G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Aussiebum sizing disappointment

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

Scottiebum
Great Britain

Aussiebum sizing disappointment

Post by Scottiebum » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:10 am

I know it has been mentioned that aB sizes vary between different styles, but it seems to vary within styles too. I bought a 1.5 and 2.5 Sleet in Classic in the sale. When I tried them on they were clearly bigger than the old navy ones I already own. See pics below.
Attachments
SAM_7241.png
SAM_7241.png (414.44 KiB) Viewed 7629 times
SAM_7243.png
SAM_7243.png (346.57 KiB) Viewed 7629 times
SAM_7247.png
SAM_7247.png (427.31 KiB) Viewed 7629 times
SAM_7248.png
SAM_7248.png (464.83 KiB) Viewed 7629 times
SAM_7251.png
SAM_7251.png (450.58 KiB) Viewed 7629 times
Straight
Scottish
Speedo

losingandbuilding
United States of America

Re: Aussiebum sizing disappointment

Post by losingandbuilding » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:27 am

Wow, that is quite a difference. They almost look like two different sizes.
Just a straight guy who likes speedos...

Scottiebum
Great Britain

Post by Scottiebum » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:35 am

All M, unless the wrong label has been attached!
Straight
Scottish
Speedo

losingandbuilding
United States of America

Post by losingandbuilding » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:09 am

That's crazy how they are so inconsistent. I've had issues with that in different styles, but i guess I've never bought two of the same style from them before.
Just a straight guy who likes speedos...

rockman748

Post by rockman748 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:43 am

How old were the navy ones because they did slightly modify the sizing a while ago. The way to tell the difference is if it has the old clear tag then it’s the smaller sizing. If it has a green or black tag on it then it’s the newer, slightly larger size. The difference was nice for me as I needed that little bit extra.
Just a straight guy who likes speedos and aussiebums

swimmy

Post by swimmy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:55 pm

A nice thing about shopping at swimoutlet.com is that each product has a buyer's testimonial section in which people share their own experiences about the product, especially swimsuit sizing. They will let you know that, for example, a certain style of suit that claims to be a 32 is too small for someone who wears a size 32 in everything else. Believe them when they say to order a size larger or smaller than usual.

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:12 pm

I had the same problem with the seamless briefs.
Love speedos, running shorts, rugby shorts, Aussie rules footy shorts.

Scottiebum
Great Britain

Post by Scottiebum » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:25 pm

rockman748 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:43 am
How old were the navy ones because they did slightly modify the sizing a while ago. The way to tell the difference is if it has the old clear tag then it’s the smaller sizing. If it has a green or black tag on it then it’s the newer, slightly larger size. The difference was nice for me as I needed that little bit extra.
I see, the navy are older with a clear tag, the new ones have a white label with black printing.
They are not too bad around the body, they are just too high and if worn low there are folds of material. Sale is now over, these were half price.
Straight
Scottish
Speedo

rockman748

Post by rockman748 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:16 pm

Yes, the difference was small but it helped me because the smalls were a little tight, but the mediums were a little large. Once they adjusted sizing it made it so the medium fits me perfect. I will say though that they did used to have some sizing inconsistency's, but I feel as though they have become better. It is possible that one might have just been a "large" of whatever size. Maybe just try a couple more. Their polyester suits tend to be tighter in my opinion if that helps at all.

Scottiebum
Great Britain

Post by Scottiebum » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:41 am

Cheers Rockman, might wait for next sale. Full price is too much if I am not sure they fit. Too expensive to return to Aus, hello ebay!
Straight
Scottish
Speedo

villageguy
United States of America

Post by villageguy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:39 am

Have to agree with rockman, I like the change.
More room and they fit me better than the older ones.

Scottiebum
Great Britain

Post by Scottiebum » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:16 am

villageguy wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:39 am
Have to agree with rockman, I like the change.
More room and they fit me better than the older ones.
We are all built differently, I don't have much butt so maybe a bit more material for the room in front? I love my navy ones but they are starting to show their age. Might need to try a small.
Straight
Scottish
Speedo

shadowmn
United States of America

Post by shadowmn » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:21 pm

I've had quite a few inconsistencies with Aussiebum. I've pretty much stopped buying any more suits from AB as I've been disappointed with many of their suits. It's unfortunately because I do like their styles. Oh well...all the more reason to try new brands. :)
Just a straight guy that enjoys wearing speedos. Life is too short, enjoy wearing what you want.

Aircat
Australia

Post by Aircat » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:44 am

They are doing some weird stuff with their cuts, not Australian style at all. Too high, European? Look like Borat village would wear when he isn't wearing mankini. The model shots are deliberatly crunching the sides down in a lot of cases (which doesn't work in real life because the crotch will sag).

I guess trying to work in other world markets where actual speedo and lower style is too much to tolerate?

Stitching is really messy and wouldnt get anything where the stitching isn't an identical colour to the fabric now since it looks really cheap when the contrast (eg dark blue thread on orange) shows how uneven it is.

speedobillyuk
Great Britain

Post by speedobillyuk » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:54 am

Had problems with sizing too. Usually they fit great, but sometimes way too tight, or ridiculously "loose". When you get it right they look brilliant. Just keep trying - and if you only buy when they're on sale (often enough)... They do offer "free returns", or try selling unwanted ones on ebay.
Speedos - the only way to swim...

Scottiebum
Great Britain

Post by Scottiebum » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:12 am

speedobillyuk wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:54 am
Had problems with sizing too. Usually they fit great, but sometimes way too tight, or ridiculously "loose". When you get it right they look brilliant. Just keep trying - and if you only buy when they're on sale (often enough)... They do offer "free returns", or try selling unwanted ones on ebay.
Appearing on an auction site near you soon!
Straight
Scottish
Speedo

Scottiebum
Great Britain

Post by Scottiebum » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:32 am

Aircat wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:44 am
They are doing some weird stuff with their cuts, not Australian style at all. Too high, European? Look like Borat village would wear when he isn't wearing mankini. The model shots are deliberatly crunching the sides down in a lot of cases (which doesn't work in real life because the crotch will sag).

Exactly!
I thought the 1.5 would be great, but the legs were cut too high and the waist too high unless, as you say, you push it down and then it is saggy!
Straight
Scottish
Speedo

villageguy
United States of America

Post by villageguy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:47 am

Went back and checked the two swimsuits I just got on sale and noticed there was some stretch to the material.
Older swimsuits didn't have any stretch.
Looks like they changed the nylon material but they still state 100% nylon.

rockman748

Post by rockman748 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:52 pm

villageguy wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:47 am
Went back and checked the two swimsuits I just got on sale and noticed there was some stretch to the material.
Older swimsuits didn't have any stretch.
Looks like they changed the nylon material but they still state 100% nylon.
I will agree that some of the nylon does stretch more than other. They can still say it is most likely 100% nylon as it still most likely is. Think about how some 100% cotton t-shirts feel much softer and stretchier than other 100% cotton t-shirts. They are all still cotton, but they are milled differently. They most likely just changed suppliers of nylon.

ExBex
United States of America

Post by ExBex » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:20 am

I have one AB nylon suit, and I was disappointed in the cut, too. It's a "clear tag" version. Fits ok in the waist and the sides are nice and narrow. But, it's way too tall or high cut. It's like 2" too tall from waistband to crotch.

It's too bad. I like the material and the colors/patterns they offer. But I won't buy another one.

It's weird because the lycra AB suits I've tried aren't like that.
On a lifelong quest for the perfect fitting swim suit