G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Demystifying Europe and Speedos

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

SpeedoSimone
Germany

Demystifying Europe and Speedos

Post by SpeedoSimone » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:23 pm

Hey guys,

After reading many threads in the forum I've noticed that at some point, many replies say something like this: "In Europe, everyone wears speedos and nobody cares". I've been living in Germany for about 7 years now and visited my fair share of pools, saunas, water parks and beaches. I have noticed that, at least in Germany, Speedos are not as prevalent as you might think. If I had to put numbers to it, I would say that in a Sport environment, speedos represent about 15-25% and that number goes down to 5-10% when in a casual environment.

But one thing is true: nobody cares if you wear speedos. In Germany (at least), you will not get bullied, looked at or shamed for wearing them.

Europeans, how do the numbers look in your countries?

blueflinch
Australia

Re: Demystifying Europe and Speedos

Post by blueflinch » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:07 am

Thanks for sharing, Simone. Maybe people are talking about southern Europe? Spain, Italy, France, etc?

In Australia, you won't get bullied for speedos. Maybe mates might crack a joke or two at your expense, but it's all well-meant. Serious swimmers will wear speedos for training. In casual contexts, it's mostly older men and Asians!!

Your speedos look great in your avatar, by the way. Love the relaxed pose.

BozeHawk
Canada

Post by BozeHawk » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:02 pm

However in Germany if you want to be naked, no problem. In Munich check out Der Englische Garten at lunchtime on any sunny summer day; businessmen, secretaries, pretty much all types taking a naked sun break. I remember as a kid swimming naked weekly with a friend and his brother and father at Berlin's Stadtbad Neukölln; I believe that was the pool seen in Sense8. And of course with all the lakes and seashores in the country there is no lack of naked sunning and swimming.

blueflinch
Australia

Post by blueflinch » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:57 pm

Simone, have you tried any of this naked sunbathing that apparently goes on in your country?

SpeedoSimone
Germany

Post by SpeedoSimone » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:33 am

blueflinch wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:57 pm
Simone, have you tried any of this naked sunbathing that apparently goes on in your country?
Sure have! I've been dozens of times to many kinds of naked events

Nudity in German culture is very present. Most German cities offer many possibilities to be naked in community. You could go to the local sauna, where men and women 16 and over share a common area and full nudity is required. You can go do sports with friends and later share a shower room with no divisions. You can also go to some aquatic parks where, once a week, nudity is enforced throughout the park. Lastly, you can also go to the local lake where more often than not, a designated nudist area is present.

Ive been countless times in saunas with friends, skinny dipped in multiple lakes with nudist areas, done a couple of nude hikes and attended the nudist days at local aquatic parks.

Germans just don't sexualize the body as everyone else does, and I really like this free mentality. The only bad part: being naked all the time ruins your speedo tan

Norfcountryboy
Great Britain

Post by Norfcountryboy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:26 am

SpeedoSimone wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:23 pm
Hey guys,

After reading many threads in the forum I've noticed that at some point, many replies say something like this: "In Europe, everyone wears speedos and nobody cares". I've been living in Germany for about 7 years now and visited my fair share of pools, saunas, water parks and beaches. I have noticed that, at least in Germany, Speedos are not as prevalent as you might think. If I had to put numbers to it, I would say that in a Sport environment, speedos represent about 15-25% and that number goes down to 5-10% when in a casual environment.

But one thing is true: nobody cares if you wear speedos. In Germany (at least), you will not get bullied, looked at or shamed for wearing them.

Europeans, how do the numbers look in your countries?
I'd say anywhere between 1 and 50% in England depending on the location and type of swimmers. More sporty pools, e.g college pools or full 50m ones are the most Speedo heavy. Maybe what people mean is; "In Europe, everyone CAN wear speedos and nobody cares". The most that happens when I've been to the pool or the beach is that people might check you out.
Real men wear Speedo's

blueflinch
Australia

Post by blueflinch » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:23 pm

SpeedoSimone wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:33 am
Germans just don't sexualize the body as everyone else does, and I really like this free mentality. The only bad part: being naked all the time ruins your speedo tan
Haha! An interesting drawback! :P

aznspeedoboy
United States of America

Post by aznspeedoboy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:27 pm

BozeHawk wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:02 pm
In Munich check out Der Englische Garten at lunchtime on any sunny summer day; businessmen, secretaries, pretty much all types taking a naked sun break.
I've been to Englische Garten and saw a good number of people in speedos/swim briefs and even guys in their underwear.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this post, great to get your guys' perspective versus a typical American viewpoint. Cheers!
20-something year old asian boy who loves speedos. 8)

burgundyspeedo
Australia

Post by burgundyspeedo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:11 am

The bathhouses in Budapest are also somewhat speedo-lacking, but all the guys that do wear them rarely get a second look, very normal

Aircat
Australia

Post by Aircat » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:18 am

Lap swimming in Australia is almost all Speedo brief or jammers.
Anyone swimming laps in shorts is the weirdo.

The beach is mostly shorts, but it's perfectly acceptable to wear speedo breifs thought could get jokes, skimpier than the standard 5cm Speedo will get disapproval beyond the city beaches. Depends on body fitness, if good you can see it intimidates other men in shorts that you literally have the balls and they don't, and older women often give an appreciative smile.

...:::sam:::...
Australia

Post by ...:::sam:::... » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:43 am

Aircat wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:18 am

The beach is mostly shorts, but it's perfectly acceptable to wear speedo breifs thought could get jokes, skimpier than the standard 5cm Speedo will get disapproval beyond the city beaches. Depends on body fitness, if good you can see it intimidates other men in shorts that you literally have the balls and they don't, and older women often give an appreciative smile.

Aircat is so on point for Australia although I used to always wear AB 1" and get away with it.

ReservedEnthusiast
Italy

Post by ReservedEnthusiast » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:50 am

I just went to the lake yesterday in the Italian Lake District and only saw a single speedo. All the guys were in very short shorts though, and the guy I was with wore trunks which hid virtually nothing. It was a slow day though, and not one of the more popular beaches, and it was storming for part of the day, so I can’t say that’s the norm.

blueflinch
Australia

Post by blueflinch » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:15 am

...:::sam:::... wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:43 am
Aircat is so on point for Australia although I used to always wear AB 1" and get away with it.
If you didn't wear the AB 1", how would your fan club know it was you? :lol:

blueflinch
Australia

Post by blueflinch » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:17 am

Aircat wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:18 am

This is so true. The first time I wore a speedo (black, regular) to the council pool, an old lady doing her exercises gave me a big smile as I walked down the ramp into the water! :oops: :lol:

Australia

Post by ...:::sam:::... » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:04 am

blueflinch wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:15 am
Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:43 am
If you didn't wear the AB 1", how would your fan club know it was you? :lol:
:lol: If only! :oops:

Australia

Post by ...:::sam:::... » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:08 am

ReservedEnthusiast wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:50 am
I just went to the lake yesterday in the Italian Lake District and only saw a single speedo. All the guys were in very short shorts though, and the guy I was with wore trunks which hid virtually nothing. It was a slow day though, and not one of the more popular beaches, and it was storming for part of the day, so I can’t say that’s the norm.
Absolutely stunning area if you're talking the Magiorre Como etc area.

ReservedEnthusiast
Italy

Post by ReservedEnthusiast » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:55 am

Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:08 am
ReservedEnthusiast wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:50 am
Absolutely stunning area if you're talking the Magiorre Como etc area.
Yep. Monate to be specific. Not the most picturesque/popular, but serene and much less touristy.

sandford50
Great Britain

Post by sandford50 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:39 am

While on a tram in Alicante, Spain yesterday a guy came on board wearing a tee shirt over a pair of black speedos, stayed on for a few stops and got off. He was young and looked local and totally relaxed in his style of dress. Good for him, I thought.

Needless to say, I will be sporting my own today on the Spanish beaches

Scottiebum
Great Britain

Post by Scottiebum » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:16 am

sandford50 wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:39 am
While on a tram in Alicante, Spain yesterday a guy came on board wearing a tee shirt over a pair of black speedos, stayed on for a few stops and got off. He was young and looked local and totally relaxed in his style of dress. Good for him, I thought.

But not on the trams :?: !!
Straight
Scottish
Speedo

sandford50
Great Britain

Post by sandford50 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:34 am

Scottiebum wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:16 am
sandford50 wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:39 am

But not on the trams :?: !!
No just a pair of red h.i.s. Swimbriefs on the beach. Sadly I was the only one, but wore them without hesitation.