotation.

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:04 am

MeSooQuiet wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:01 pm
I swam today for about an hour. I do a few laps with just a kickboard, swim a few more, and do some running in the water. Today I tried out my new speedo solar in the black and white stripes. It holds everything in place nicely, but the suit is fully lined (front and back). The suit is a bit heavier. Not sure if I will keep it in my regular rotation.
You have a water polo suit. You should try drag shorts. I hear once you have swam in those over your speedos and then take them off you feel like your swimming faster.

gx0100
Wales

Post by gx0100 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:06 pm

gx0100 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:50 pm
I’m actually going to the pool tonight – haven’t been in a year or so! (Shame on me...) Although, I did swim in the sea a fair bit this spring and summer.
I haven’t worn my Speedos for ages though, so I’m looking forward to my return to swim as well as my Speedo reunion. I just hope I’m not too horrifically unfit...
I was indeed horrifically unfit, but I have been quite ill so I’m not too hard on myself – just a little disappointed!
I think if I do a few weeks of 20 minute swims so as not to shock my body and slowly build up, my stamina (and physique!) should improve.

I go to the local council-run pool and, sadly, there is no sauna for post-swim relaxation. Last night I just spent an inordinately long time in the shower to make up for it!

Nate, your regime sounds intense. I can only cross my fingers I build up my stamina to match your swims :)

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:19 pm

gx0100 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:06 pm
gx0100 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:50 pm
I was indeed horrifically unfit, but I have been quite ill so I’m not too hard on myself – just a little disappointed!
I think if I do a few weeks of 20 minute swims so as not to shock my body and slowly build up, my stamina (and physique!) should improve.

I go to the local council-run pool and, sadly, there is no sauna for post-swim relaxation. Last night I just spent an inordinately long time in the shower to make up for it!

Nate, your regime sounds intense. I can only cross my fingers I build up my stamina to match your swims :)
I don’t think I could do 20mins at the moment. I am so unfit.