G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Florida Panhandle vacation

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

rmf

Florida Panhandle vacation

Post by rmf » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:43 am

So we are back from our panhandle beach vacation after week and a half stay in the Seagrove beach area of South Walton County. While the panhandle and this area is really, really conservative, I think we settled on a spot / access area that we like. It's across the Tom Thumb on 30A. Since it is a neighborhood access point, it's not crowed and there is county owned beach which with what is happening in Florida, guarantees public beach use to the dry sand. Unfortunately we did see a lot of signs up by the HOAs and beach front owners trying to enforce their rights to the dry sand of the beach. Except for one guy, no HOAs were being a jerk about being on the the private dry sand like they are in other parts of Walton county.

As in previous years, my son and I were the only two in briefs the entire time but I did see a few guys in square cuts suits. One was an older gentleman (definitely foreigner) and another jogging on the beach. The third was down a little and middle aged with his wife. It wasn't crowed so if anyone noticed, they weren't close enough for us to even notice. We have been to other access points and I think this is definitely the best one thus far out of convenience - without getting into more details.

We had good friends down with us too. No embarrassment on my part to wear them in front of them since I swim with the husband and they have seem me in briefs weekly. I told them when I am on vacation I also wear them and I don't think it surprised them the least bit.

If you never been to 30A or area, it's a pretty nice place to visit. Having found this access point pretty good to be at for the family and very comfortable to walk around in swim briefs, I am officially designating it the spot to be at for now on. I would recommend it if you are thinking of coming down to this area. It's probably easier than some of the more crowed beaches in Walton County.
Last edited by rmf on Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
straight, married w/ kids.

diveguy
United States of America

Re: Florida Panhandle vacation

Post by diveguy » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:28 am

Thanks rmf! Always appreciate a "speedo update" report from the beaches that our group members visit.
Underwater and Speedo loving straight guy

52dno98
United States of America

Post by 52dno98 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:37 pm

rmf wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:43 am
If you never been to 30A or area, it's a pretty nice place to visit. Having found this access point pretty good to be at for the family and very comfortable to walk around in swim briefs, I am officially designating it the spot to be at for now on. I would recommend it if you are thinking of coming down to this area. It's probably easier than some of the more crowed beaches in Walton County.
Can confirm that the more crowded beaches in Walton County- where I am right now- are definitely not brief friendly. I’ve been on the beach three days this week and have yet to see another guy in briefs. It’s actually encouraged me to keep my shorts on, lest I look SO out of place.

Truth be told if I wanted to look really run of the mill here, I’d need to wear knee-length shorts and carry a massive gut. That seems to be the most common look.

I should say that I said “fuck it” this afternoon and pulled my shorts off while sitting in my beach chair. I didn’t walk around but I did try to continue developing my speedo tan.

rmf

Post by rmf » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:13 am

52dno98 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:37 pm
rmf wrote:
Can confirm that the more crowded beaches in Walton County- where I am right now- are definitely not brief friendly. I’ve been on the beach three days this week and have yet to see another guy in briefs. It’s actually encouraged me to keep my shorts on, lest I look SO out of place.
This is the access point that I mentioned...it's a neighborhood access point so it's not too crowed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
https://sowal.com/place/beachwood-villas-access

Having the Tom Thumb at the top of the steps makes it great. And I will be 100% honest... after about the 2nd or 3rd beer by about noon in 90 degree weather hanging out with friends and family, I didn't really give a rats ass who, if anyone, was looking at me. We were all hanging out laughing, listing to music and having a good time. And as the day went on, I became more non aware of people around me. We saw the same people each day so that made it even more easier too. No surprises, right...

52dno98
United States of America

Post by 52dno98 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:21 am

My in-laws took our son home a day early so it was just my wife and me on the beach yesterday, so the shorts came off. She was a little non-plussed at first, but I told her that we were never going to see the people around us again, and if we just played it cool and she didn’t make a scene it wouldn’t be a big deal. And it wasn’t.

I did have to stop her from trying to take my picture and post it to Instagram...

Anyway, she said, “if anyone asks I’ll tell them it’s my French cousin Henry” (pronounced ahn-REE) and so that sort of became a joke yesterday. She’s fluent in French and was trying to teach me things I could say in French if anyone spoke to me. Which they didn’t. Because even if anyone cared, they didn’t say anything to me about it. Speedo on, guys.

SpeedoUSA

Post by SpeedoUSA » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:00 pm

52dno98 wrote:My in-laws took our son home a day early so it was just my wife and me on the beach yesterday, so the shorts came off. She was a little non-plussed at first, but I told her that we were never going to see the people around us again, and if we just played it cool and she didn’t make a scene it wouldn’t be a big deal. And it wasn’t.

I did have to stop her from trying to take my picture and post it to Instagram...

Anyway, she said, “if anyone asks I’ll tell them it’s my French cousin Henry” (pronounced ahn-REE) and so that sort of became a joke yesterday. She’s fluent in French and was trying to teach me things I could say in French if anyone spoke to me. Which they didn’t. Because even if anyone cared, they didn’t say anything to me about it. Speedo on, guys.
Does she like you in a brief?
Keep her used to it and she’ll come around...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Str8 Speedo fan

52dno98
United States of America

Post by 52dno98 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:17 am

SpeedoUSA wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:00 pm
Does she like you in a brief?
Keep her used to it and she’ll come around...
"No" is the short answer, and I hope you're right.

geauxboi
United States of America

Post by geauxboi » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:33 pm

rmf wrote:
As in previous years, my son and I were the only two in briefs the entire time but I did see a few guys in square cuts suits. One was an older gentleman (definitely foreigner) and another jogging on the beach. The third was down a little and middle aged with his wife. It wasn't crowed so if anyone noticed, they weren't close enough for us to even notice. We have been to other access points and I think this is definitely the best one thus far out of convenience - without getting into more details.
Thanks for the update! Sounds like a good trip. It's still the same, no one is wearing briefs only shorts, and probably mostly long board shorts....ugh! It is the same when I go to Florida panhandle. Nothing seems to change. Oh well.....

Birdsong73

Post by Birdsong73 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:07 pm

Anybody know anything about how Orange Beach in GA which is right next to the Panhandle looks upon speedos? We are thinking about vacationing there this summer. I’ve already spoken to my wife and daughter and they are both ok with it.

MrMusik
United States of America

Post by MrMusik » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:33 pm

Birdsong73 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:07 pm
Anybody know anything about how Orange Beach in GA which is right next to the Panhandle looks upon speedos? We are thinking about vacationing there this summer. I’ve already spoken to my wife and daughter and they are both ok with it.
You are thinking about Orange Beach Alabama, not Georgia. Georgia only touches the Atlantic Ocean and does not touch the Gulf of Mexico. The Florida Panhandle, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas are the Gulf Coast States.

Generally speaking, the Florida Panhandle, the Alabama coast and the Mississippi coast are often referred to as the "Redneck Rivera". As such, the experiences in the Florida Panhandle are very similar to the experiences in the Alabama and Mississippi coastal regions.

I live in Mississippi, about 3 hours from the coast. However, I'm not much a fan of the Mississippi beaches. The Alabama beaches seem to be cleaner and nicer in general. I have not had the opportunity to visit the beaches of the Florida Panhandle, but I'll wager to guess that they are even nicer than the beaches in Alabama.

In Alabama you probably want to go to the area around Orange Beach, but if you want to look at Florida, Destin is another popular destination like Orange Beach.

52dno98
United States of America

Post by 52dno98 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:12 pm

MrMusik wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:33 pm
In Alabama you probably want to go to the area around Orange Beach, but if you want to look at Florida, Destin is another popular destination like Orange Beach.
As I said earlier in this thread, the speedo scene in Destin- and in Orange Beach, because it’s roughly the same crowd- is pretty much nonexistent. That said, I wouldn’t say it’s hostile towards speedos- just know you’ll be alone if you wear them.

MrMusik
United States of America

Post by MrMusik » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:25 pm

52dno98 wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:12 pm
MrMusik wrote:
As I said earlier in this thread, the speedo scene in Destin- and in Orange Beach, because it’s roughly the same crowd- is pretty much nonexistent. That said, I wouldn’t say it’s hostile towards speedos- just know you’ll be alone if you wear them.
Yeah, exactly. It is very unlikely there will be any hostility, but there will likely not be anyone else wearing bikini styles. Personally, I'm fine with that. I don't mind being the odd one, but some people just can't deal with it.

beachg0y
United States of America

Post by beachg0y » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:39 am

When I visited the Alabama coast, I wore my camo bikini swim briefs, figured the camo would be something the locals could relate to. Man, was it crazy hot that day!

BriefsBro
United States of America

Post by BriefsBro » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:42 pm

rmf wrote:
So we are back from our panhandle beach vacation after week and a half stay in the Seagrove beach area of South Walton County. While the panhandle and this area is really, really conservative, I think we settled on a spot / access area that we like. It's across the Tom Thumb on 30A. Since it is a neighborhood access point, it's not crowed and there is county owned beach which with what is happening in Florida, guarantees public beach use to the dry sand. Unfortunately we did see a lot of signs up by the HOAs and beach front owners trying to enforce their rights to the dry sand of the beach. Except for one guy, no HOAs were being a jerk about being on the the private dry sand like they are in other parts of Walton county.

Did you say you have a husband? Since you have a son and it’s just you three dudes, are you all more relaxed about Speedo’s, modesty and all? How’s the life like at home?

My boyfriend pretty much let’s me do whatever I want at home. I might even be a nudist at some point. Sometimes I think of the times ahead and a family and I just have to wonder about the details.

rmf

Post by rmf » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:26 pm

No, you might be mixing me up with someone else. I'm married, kids and my wife doesn't care what I wear as long as I don't bother asking her if I should wear them or not at places like this. To her, it's just a swimsuit. I can pretty much wear what I want. I'm not into flashy or extremely small suits which I think is perfectly fine with her. In general, I draw the line at 2" sides and plain suits. My kids are on swim on teams and both my wife and I swim for fitness so we are all use to being around swim briefs so it's really not a big deal.

rmf

Post by rmf » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:35 pm

52dno98 wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:12 pm
MrMusik wrote:
second that... You just don't see it. We prefer to stay on 30A which is just south of Destin. At certain beach access points, it not crowed. The beaches are outstanding. We go to the same access point each year and we are pretty much one of a few people on the beach.

geauxboi
United States of America

Post by geauxboi » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:39 am

Gonna be in Pensacola Beach tomorrow and Monday if anybody wants to join me let me know!

swimmerbud
United States of America

Post by swimmerbud » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:33 pm

Nice update/report. I have to give particular kudos to the son(s) who are not afraid to wear speedos outside a competition pool! I will admit it definitely gets easier to say "f*** it" as one gets older.
Life is short, Speedo on
USA | Mostly Straight

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:51 am

rmf wrote:
So we are back from our panhandle beach vacation after week and a half stay in the Seagrove beach area of South Walton County....
Hey thanks for the panhandle report. I've never been there, even though I've lived in South Florida for well over a decade. I do have a lady friend who moved up there from here, and I want to visit. Surprisingly long drive from SoFL. And, as you say, it's quite conservative. There's a planned community called Seaside there (with good architecture that I could never afford) that I'd like to visit that has a nice beach, but I don't know what the access is, if any, for non-residents.
Long time Speedo® lover

rmf

Post by rmf » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:32 am

Thom wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:51 am
...There's a planned community called Seaside there (with good architecture that I could never afford) that I'd like to visit that has a nice beach, but I don't know what the access is, if any, for non-residents.
Customary Use (CU) has thrown SOWAL into a mess as the law was specifically targeted by hired lobbyist of beach front owners (BFO) in SOWAL. Now much of the 'dry' sand has been blocked off for public use. If you stay in Seaside proper, you will get a wrist band which will allow you to go to the private beach area and sit in the 'dry' sand. In front of Bud & Ally's there is some public beach that you can sit in the 'dry' area without having to actually rent in Seaside. If you stay just south in Seagrove, there are public beach accesses along with more BFO's who have not thrown down their stake and chained off the beach as their private back yard and will allow people to sit on the dry area of the beach. Seagrove is where we like to stay because you don't have to pay Seaside prices but are close enough to enjoy what the town has to offer.

I mentioned this above but the access point we like is in front of the Tom Thumb on 30A, It's great because the access has county owned beach front to the left that can be easily accessed without worrying that you will be harassed for being on private beach area. And having Tom Thumb at the entry gives us quick access to those much needed things while at the beach .... ice cream and beer.

We have our summer trip planned in August. I know we are one of the few that anyone will ever see wearing briefs down there but because we have gone to this same access now for several years in a row, the locals should be getting use to us by now... :lol: