G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Downsizing

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

52dno98
United States of America

Downsizing

Post by 52dno98 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:53 am

Anyone ever purposely downsize their suits? This is common with swimmers for a race.

I'm sort of between two waist sizes, so I just bought a suit that I already have in my "regular" waist size (the larger). It's a Tyr 2" suit [As an aside I don't think they're going to make them any more, which SUCKS- they're by far my favorite suit] and the smaller suit is SO small. I swam laps in it yesterday and it was such a rush. I saw myself in a mirror and it looked like it was painted on. Now it's making me wonder if I should always buy suits in the smaller size...

1tanlinedude
United States of America

Re: Downsizing

Post by 1tanlinedude » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:11 am

I always down size :)

Because I'm a swimmer and that just what we do to try to go faster. The tighter the better! Plus, after a while the suit will stretch or give with some use. The smaller the suit, the smaller the cut (i.e. Compare a 32" suit to a 30" suit cut...same brand/same suit just different size......It's a Skimper cut :)) I have several of the TYR 2" - love them and great for the tan-lines! Hope they don't stop selling them but 2" TYR are always selling out on swim outlet . com so hope not! :)

Scottiebum
Great Britain

Post by Scottiebum » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:21 am

Yes, I do. I prefer a tighter fit and the 'correct' size is always too big for my liking. Also not having much of a backside means normal size is loose on me.
Straight
Scottish
Speedo

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:51 pm

I'm a 31 in jeans. I always downsize to a small in speedos. They stretch a bit and work in. I have a smallish butt: I hate it when a suit is too big in the butt and catches water and balloons out. I was trying on a Japan Arena today. it's like a double downsize, but it looks and fits great. The suit is well designed so it doesn't bind. It moves with me.
Long time Speedo® lover

52dno98
United States of America

Post by 52dno98 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:06 am

I just got a second suit in the smaller waist size and I'm never buying the larger size again. I actually prefer the tighter feel (keeps everything in place while swimming) and it's a briefer cut, which looks better.

Mazda3mps
Australia

Post by Mazda3mps » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:52 am

not a swimmer here but i too go down a size always.

generally take a small and im a size 32 in jeans.
unless the brief sits super low, then i take a medium

im not the fittest so i cant go too tight either hahaha. first world problems right?

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:49 pm

52dno98 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:06 am
I just got a second suit in the smaller waist size and I'm never buying the larger size again. I actually prefer the tighter feel (keeps everything in place while swimming) and it's a briefer cut, which looks better.
That's been my experience. Judging from your picture, we have a somewhat similar build.

T
Long time Speedo® lover

JustaSpeedoguy
New Zealand

Post by JustaSpeedoguy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:05 pm

My first speedo was the same size as I normally have for pants and shorts and it felt like there was too much fabric. After that I downsized to x-small/small and its way better. They're meant to fit to your body and now the back fabric doesn't sag when wet.

beachg0y
United States of America

Post by beachg0y » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:55 pm

The only downsizing I've done has been in terms of coverage. I "downsized" to various brands like Tropis, Muscleskins Poser trunks, which I like a lot.
Last edited by beachg0y on Sat May 05, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:13 pm

I always go a size smaller in Speedo trunks.
Adidas I always buy the correct size, I find they always tend to run a bit on the small size.
Turbo trunks you have to buy a size larger than Speedo sizing.
Funky Trunks I buy the correct size.
Love speedos, running shorts, rugby shorts, Aussie rules footy shorts.

...:::sam:::...
Australia

Post by ...:::sam:::... » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:34 am

I don't downsize, but I do fit between sizes and wear both the size up and the size down. The size up is just more comfortable to wear and has a bit more room for le junk. For my training speedos I don't normally do the drawstring up so I can just pull them on or off but when I come off the walls in the pool I do get a gap open out between my speedos and my stomach especially if I've got my core sucked in.