G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Swimming Lessons for Adults?

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

losingandbuilding
United States of America

Swimming Lessons for Adults?

Post by losingandbuilding » Wed May 17, 2017 11:45 am

This might be slightly off topic, so I apologize in advance, but I figure a forum full of swimwear-loving guys might know the answer. Are swimming lessons for adults a thing? I like being in the water, but I'm not a very good swimmer, so I'd love to find something that would help refresh my memory and improve my skills, but tailored for adults. If it is a thing, is it literally called "swimming lessons for adults," or is there another title I should be searching for?
Just a straight guy who likes speedos...

electric2010
United States of America

Re: Swimming Lessons for Adults?

Post by electric2010 » Wed May 17, 2017 11:57 am

I do believe that I have seen that my Y does have adult swimming lessons, and I think they are called "swimming lessons for adults". I have met a few guys that have said that they don't know how to swim, at all.

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Wed May 17, 2017 1:25 pm

Swimming lessons for Adults aren't just about learning to swim, they are about getting confidence in the water, learning a swim stroke, perfecting you stroke and learning new swim techniques. My breathing is crap, my technique is good but I just don't breathe. I had had a couple of lessons to put this right and the theory is now in my head just got to put it into practice. I was told that you body just needs to get used to doing the breathing side of the front crawl. If you want to learn to swim or get the kinks out of your swimming stroke and become a better swimmer then book a couple of lessons. Search for adult swimming lesson or adult swim instruction.

Losingandbuilding found these links for you.

http://www.upenn.edu/recreation/aquatic ... g-lessons/

http://www.ymcaharrisburg.org/westshore ... m-lessons/

I hope these help.
Love speedos, running shorts, rugby shorts, Aussie rules footy shorts.

BJE
United States of America

Post by BJE » Wed May 17, 2017 1:40 pm

I took an adult swim conditioning class recently at my fitnesss center. It was fun but most of the people there were triathletes getting in shape for the triathlon season. I felt out of place in that I was much older than most and I couldn't keep up with them.

I think a good alternative to adult swim lessons is going to a pool where you can hire an instructor that give you private lessons. In that environment perhaps only one or two lessons would suffice. I'd like to hire someone to teach me how to do flip turns. I'm lousy at them.

BJE
United States of America

Post by BJE » Wed May 17, 2017 1:43 pm

Two more things. When swimming be sure to wear goggles. It's hard to swim well without them. When wearing a speedo lap swimming wear one with a drawstring waist so that it doesn't peel off when you push off the end of the pool.

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Wed May 17, 2017 1:44 pm

Me too BJE, I can flip well water somersault. Lol. Don't turn, end up swimming into the pool wall. The pool at the gym I go to offer Adult lessons and there are a mixture of abilities in the lesson. So not to bad. I have thought about buying a centre snorkel if I can't get my breathing right.

BJE
United States of America

Post by BJE » Wed May 17, 2017 1:53 pm

Speedoaddict wrote:Me too BJE, I can flip well water somersault. Lol. Don't turn, end up swimming into the pool wall. The pool at the gym I go to offer Adult lessons and there are a mixture of abilities in the lesson. So not to bad. I have thought about buying a centre snorkel if I can't get my breathing right.
I get lost in my flip and can't tell up from down.

swimdude
United States of America

Post by swimdude » Wed May 17, 2017 2:28 pm

Not trying to nitpick speedoaddict but the proper term is flip turn just trying to help a follow swimmer out.
Also a tip BJE when going for the flip at the wall count your strokes from the flags to the wall so when you take want to flip take a breath at the flags. It is usually 2 or 3 strokes then you go for the flip turn near the wall.

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Wed May 17, 2017 3:24 pm

Just saying I can't do a flip turn I just somersault in the water. Lol. I knew it is a flip turn but unfortunately it doesn't apply to me. Lol.

losingandbuilding
United States of America

Post by losingandbuilding » Wed May 17, 2017 6:55 pm

Guys, thanks so much for all of the info and advice so far - I really appreciate it! Keep it coming if you think of anything else related to this, or even lap-swimming in general. Feel free to post here or send me a message - this is all pretty new to me, so the more info, the better!

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Wed May 17, 2017 7:13 pm

losingandbuilding wrote:This might be slightly off topic, so I apologize in advance, but I figure a forum full of swimwear-loving guys might know the answer. Are swimming lessons for adults a thing? I like being in the water, but I'm not a very good swimmer, so I'd love to find something that would help refresh my memory and improve my skills, but tailored for adults. If it is a thing, is it literally called "swimming lessons for adults," or is there another title I should be searching for?
Try this web site.

http://www.totalimmersion.net/

They have video instruction you can download and coaches/instructors who use the method around the country who offer lessons. I bought their videos twenty years ago, and they helped me a lot.
Long time Speedo® lover

paspeedo
United States of America

Post by paspeedo » Wed May 17, 2017 7:27 pm

I signed up for adult lessons at my local Y a few years back. It was OK, because everyone the instructor was a high school kid, that really couldn't explain the techniques well. I want to sign up again and give it another shot.

losingandbuilding
United States of America

Post by losingandbuilding » Wed May 17, 2017 7:32 pm

Thom wrote:
losingandbuilding wrote:This might be slightly off topic, so I apologize in advance, but I figure a forum full of swimwear-loving guys might know the answer. Are swimming lessons for adults a thing? I like being in the water, but I'm not a very good swimmer, so I'd love to find something that would help refresh my memory and improve my skills, but tailored for adults. If it is a thing, is it literally called "swimming lessons for adults," or is there another title I should be searching for?
Try this web site.

http://www.totalimmersion.net/

They have video instruction you can download and coaches/instructors who use the method around the country who offer lessons. I bought their videos twenty years ago, and they helped me a lot.

Awesome - I'll definitely check this out. Thanks so much!

losingandbuilding
United States of America

Post by losingandbuilding » Wed May 17, 2017 7:33 pm

paspeedo wrote:I signed up for adult lessons at my local Y a few years back. It was OK, because everyone the instructor was a high school kid, that really couldn't explain the techniques well. I want to sign up again and give it another shot.
Thanks man. Sounds like people have really gotten mixed results with this type of thing.

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Wed May 17, 2017 11:22 pm

You could also search YouTube, Arena and Speedo both have channels on there plus there are youtubers giving tips and instruction.

losingandbuilding
United States of America

Post by losingandbuilding » Thu May 18, 2017 6:17 pm

Speedoaddict wrote:You could also search YouTube, Arena and Speedo both have channels on there plus there are youtubers giving tips and instruction.
Cool - I'll have to do that. Thanks!

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Thu May 18, 2017 6:45 pm

losingandbuilding wrote: Awesome - I'll definitely check this out. Thanks so much!
You're welcome! It's sort of the Zen of swimming. You learn concepts of balance and streamlining. Initially you learn to become one with the water and swim efficiently. Speed and open water swimming, if you want it, can come later. Because of a heavy work load, I haven't done much swimming this past winter. Hope to change that soon.

Tom
Long time Speedo® lover

Swimbrieffetish

Post by Swimbrieffetish » Fri May 19, 2017 2:34 pm

I think I may have to seek lessons on making me a better swimmer as well as turning in the pool.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

BJE
United States of America

Post by BJE » Fri May 19, 2017 2:45 pm

I practiced flip turns this morning. It didn't go well. How I usually turn is to kind of bring my knees up to my chest as I approach the end then just sort of turn around sideways then push off. If that makes any sense.

electric2010
United States of America

Post by electric2010 » Fri May 19, 2017 4:48 pm

Don't know that I've seen it done that way. I do "heels over head". Every now & then I don't quite get close enough, and can barely push off. I'm sure a swim team swimmer would think that I look pretty silly.