G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

When did speedos come on your radar

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

frankjath

When did speedos come on your radar

Post by frankjath » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:51 am

Growing up boardshorts were the most popular form of swimming attire for men. So I didn’t even know speedos existed for men for a long while. Then when I was 13 I was shopping with my dad and we were in the swimwear section at a sporting goods store and there was one on a hanger. I remember him asking if I’d like to buy one to wear to the beach. Being a young teenager I laughed it off thinking he was joking.

So at what age did you realize speedos were a thing guys could wear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by frankjath on Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

...:::sam:::...
Australia

Re: When did speedos come on your radar

Post by ...:::sam:::... » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:20 am

I don't remember not having speedos. I grew up in them, but they're pretty normal here. My realisation went the other way when my bro decided that speedos were for the pool and board shorts for the beach. I don't think I really knew what he was on about and I don't think I'd ever really thought about it until then.

Scottiebum
Great Britain

Post by Scottiebum » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:24 am

Being so old(!) I have always worn speedo type swimwear. From starting swimming lessons, through school, and on....
Straight
Scottish
Speedo

swimmy

Post by swimmy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:17 am

As a child I had the typical swim trunks as they called them. I don't recall noticing speedos until I was eleven, joined a swim team, and bought the team (red, white and blue) suit. That suit and the Mark Spitz Stars and Stripes and the green and gold high school team suit got me all through the teen years, anywhere I went. In the Navy I got the Go Navy suit of the Navy team, then a blue and black one off the bargain rack a few years later for watersliding in Wyoming. All these suits got me by till I was about 33. They disappeared with my ski boat. I got the boat back but everything in it was missing. Bummer.

blueflinch
Australia

Post by blueflinch » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:08 pm

Didn't wear speedos growing up. But other guys did - they were compulsory for members of the swim team.

I just thought speedos were incredibly sexy for some reason. Spent a whole swimming carnival staring at one guy's arse in blue speedos and was grateful he was standing in front of me, so he couldn't see me looking. :twisted:

Made me determined to amass my own collection of speedos/sexy underwear/jockstraps one day. 8)

Mazda3mps
Australia

Post by Mazda3mps » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:39 pm

Had speedos when I was a kid in school lessons. Eventually moved away from it as I got older cos everyone else had shorts. Later realised I didn’t like swimming but enjoyed tanning more so got back into speedos for tanning haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChicagoDan

Post by ChicagoDan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:19 pm

I remember having square cut style suits as a kid and loving the tight fit. Then in high schoolnseeing thebswim team in theirnspeedos, and my aunt giving me bikini underwear for christmas, (she was a bit goofy, but fun). I've had a speedo and underwear obsession ever since.

dacondor
United States of America

Post by dacondor » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:34 pm

When I was younger about 2nd or 3rd grade I was staying the night at one of my friends house and we were going swimming. When we were changing in his room I saw a pair of speedos in his drawer that his parents bought for when he swam at the rec center. I asked if I could try them on, and they were absolutely amazing. Unfortunately the next pair I was able to wear after that experience was when I was in high school.

Swimbrieffetish

Post by Swimbrieffetish » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:52 pm

I found myself in UK one holiday with my grandma when I was 12 and oddly she bought me one to swim in a particular day. She got me addicted to them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

blueflinch
Australia

Post by blueflinch » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:13 am

ChicagoDan wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:19 pm
I remember having square cut style suits as a kid and loving the tight fit. Then in high schoolnseeing thebswim team in theirnspeedos, and my aunt giving me bikini underwear for christmas, (she was a bit goofy, but fun). I've had a speedo and underwear obsession ever since.
Goodness. How did she NOT get kicked out of the family? :shock: :mrgreen:

Wish someone bought me skimpy underwear back in the day. :oops:

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:18 am

I had swim briefs when I was at junior school learning to swim. They were black with my swim badges sewn onto them.
Since then I have always loved speedos.
Love speedos, running shorts, rugby shorts, Aussie rules footy shorts.

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:21 am

I first discovered speedos in....The Boy Scout Catalog when I was in seventh grade.. I'm pretty sure they were Speedo brand. They were nylon and came in white/blue and white/red stripes. Then in the ninth grade, or so, my best friend started wearing a pair of swim briefs. Not Speedo brand but sort of a designer brand. I think they had lacing on the side. When I think of it, for the day--mid-sixties--they were unbelievably daring. He was strong--muscular and athletic--so he could wear what he wanted--kind of built like Tom Daley, but a little bigger, and with a little less definition. Why he wanted me for a friend--a bookish introvert--still amazes me.

But it wasn't until college that I bought my first pair of speedos from a sporting goods store. I did manage to get a pair of square cuts in a stretch fabric when I was in high school. A really heavy fabric that was like stretch canvas.
Long time Speedo® lover

sandford50
Great Britain

Post by sandford50 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:51 am

Have always loved wearing (and looking at) speedo suits. Always found myself casually flicking to the swimwear section of home shopping catalogues, before discovering the likes of Kiniki, a British swim and underwear manufacturer and getting them sent to me in the post. Even now, my most used google search is ‘men in speedos’ followed by ‘men in thongs’.

52dno98
United States of America

Post by 52dno98 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:13 pm

I apparently wore them when very young, though I don’t have any memory of that. My cousin who’s a year older than me was a competitive swimmer from like age six all the way through high school, and I remember as a kid visiting him and going to his pool after swim practice (this was in the early 80s) and he and his teammates would just hang out after practice, playing and recreationally swimming at the pool in their speedos. Like it wasn’t a point of embarrassment then (and jammers didn’t exist yet). That was probably my first regular exposure to them.

I didn’t get sexually interested in speedos until I was an adolescent. I remember very vividly the circumstances- I was lying on the couch in my parents’ family room and casually flipping through a Runner’s World catalog. My dad was a casual jogger and was on their mailing list. I happened upon the page with speedo-style suits (for triathlon) and they sold several suits by Hind. I remember getting instantly and incredibly aroused by seeing the speedos and by the thought of wearing one, and I had to sneak that catalog upstairs to my room. I’ve been hooked ever since (and I wish for the life of me I could a) explain the origin of my fetish and b) be more normative and not aroused so much by a piece of clothing, but my weird brain is what it is).

PNWGuy

Post by PNWGuy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:19 pm

As a kid I wore what today we'd call square cuts, but that's all anyone wore in the early 1960s. I saw my first speedo-type suit in a sporting goods store in the "big city" when I was in high school, but couldn't bring myself to buy one. I picked up a Japanese brief suit I found laying on the ground outside the showers area at the Boy Scouts world jamboree in Japan in 1971. It was a bit small for me and I never wore it swimming. I bought my first brief swimsuit when I was in college in the early 1970s. I haven't worn anything else since then, when swimsuits were required.

diveguy
United States of America

Post by diveguy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:34 am

52dno98 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:13 pm
I remember getting instantly and incredibly aroused by seeing the speedos and by the thought of wearing one, and I had to sneak that catalog upstairs to my room. I’ve been hooked ever since (and I wish for the life of me I could a) explain the origin of my fetish and b) be more normative and not aroused so much by a piece of clothing, but my weird brain is what it is).
Join the club. We all have that fetish. Seeing pictures of speedos gave me serious boners, too, and I didn't quite know why, either. I wasn't into the guys that were wearing them, just the suits themselves and, years later, the pulse racing desire to want to wear speedos myself.

I first became aware of Speedos at an early age watching Mark Spitz and others in the Olympics, and especially, seeing the crew members of the Calypso wearing them on the Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau documentaries. I was in awe of these guys wearing nothing but their skimpy black suits that barely hung onto their asses as they wrestled to get mini-submersible submarines hoisted back on the deck of the ship!

Then in High School, the guys on the swim team would be wearing their small, tight, butt and ball hugging speedos and I was secretly envious, but didn't quite realize it at the time. But by the time I was in college, I full-on for sure knew how amazing speedos were, and that I had a huge thing for them, and was totally envious of the guys that were wearing them. But I never even dared think that I could be one of them, mostly because of insecure body image and that I've never really been athletic, and assumed that only well built, athletic guys could justify wearing a speedo. Not some pasty, super skinny guy like me.

It wasn't until I hit 30 that I got enough confidence, and could no longer ignore the desire, and I finally bought my first Speedo, and I was so happy. Every time I put it on, it was instantly boner inducing. And wearing it in the pool or the ocean felt so amazing. And the nasty little tan line that resulted was a side bonus too!
Underwater and Speedo loving straight guy

speedobillyuk
Great Britain

Post by speedobillyuk » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:06 pm

Ah yes, I remember it well. Twas 1972 and Mark Spitz was winning all those gold medals at the Olympics whilst showing off those stars 'n stripes speedos. A teenage neighbour had a paid of the same. Recall really wanting a pair for myself. And that's when it all started.
Speedos - the only way to swim...

Bospeedodude
United States of America

Post by Bospeedodude » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:50 pm

In the early 1980s (when speedos were regular swimwear for about 30% of American males of all ages across the spectrum) my family belonged to a swim and tennis club in suburban Boston, where they were fairly common. I was probably 10 or so, and wasn't too keen at all on them, and was afraid that someone would make me wear them at some point. Fast forward to about 1987 or 1988, when I was a teenager (like 13 or 14), right after my family bought a little vacation house in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. One hot July day, I biked down the road a bit to the local swimming hole, which was situated under a covered bridge, to find five or so boys (and their family members), ranging from my age to a few years older, all in speedos swimming in the river and swinging on a rope swing that hung from the underside of the covered bridge, and jumping into the eddy that made up the swimming hole. I think they were all speaking French, so I assume they were visiting from Quebec (the border is only about 90 minutes north of there). It may sound weird, but I remember feeling kind of jealous of them for the freedom that seemed to come with wearing the speedos. I know I tried hard not to stare, and I think I was pretty good about it, but something really clicked on that day.

swimmy

Post by swimmy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:03 am

speedobillyuk wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:06 pm
Ah yes, I remember it well. Twas 1972 and Mark Spitz was winning all those gold medals at the Olympics whilst showing off those stars 'n stripes speedos. A teenage neighbour had a paid of the same. Recall really wanting a pair for myself. And that's when it all started.
Yup, I was thirteen and every one of us on the swim team HAD to have that suit. Mark was our hero!

Horndog
Hong Kong

Post by Horndog » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:48 pm

We had to wear them for school swimming classes, but it was only when I overheard my parents commenting that a friend of theirs would approve of men wearing full trunks because with a speedo on you can see the guy's junk that it crossed my mind. They were laughing at her for being prudish about it, so they didn't have a problem with speedos themselves - how great is that? Since then like diveguy it's been all about the garment more than the dude but still total fetish. Now I wear speedos in front of my parents, friends, everyone is cool with it and I've got some mates wearing them too.