G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Speedos back in college swimming

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

SpeedoUSA

Speedos back in college swimming

Post by SpeedoUSA » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:22 am

Saw this on a friends post their sons college swim team. Briefs are back in swimming. Surprised to see no jammers in the whole competition!ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Str8 Speedo fan

rozelle
Indonesia

Re: Speedos back in college swimming

Post by rozelle » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:05 am

what a lovely news!

rmf

Post by rmf » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:30 am

Yep - it's college. I don't think it ever was gone to be honest. Looking at their swim caps, this looks like a practice session and not a meet so no one is wearing their technical jammers that they would normally wear during a competition.

I think it's in some highschools and below where folks are more hypersensitive and you might see the requirement relaxed. I am in the upper mid west and I happen to be in a area where swimming is a really big deal. We have a rather large number of private swim clubs in the area and what I've notice here is that older kids do practice in briefs but race in technical jammers. These are kids who by the teens are still swimming at clubs team and in highschool, trying to get onto Div 1 swim teams. They know that swimming only on a highschool team isn't going to cut it. I don't know if my point makes sense but I think by that point, they are no longer worried about what they look like in a swimsuit and are just focused on swimming. They practice in briefs and race in technical jammers. This holds true for the diving teams at the swim clubs too - they only dive in briefs.
straight, married w/ kids.

SpeedoSimone
Germany

Post by SpeedoSimone » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:28 pm

That's great news! In my swim class, speedos are about 30%, square cuts 40% and the rest are jammers

simplyspeedo1
Great Britain

Post by simplyspeedo1 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:13 am

love to be in the changing rooms and showers there!!

clem
United States of America

Post by clem » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:17 am

For official meets, I don't think any team would skip the incremental hydrodynamic benefits of the tech jammers (blechh). But YES, high school, college, olympic practice & training, briefs are not uncommon at all lately. Positive trends.

SpeedoJT
United States of America

Post by SpeedoJT » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:56 pm

I like where this is going!

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:59 pm

Are the tech jammers really faster than speedos, or is it all psychological?
Long time Speedo® lover

clem
United States of America

Post by clem » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:28 pm

Yes, if you ever watch a swimmer moving through the water in slo-mo, when you see skin rippling, that's drag. New rules limit the size of the suits. (Remember Ian Thorpe's full body suit?) Now suits can't go below the knees, and above the waist for men and past shoulders for women.

Bostonswimmer
United States of America

Post by Bostonswimmer » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:54 am

I swim at MIT in Cambridge mass. And most guys are in speedos. More than not. Love it.

rmf

Post by rmf » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:45 am

Thom wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:59 pm
Absolutely! They are much faster than speedos in the world of competitive swimming. If you ever have a chance to stop by a local swim shop, take a look at the technical jammers. The prices will be in the $300 range. MSRP for the Speedo LZR Racer X Jammer is $349. It's not your normal nylon/lycra suit. Some brands are thin and onion like. The water resistance is less than skin and by covering more of your body, you have less water resistance and therefore swim faster. We saw this with the full body suits several years ago when MP was breaking a lot of records. FINA ended up banning the full body suits for men and now limit it to - at most, jammers coverage. This is why you will see competitive swimmers at the Olympics all racing in jammers. However, they still train in briefs for the most part. The technical suits are only worn during races because they can be difficult to put on due to the compression fit and for the non-sponsored swimmers (a person who has to buy their own suit), expensive "accident" can occur when you snag it on the pool deck. Divers are different story because they need full leg motion so it's briefs only.

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:49 pm

They should ban Jammers. Swimming is about the athlete in the water.
Take it back to grass roots.
Love speedos, running shorts, rugby shorts, Aussie rules footy shorts.

rmf

Post by rmf » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:06 pm

Speedoaddict wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:49 pm
I doubt FINA will ever go further - and it's not about roots... That's like saying steel only road bikes allowed in the Tour de France. lol...

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:09 pm

rmf wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:06 pm
Speedoaddict wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:49 pm
I doubt FINA will ever go further - and it's not about roots... That's like saying steel only road bikes allowed in the Tour de France. lol...
I don't think FINA will ever revert back to the Speedo either. I see what you are saying about the bikes. FINA have also put in place rules about the type of material the swimwear companies can use to try and make it an even playing field. They can only swim in FINA approved suits. If the suit is not on the list they can't swim in it.
I like your analogy tho. Lol.
Love speedos, running shorts, rugby shorts, Aussie rules footy shorts.

clem
United States of America

Post by clem » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:55 pm

For a while the tech suit makers were weaving neoprene fabric into the suits. Neoprene floats! So that was banned. But...a neoprene speedo. Hmmmm....

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:16 pm

rmf wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:45 am
Thom wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:59 pm
Absolutely! They are much faster than speedos in the world of competitive swimming. If you ever have a chance to stop by a local swim shop, take a look at the technical jammers....
Wow. Interesting. Thanks!
Long time Speedo® lover

SpeedoSimone
Germany

Post by SpeedoSimone » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:13 pm

Yesterday I went to swim training and there was 6 speedos and 2 jammers. Progress!

Red^^Speedo
United States of America

Post by Red^^Speedo » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:54 am

clem wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:28 pm
Yes, if you ever watch a swimmer moving through the water in slo-mo, when you see skin rippling, that's drag. N
We older guys are really as fast as you tadpoles, its just the drag lets you get to the line first.. LOL :mrgreen:

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:50 am

jace wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:15 pm
Have worn neoprene in a speedo brief and paper suits too.
Had one paper suit that someone gave me that he had worn competitively. We had the same waist size. It had no give at all. I could barely get into it.
Long time Speedo® lover

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:09 am

jace wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:51 am
Paper suits are very,very small and mine was form fitting and Hard ons very apparent.
Do you still have yours? I'm trying to find mine, but I think it's gone. Mine lost its shape. The internet hadn't really got going when they were used, so there's not much on the web about them.
Long time Speedo® lover