G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Why (Most) Men (in the U.S.) Don’t (Won’t) Wear Speedos

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

karlos
Great Britain

Why (Most) Men (in the U.S.) Don’t (Won’t) Wear Speedos

Post by karlos » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:21 am

I stumbled upon this the other day and although a lengthy read is relevant to both the US and imo the UK as well.

http://www.sebringsil.com/speedowear.htm

speedoluv
Singapore

Re: Why (Most) Men (in the U.S.) Don’t (Won’t) Wear Speedos

Post by speedoluv » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:12 am

Thanks for sharing the article. It was a really interesting read!

For those who have not come across this article, it shows how speedo-phobic some people can be!

http://www.queerty.com/gay-lifeguard-re ... y-20160125

Bostonswimmer
United States of America

Post by Bostonswimmer » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:16 pm

I must say is a big swimmer in Boston mass I find that the speedo is making a huge comeback. I go to to local pools and I would say it's about a 40% speedo brief to the jammers. I have never had strange looks or comments. I find it less so on the beaches but never had bad looks.

shadowsplash

Post by shadowsplash » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:21 am

Interesting opinion of one person who wrote that article, non the less here's my take on this issue...
On the beach I wear swim shorts, its not fashion issue or feeling out of place but more so for convince
I can jump into my car and go do shopping without having to change.

However at the pool its speedo's purely cos doing laps is uncomfortable in swim shorts or boardshorts
The majority of people at pools here wear speedo's or jammer's and it makes sense and I'm comfortable stripping down and wearing them
We'll ignore the odd the guy who comes kitted out in tight speedo's who then jumps into the pool and thinks he's an Olympic swimmer and proceeds to make so much splashing they make a normal non swimmer look pro
I swim daily so I get to know the regulars and the people who make a serious effort, interesting times.

Interestingly I've noticed a lot of younger early 20s swimmers turning up in loose shorts and can even sense their desire to want to wear a speedo again, its so obvious as they swim really damn well and that they must have done so at school level

frankjath

Post by frankjath » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:22 pm

speedoluv wrote:Thanks for sharing the article. It was a really interesting read!

For those who have not come across this article, it shows how speedo-phobic some people can be!

This is really unfortunate. This is why I stopped caring what people think of me. If they can't handle me in a speedo or thong then... I will surround myself with people who accept me for just the way I am.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zaps
United States of America

Post by zaps » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:19 am

frankjath wrote:
speedoluv wrote:Thanks for sharing the article. It was a really interesting read!

This is really unfortunate. This is why I stopped caring what people think of me. If they can't handle me in a speedo or thong then... I will surround myself with people who accept me for just the way I am.
I try my best not to care what other people think. I'm still young, so the high school must-fit-in mindset can be hard to shake sometimes, but I've been pretty good about it recently. So far this year, I've gone speedos only every time that I've used the hot tub at my apartment complex, and the more I wear the speedos, the more comfortable I get and the less I care about what people think.

When it comes to friends, I figure that if wearing a speedo makes them think less of me as a friend, then they weren't really a friend to begin with.

In public, on vacation especially, I don't care what people think because most likely, I'll never see any of those people again, so why should I care what they think of me and my speedo?

frankjath

Post by frankjath » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:11 am

zaps wrote:
frankjath wrote:

I try my best not to care what other people think. I'm still young, so the high school must-fit-in mindset can be hard to shake sometimes, but I've been pretty good about it recently. So far this year, I've gone speedos only every time that I've used the hot tub at my apartment complex, and the more I wear the speedos, the more comfortable I get and the less I care about what people think.

When it comes to friends, I figure that if wearing a speedo makes them think less of me as a friend, then they weren't really a friend to begin with.

In public, on vacation especially, I don't care what people think because most likely, I'll never see any of those people again, so why should I care what they think of me and my speedo?
Way to go man! Keep it up... that's the right attitude to have. The more young guys that wear speedos brings visibility... guys who want to wear speedos but are nervous might see you and give them permission to do the same.

zaps
United States of America

Post by zaps » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:27 pm

Thanks! I'm trying to keep it up and stop wearing shorts altogether. Right now the motivation is to be comfortable wearing the speedo on an upcoming cruise in March. I'll also have another cruise later this summer. I know I can make myself wear the speedo on the cruise, but I want to get myself to the point of comfort that I can wear it without even batting an eye.

Bostonswimmer
United States of America

Post by Bostonswimmer » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:24 pm

Good for you! It took me along time to wear them at the gym and the beach. Now I just don't even think of it. It never even crosses my mind. Yes I still get some snickers from immature young men and ladies but like I give a crap. And I know I look better than them.

Swimbrieffetish

Post by Swimbrieffetish » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:12 pm

Well for me I wear square cuts when swimming but sometimes the only person that sometimes over thinks this is probably you as in myself

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

nmspeedoboi
United States of America

Post by nmspeedoboi » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:20 pm

Re: speedoluv's link on SpeedoPhobia: This is a sad commentary on how "political correctness" or whatever you want to call it has degraded our society. As a kid, I used to go to a water park in the 1980's and Speedo suits were the ONLY suits worn by all of the male life guards. I don't know if it was the park's designated "uniform" for male guards or not; but I can't remember ever seeing a male guard in anything other than a red Speedo with a little white cross on one side at the front. Frankly I am sick and tired of the monolithic, conformist society that seems to be the desire of some to foist on everyone.