G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Does environment influence suit choice?

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

MeSooQuiet
United States of America

Does environment influence suit choice?

Post by MeSooQuiet » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:23 am

Does the environment you are going to be in influence the cut or style of suit you wear? As long as everything is covered do you just wear the type of suit you want?

Just curious as I have been lap swimming in a Atlantic blue speedo solar. I like the way the high leg cut allows maximum leg movement and the front seam doesn’t smash my package uncomfortably. The few guys I have seen in a speedo wear the typical black or navy 3 inch speedo brief that tends to be sold at all sporting goods stores.

clem
United States of America

Re: Does environment influence suit choice?

Post by clem » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:33 am

Yeah, I must admit. At certain pools, where a lot of kids/families are around, I wear my "conservative" speedo, a run-of-the-mill tyr brief. In more adult environments, morning lap swim, I break out an Asian cut suit as much as I can.

rmf

Post by rmf » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:57 am

Sort of but I factor different things like, what is the chlorine content of the pool or if I am vacation and swimming in the ocean. I pretty much wear a Turbo water polo suit to workout in because they hold up to the chemicals and I save my other suits like Mr. Turk and Parke & Ronen suits for vacation where pools are not as bad or I will not be in the water as much. While I won't buy a suit that is greater than 2" side, I also will not buy a suit that is transparent, show VPL or look like there is a potato sack hanging in the front. It's just not my style and the last thing I want to do really is draw any more attention to me then there needs to be...
straight, married w/ kids.

52dno98
United States of America

Post by 52dno98 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:51 am

When I (finally) decided to openly swim laps in a speedo about 18 months ago, I started with a 3” solid black suit. Since then I’ve developed a little more confidence and wear a patterned 2.5” Arena suit for most swims. Even though I’m usually the only guy in a speedo, and certainly the only guy wearing a patterned speedo, I tend to think of this suit as a little more conservative.

I’ve gotten to know a number of the regular Masters swimmers at my gym, so I wear my skimpier, louder-patterned 2” Tyr suits (definitely not conservative) on mornings when the Masters group isn’t there.

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:21 pm

I don't own any risqué speedos so it doesn't really matter to me. Plus I wear all my speedos under a pair of shorts or swim shorts.
Not brave enough to go speedo only.
Love speedos, running shorts, rugby shorts, Aussie rules footy shorts.

Latestarter
Great Britain

Post by Latestarter » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:23 pm

Last edited by Latestarter on Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

52dno98
United States of America

Post by 52dno98 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:14 pm

Speedoaddict wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:21 pm
I don't own any risqué speedos so it doesn't really matter to me. Plus I wear all my speedos under a pair of shorts or swim shorts.
Almost everyone is this board is going to tell you that you should just go on and lose the shorts and go speedo only. That’s a personal decision, of course, and you should only do it when you’re ready.

But let me tell you from personal experience that once you do, it’s SUCH a great feeling, and I can’t encourage you enough to complete that journey as quickly as possible.

You’ve only got one life- live it!!!

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:22 pm

52dno98 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:14 pm
Speedoaddict wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:21 pm
Almost everyone is this board is going to tell you that you should just go on and lose the shorts and go speedo only. That’s a personal decision, of course, and you should only do it when you’re ready.

But let me tell you from personal experience that once you do, it’s SUCH a great feeling, and I can’t encourage you enough to complete that journey as quickly as possible.

You’ve only got one life- live it!!!
Thanks for the advice. I am slowly building up to it.

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:28 am

TBH Jace, I like the red suit you are wearing in your avatar.

speedobillyuk
Great Britain

Post by speedobillyuk » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:10 pm

Not as far as I'm concerned. What's the point of liking / having speedos if you're not going to wear them for what ther're intended. I'm not exactly young, and I wouldn't say that the years have been particularly kind to me, but I always wear speedos at the pool, regardless. I have so many that I almost seem to be wearing a different pair each time I swim, and people notice and I get the occasional (friendly) comment. Usually wear 2in sides, but have worn 1in sides for laps/lanes, and even my Aussiebums - nobody is bothered (least of all me). Wear the same speedos at more family orientated pools - no problems or odd looks. Maybe being a fairly good swimmer helps - I've seen groups of young guys in baggy shorts look at me on poolside, but once they see you do a decent dive, and swim off at speed they give you some respect.
Speedos - the only way to swim...

Scottiebum
Great Britain

Post by Scottiebum » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:04 am

Generally I would say I have worn most of my speedos anywhere. That includes nylon WJ and some Andrew Christian with a pronounced pouch. However all have been proper size (no bits escaping!) and with the liner intact. I would not wear an unlined suit with clear VPL in public or one that was too small to cover everything. I do not think a decent bulge is a problem as long as you cannot see detail of what is underneath.
PS - I did not wear the NS in my avatar at the local pool!!
Straight
Scottish
Speedo

Red^^Speedo
United States of America

Post by Red^^Speedo » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:38 am

Yes.

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:20 am

jace wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:18 pm
Commando every time you wear a kilt?Ever had to deal with Hardons in kilt.
If you get a gust of wind up your kilt son we will have to start calling you Marilyn Monroe. Lol.

Latestarter
Great Britain

Post by Latestarter » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:11 am

Last edited by Latestarter on Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Latestarter
Great Britain

Post by Latestarter » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:15 am

Last edited by Latestarter on Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

scott1636
United States of America

Post by scott1636 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:30 pm

Speedoaddict wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:28 am
TBH Jace, I like the red suit you are wearing in your avatar.
He does wear it well, doesn't he? That VPL helps. The only thing better is when he takes it off.

BJE
United States of America

Post by BJE » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:59 pm

The only place I haven’t worn a speedo is at a crowded water park with slides and such. I should just go ahead and wear a speedo but I would be the only man wearing one and I know I’d get a lot looks and probably laughs.

I haven’t generally worn speedos around friends but enough of them have seen me in a speedo that I wouldnt hesitate to wear one now. I would not be embarrassed at all.

shadowmn
United States of America

Post by shadowmn » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:14 pm

Yes definitely. If I am in close proximity to families, I try to stick with suits that are more recreational brands such as Tyr or Speedo. I usually don’t wear anything too crazy anyways, but during my trip to Aruba, I did wear my Sporti Euro and Aussiebum Azure 1.5 with the AB logo on the butt. My next trip to Aruba will be no different. I felt like I could have worn anything there without feeling self conscious.
Just a straight guy that enjoys wearing speedos. Life is too short, enjoy wearing what you want.

PNWGuy

Post by PNWGuy » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:41 pm

BJE wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:59 pm
The only place I haven’t worn a speedo is at a crowded water park with slides and such. I should just go ahead and wear a speedo but I would be the only man wearing one and I know I’d get a lot looks and probably laughs.
Some years ago I wore my speedo at our local water park while chaperoning a group of 4th & 5th grade Cub Scouts. I don't own any other swimsuits so I just wore what I had. None of the boys in our pack commented, but I did get asked by someone else why I was wearing my underwear. I explained that it was a swimsuit and that ended the conversation. No problem. I wore my speedo at another waterslide with my boys and a nephew, again about 20 years ago.

When my in-laws had a backyard pool I always wore my speedo (unless my wife-to-be and I were skinny dipping after dark).

Remember, it's just a swimsuit. Totally appropriate to wear while swimming. Questionable for mowing the lawn.

ChicagoDan

Post by ChicagoDan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:39 pm

I have worn square cuts to water parks a couple of times, but to a beach or pool, I usually stick to a Speedo solar.