G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Chubbies Shorts for Independence day (4th of July)

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

rmf

Chubbies Shorts for Independence day (4th of July)

Post by rmf » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:55 am

Over the past several weeks, a few of my buddies have been sending me links to Chubbies breakaway shorts that are red, white and blue saying that I should wear them for the 4th of July. If you recall, these are the same shorts that Zac Efron wore during the Superbowl commercial. Chubbies went on a marketing blitz after the TV commercial and really pushed the set (Red, white and blue shorts that rip away and have a matching Red, white and blue speedos underneath) on a lot of social media advertising. Well, I didn't think much of it because I just thought it was more of a gimmick or joke item.

Fast forward and yesterday I took my kids to the water park to enjoy the holiday and I was amazed how many people really do wear red, white and blue themed swimwear. I mean literally, there were dozens and dozens of people wearing 4th of July themed swim suits. So it got me thinking again about those Chubbies short / briefs and if anyone really would buy them. So I get on my phone and look at their website and sure enough, they are sold out of a lot of sizes which leads me to believe that there are a ton of guys out there that now own red, white an blue speedos. For how many they sold, I knew there had to be some photos posted so I did a quick search on Instagram for tags and yep, there I found a lot of regular guys sporting posting photos of them tearing off their shorts. It sort of reminded me of Budgy Smugglers feed. While the instagram feed is still fresh from yesterday, you can take a look here:

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/chubbies/

So it makes me wonder with all the guys who now own these shorts/ speedos sets- will they figure out how great briefs really are and will they continue to wear them more than just once a year? Will they make the jump and buy a few more suits and give up board shorts at least some of the time? Either way, gimmick or not I think the break away shorts are a good thing at the end of the day because there are now that many more guys who are willing to wear briefs... even if it's only one day out of the year.
straight, married w/ kids.

speedobillyuk
Great Britain

Re: Chubbies Shorts for Independence day (4th of July)

Post by speedobillyuk » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:20 am

Plenty of shorts, but not many ripping them off to reveal any speedos. Stars and Stripes pattern speedos aren't uncommon - you can see them on Tumblr regularly.
Speedos - the only way to swim...

rmf

Post by rmf » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:40 am

speedobillyuk wrote:Plenty of shorts, but not many ripping them off to reveal any speedos. Stars and Stripes pattern speedos aren't uncommon - you can see them on Tumblr regularly.
I guess maybe my point may have been missed......

This is the first year a conservative brand which normally produces conservative and expensive board shorts released this type of suit. It was also promoted in a Superbowl ad. It gave a lot of exposure to a brand & suit concept to guys who normally would not wear this type of suit. The website is sold out of them along with a bunch of other similar ones too. For every suit sold, a small fraction of owners posted pictures of themselves (which might be bold to even people on this site) to their social media page like instagram and tagged back to the company (similar to what budgy smuggler & sluggers brands encourages). For every person who tagged themselves, there are hundreds who didn't. The point I was trying to make is that a mainstream conservative brand is promoting and exposing guys to wearing speedos who normally wouldn't. It would lead the notion of them (the guys who purchased) may now be less judgmental (having experienced the suit) at others and maybe, just maybe there are a few converts out of it all who will take it a step further and buy a few more suits and wear them more often....

I know... a lot of dots to connect...
straight, married w/ kids.

rozelle
Indonesia

Post by rozelle » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:48 pm

just checked out their website they have some nice designs! but ugh the pricetag is stupid. and yes when I open the instagram link there are mostly boardshorts :/

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:16 pm

I do like the look of Chubbies Shorts, but the cost of shipping to the UK is rediculous.
Love speedos, running shorts, rugby shorts, Aussie rules footy shorts.