G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Do regular swimmers enjoy speedos like we do?

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

52dno98
United States of America

Do regular swimmers enjoy speedos like we do?

Post by 52dno98 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:41 pm

I wonder if regular swimmers find anything racy about wearing speedos? By that I mean people who swim A LOT, like college swimmers or serious Masters competitors. Since most Americans disapprove of wearing speedos, I wonder if regular swimmers approach wearing them like a) they're embarrassing but are more comfortable and comfort trumps vanity or b) they're taboo and there's something thrilling about breaking that taboo. I would imagine that most of us here lean toward the latter choice.

What got me thinking about this is an Instagram account of an elite European swim team whose male members tend to wear 2" Tyr suits, and I wonder if they get as much of a thrill about wearing a minimal suit as I do, or is it just more comfortable? Or both?

Sly
United States of America

Re: Do regular swimmers enjoy speedos like we do?

Post by Sly » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:19 pm

Hopefuly there's a professional swimmer around here that may reply to your post.

swimmerbud
United States of America

Post by swimmerbud » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:21 pm

Not a pro swimmer but I swim a bit and am American so perhaps I can shed some light. I'd say most competitive swimmers (regardless of nationality) prefer speedos to jammers, yet when it comes to competition, there has been a significant lean to jammers. Among masters competitors, those meets are not as competitive (they're not pro) so you'll see more speedos there. Many new masters swimmers still stick to jammers regardless and they tend to be middle-aged/older and new to swimming. For the beach, I'd say it depends. I still prefer speedos at the beach - but - I live in South Florida.

But at the pool, speedos are pretty much the way to go for practice...if that was your question. With some teams, if you wear jammers, you get made fun of. And yes, this is in the US.
Life is short, Speedo on
USA | Mostly Straight

...:::sam:::...
Australia

Post by ...:::sam:::... » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:08 pm

I'm not a pro swimmer, but I swim a lot and compete. I've worn proper speedos ever since I can remember as a kid, thats been speedo, addidas, tyr, aussiebum, budgy smuggler, funky trunks and racing ones. I've only had 1 pair of jammers and 1p of square cuts, finding both uncomfortable so have never got them again.

I think that on here speedos are so often looked at erotically, and they are a "racy" bit of kit, but thats not how most swimmers look at them. To be honest when I'm dong sets I'm not thinking a lot about speedos, I'm more focussed on technique, times, rest intervals and recovery, what others are doing in the lane, whats coming up, if I'm too unfit, why my coach is messing with my head and how to beat him at his games! then only thing Im thinking about with speedos is using them to know whos who when looking under the water by what they've got on. There isn't any taboos here because they're all so common, its just what you wear. But they are still really good to check out at when out of the pool.

You might get a laugh out of this message that came from Budgy Smuggler this morning.
Budgy Smuggler Board Short Buy-Back Scheme - Make Australia Great Again

Dear fellow smugglers,

Today we are launching a nation-wide board short buy-back scheme to free the thighs of our nation. Overseas smugglers / smugglettes may also participate.

We figure that a similar buy-back scheme worked with guns in the 1990's and that this can also help to make Australia a better country. Our goals is to rid our country of the curtains of shame that have been depriving our thighs of their rightful place in the Sun.

We will then donate the shorts to charities in the United States. As far as we're aware it is one of the few places where it remains socially acceptable to wear curtains of shame.

There will be an amnesty on people returning their curtains of shame, we know they've been through a lot.

The board shorts can either be returned in person to our flagship Manly Summer Store or shipped to the Budgy Smuggler Office. The first pair will result in a $10 store credit and any additional pairs receiving a further $5, with a cap of a $20 store credit per person. Both male and female board shorts will be eligible.

To participate in the scheme you can either return your curtains of shame in person the Manly Pop Up Store @ 43 East Esplenade or post them to our office at 7/7A Wenworth St Manly NSW 2095 with your name, email and phone number for us to contact you with your code.

The buy-back scheme will close on January 28th.

That's all for now folks. Release the thighs!

Love, The Budgy Smuggler Team

diveguy
United States of America

Post by diveguy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:34 am

"rid our country of the curtains of shame..."

Ha! Curtains of Shame! I love it!

"We will then donate the shorts to charities in the United States."

Hmmm, definitely don't love that. That's like saying, "let's dump all our trash in the low income neighborhoods, they won't object."

"As far as we're aware it is one of the few places where it remains socially acceptable to wear curtains of shame."

That's bullshit. Swim Pants. as I call them, have taken over the world. It's actually become rare to find a place where speedos are dominant. I don't like it, but it's the truth. The places that are few and far between are the ones where it is socially acceptable to wear speedos. This includes Australia, because I look at countless YouTube videos and live Periscope broadcasts from there and I see way more swim pants than speedos. But I love that Budgie Smuggler is actively campaigning to change that!
Underwater and Speedo loving straight guy

Scottiebum
Great Britain

Post by Scottiebum » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:44 am

In answer to the original question I would guess that most competitive swimmers view the speedo as the sport 'uniform' and nothing more. similar to other sports where some people look on lycra as a fetish or a turn-on the competitors wear cycle skinsuits, running tights or American football leggings without any problem.
Straight
Scottish
Speedo

iAlways
United States of America

Post by iAlways » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:14 am

I agree with Sam.
...:::sam:::... wrote:I'm not a pro swimmer, but I swim a lot and compete. I've worn proper speedos ever since I can remember as a kid, thats been speedo, addidas, tyr, aussiebum, budgy smuggler, funky trunks and racing ones. I've only had 1 pair of jammers and 1p of square cuts, finding both uncomfortable so have never got them again.

I think that on here speedos are so often looked at erotically, and they are a "racy" bit of kit, but thats not how most swimmers look at them. To be honest when I'm dong sets I'm not thinking a lot about speedos, I'm more focussed on technique, times, rest intervals and recovery, what others are doing in the lane, whats coming up, if I'm too unfit, why my coach is messing with my head and how to beat him at his games! then only thing Im thinking about with speedos is using them to know whos who when looking under the water by what they've got on. There isn't any taboos here because they're all so common, its just what you wear. But they are still really good to check out at when out of the pool.

swimcmk
United States of America

Post by swimcmk » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:55 am

I hate to say this but tech suits (Jammers) are the dominant suit here. Tech suits make enough of a difference you have to account for it if you count your strokes during a lap. When I was racing I trained in the cheap tech suits then put the $300 suit on for race day. Speedos were nice due to the feel you got in the water and if you messed up a stroke you could fell it slow you down.

We did laugh at people if they wore board short over race suits. Some people would swim then run out of the pool and put their board shorts on.

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:07 am

...:::sam:::... wrote:I'm not a pro swimmer, but I swim a lot and compete....
Interesting comments Sam. In Australia, people seem to really enjoy the outdoors and participate. We have ocean lifeguards here, but not the lifesaving clubs that you have where they have team colors and a lot of team spirit. Years ago, they sold a calendar here featuring your lifesaving clubs. I wanted to take the next plane to Australia. People down under really swim, and you have a lot of pools where people do serious swimming.
Last edited by Thom on Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long time Speedo® lover

swimmerbud
United States of America

Post by swimmerbud » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:24 am

I follow Budgy and saw that note as well. My first response, was "NOOOOO!!!"

...:::sam:::... wrote:I'm not a pro swimmer, but I swim a lot and compete. I've worn proper speedos ever since I can remember as a kid, thats been speedo, addidas, tyr, aussiebum, budgy smuggler, funky trunks and racing ones. I've only had 1 pair of jammers and 1p of square cuts, finding both uncomfortable so have never got them again.

You might get a laugh out of this message that came from Budgy Smuggler this morning.
Budgy Smuggler Board Short Buy-Back Scheme - Make Australia Great Again

Dear fellow smugglers,

Today we are launching a nation-wide board short buy-back scheme to free the thighs of our nation. Overseas smugglers / smugglettes may also participate.

We figure that a similar buy-back scheme worked with guns in the 1990's and that this can also help to make Australia a better country. Our goals is to rid our country of the curtains of shame that have been depriving our thighs of their rightful place in the Sun.

We will then donate the shorts to charities in the United States. As far as we're aware it is one of the few places where it remains socially acceptable to wear curtains of shame.

There will be an amnesty on people returning their curtains of shame, we know they've been through a lot.

The board shorts can either be returned in person to our flagship Manly Summer Store or shipped to the Budgy Smuggler Office. The first pair will result in a $10 store credit and any additional pairs receiving a further $5, with a cap of a $20 store credit per person. Both male and female board shorts will be eligible.

To participate in the scheme you can either return your curtains of shame in person the Manly Pop Up Store @ 43 East Esplenade or post them to our office at 7/7A Wenworth St Manly NSW 2095 with your name, email and phone number for us to contact you with your code.

The buy-back scheme will close on January 28th.

That's all for now folks. Release the thighs!

Love, The Budgy Smuggler Team
Life is short, Speedo on
USA | Mostly Straight

Aussietriboy78

Post by Aussietriboy78 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:37 am

What's the name of the European swim team that wear tiny speedos, I want to follow them on instagram

swimmy

Post by swimmy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:26 pm

You all know that I swim my laps every evening in my speedo. And that I always have. And that it's never been a problem and I have no idea where anybody is coming from when they think it is.
I had a business trip last week that took me far away but of course wherever I go I find the local lap pool and do my laps. Hotel pools are useless, you know. Nobody anywhere I went sounded any alarms or went into shock at the sight of this stranger in speedos. Not that I expected anyone too.
Again, I say, speedos (brief swimsuits) of the type that swimmers wear (not thongs or posing lingerie) are the proper uniform of the fitness lap swimmer and swim team competitor. Jammers are the option that some guys wear, not sure why, I hate wearing them.

Snowbrief
United States of America

Post by Snowbrief » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:12 pm

Swimmy, you are a model for the speedo wear'er, keep up the good work!
Let's keep it brief.

DadInSpeedos
United States of America

Post by DadInSpeedos » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:32 am

I think that on here speedos are so often looked at erotically, and they are a "racy" bit of kit, but thats not how most swimmers look at them. To be honest when I'm dong sets I'm not thinking a lot about speedos, I'm more focussed on technique, times, rest intervals and recovery, what others are doing in the lane, whats coming up, if I'm too unfit, why my coach is messing with my head and how to beat him at his games! then only thing Im thinking about with speedos is using them to know whos who when looking under the water by what they've got on. There isn't any taboos here because they're all so common, its just what you wear.
Yep, that's my view of Speedos too. They're just that, a piece of swimwear, a uniform for when swimming.
Last edited by DadInSpeedos on Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Australia

Post by ...:::sam:::... » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:52 am

Thom wrote:
...:::sam:::... wrote:I'm not a pro swimmer, but I swim a lot and compete....
Interesting comments Sam. In Australia, people seem to really enjoy the outdoors and participate. We have ocean lifeguards here, but not the lifesaving clubs that you have where they have team colors and a lot of team spirit. Years ago, they sold a calendar here featuring your lifesaving clubs. I wanted to take the next plane to Australia. People down under really swim, and you have a lot of pools where people do serious swimming.
Hey Thom, absolutely. Sport generally is pretty big around here and there is so much for swimmers. There are 4 public pools within 20mins of where I live and they all get packed. There is heaps of open water swimming also. There are swim and other clubs and just at Manly Beach (Sydney) there is a group that swim out every morning for a 1km OWS to the next beach (Shelly Beach) and then return again for 2km and in the process you swim past an ocean pool and along rock shelves where you swim with the fish, sharks and whatever else is in there. Each beach has at least one surf club, and the longer beaches will have a couple, I've never had much to do with them apart from them controlling the beach, but they all train, compete and are super fit apart from beach patrols, its a big family thing from Nippers up.
Attachments
manlypic.jpg
manlypic.jpg (49.51 KiB) Viewed 7901 times

6feet5

Post by 6feet5 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:35 am

They're practical, dry fast, comfortable, great for tanning when you can't go nude... what's the controversary?

I have jammers but don't wear them often and same for my board shorts. I actually think I look better in speedo type swimwear because I'm pretty slim. I really like them and how they feel BUT at the end of the day, it's just a swimsuit... so wear it and be happy.

MRspeedoman
United States of America

Post by MRspeedoman » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:56 am

As I consider myself a swimmer enthusiast, any sort of brief style swimwear isn’t racy; in fact, I view them no different when a female wearing an athletic bikini/one piece.

I prefer wearing Speedos since they allow more movement than swim trunks. Even at the beach or lake, I love how comfortable Speedos feel as much as how it helps me overcome my self-conscience moments. It not like I decided to wear my Joe Snyder bikinis in public up here, except in South Beach/Miami. ;)
A straight male who believes that real men wear Speedos! :)

Australia

Post by ...:::sam:::... » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:14 am

Mitch wrote:All of you guys would look so hot in skimpy suits. Or better yet no suit
haha I dont know!
Attachments
P1050183cropresize.jpg
P1050183cropresize.jpg (240.44 KiB) Viewed 7803 times

shadowsplash

Post by shadowsplash » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:31 pm

Where I go, swimmers of all ages seem to wear different brands but most are the brief types, some jammers
However what I did pick up on is when they do a towel change a few of them wear boxer briefs which I found odd as one would have thought they would wear the square cut swimwear.....was noted in passing and not perving as its not quite my thing

I'd say by now I dont 2nd guess wearing swim briefs at the pool and that would highly likely be the same for pro swimmers and trainers but no doubt swimmers who don't go as regular as they would like to seem to be modest judging by the swimwear they have on, many wearing curtains of shame and out right crazy too as quite a few of them have really good builds that they should be proud of, sad and not sure why as many can swim pro...weird

Without a doubt if you are not comfortable by yourself stripping down to a swim brief/square cut etc then if you know somebody who does then go with them, you'll soon realise that's it a no issue and its the norm.

My swim coach got me from squares to briefs and they are better, specially package wise for support and possibly appearance
but insisted jammers were the way to go for competitions due to the blood returning faster from the legs, kinda makes sense
I'll wear briefs till the day I die...well that depends