G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Double standard!

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Re: Double standard!

Post by Speedoaddict » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:56 pm

I love kids. I have a 9yr old niece, a god son who is now 19. I am a bigger kid they they are.
I can see why they do it (I don’t agree with it), but I do see it.
They are trying to stop what they think of as men exposing themselves to people who do not want to see men in speedos and showing their junk through the trunk, by doing this they are trying to cut off the complaints from probably women before they start. People also think men wearing a speedo (as we have discussed many times on this forum) are gay.
You go to places like Greece, Canary Islands, Italy and other parts of the Med and you won’t find this.
It’s only in places like the USA and UK, where attitudes towards this kind of swimwear (Speedos for men and bikinis for women) are frowned upon.
As for the larger size men and women wearing them don’t they think they have enough to contend with. I myself am on the large size and I have a self image problem, but who are they to tell me what to wear. It’s like going to the gym and being told I can’t wear shorts because I am to big and I have to wear a track suit. I think you can also put some of this down to political correctness. They are scared of upsetting the majority (their customers) and picking on the minority (speedo wearers, bikini wearers, men and women of a certain size). I can’t see this changing either. Magazines push good looking men and women, toned and tanned saying this is how you should look. Until companies (other than those focusing towards the gay community as far as Speedos go, start marketing the speedo to main stream men as beach wear, swim wear and public pools encourage the wearing of Speedos and bikini on health and environmental reasons then the attitudes of people as they stand will remain as the status quo.
I hope this makes a bit of sense.
This is only an idea of what might be going on in these small minded idiots heads. So please don’t have ago at me. 👍🏻
Love speedos, running shorts, rugby shorts, Aussie rules footy shorts.

ChicagoDan

Post by ChicagoDan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:51 pm

If you don't like kids, why are you going on a Boy Scout scuba excursion?

chicagoswim

Post by chicagoswim » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:21 pm

ChicagoDan wrote:If you don't like kids, why are you going on a Boy Scout scuba excursion?
Birdsong was the OP about the excursion. Devil dog was the one who mentioned not liking kids. I also got confused and had to scroll back up to sort it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wearing what I want, where I want, when I want...no exceptions! ;-)

swimmy

Post by swimmy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:04 pm

Okay I totally get the weight and body fat and fitness concern, they just don't want to have medical emergencies. I appreciate that they prefer people who can set a good example accompanying the scouts. However, it was being around really out of shape, miserably unfit dads of friends and some teachers that made me decide that was not the way to be and I promised myself I'd never be like that. So I hope they will encourage those ineligible for the adventures to definitely join in the activities they are welcome at, with full access for emergency paramedics and medivac helicopters.... The boys should see what the overly casual lifestyle of too many donuts and diet Dr. Peppers will do to a man.
As for the swimsuit rule, they sure found a nice way to say they don't want any gay attire, didn't they? It's the Boy Scouts, they have had enough of the trouble and jokes about it and no doubt would do anything to prevent having more, regardless of how uncomfortable board shorts will be in the wetsuit.
I am certain every policy and every word of the printed guidelines has been very carefully scrutinized and edited by their attorneys, too. And I don't think there is any double standard to complain about. Really.

chicagoswim

Post by chicagoswim » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:10 am

swimmy wrote:Okay I totally get the weight and body fat and fitness concern, they just don't want to have medical emergencies. I appreciate that they prefer people who can set a good example accompanying the scouts. However, it was being around really out of shape, miserably unfit dads of friends and some teachers that made me decide that was not the way to be and I promised myself I'd never be like that. So I hope they will encourage those ineligible for the adventures to definitely join in the activities they are welcome at, with full access for emergency paramedics and medivac helicopters.... The boys should see what the overly casual lifestyle of too many donuts and diet Dr. Peppers will do to a man.
As for the swimsuit rule, they sure found a nice way to say they don't want any gay attire, didn't they? It's the Boy Scouts, they have had enough of the trouble and jokes about it and no doubt would do anything to prevent having more, regardless of how uncomfortable board shorts will be in the wetsuit.
I am certain every policy and every word of the printed guidelines has been very carefully scrutinized and edited by their attorneys, too. And I don't think there is any double standard to complain about. Really.
If it’s under a wetsuit, I don’t understand the issue of wearing a speedo vs trunks/shorts. It won’t be seen, same as underwear isn’t seen under your clothing. Go into a changing room, change in a stall or a shower if you need to, and go about the excursion.

Scottiebum
Great Britain

Post by Scottiebum » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:41 am

I don't understand the problem with the fitted swimwear and adults, it is something that can be seen in many places including TV, as I have said before wrestlers in singlets show more than speedo wearers because it is not 'contained' in a small garment.

If they are worried about inappropriate behaviour then these people should not be around kids regardless of what they are wearing!!
Straight
Scottish
Speedo

Mazda3mps
Australia

Post by Mazda3mps » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:08 pm

devildog wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:15 am
Anyway sorry don't mind me ranting. I don't like kids. I mean... I find them extremely annoying. In supermarkets, in traffic, basically everywhere. In my own family I can tolerate them, as long as they don't start whining or crying. But if I go to a pool I prefer the competition pool, and if I go to the beach I prefer an adult beach.
totally agree.. especially when kids splash around when you are trying to exercise :P

PNWGuy

Post by PNWGuy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:13 pm

I've been a Scout leader, and know that you've got to (mostly) play by their rules. That said, on a whitewater rafting outing a number of years ago I wore a very short pair of rather old American flag full-split running shorts as swimwear throughout the trip and no one said anything. I had my speedo with me, but chose not to wear it since no one else was. Everyone else wore something closer to board shorts. On a different trip, with a group of Scouts to Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico, we spent our last night before flying home at a motel in Albuquerque that had a pool. I comfortably stripped to my speedo to join the rest of the group in the pool. No one cared. Our troop was pretty relaxed, which was a good thing.

ChicagoDan

Post by ChicagoDan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:52 pm

chicagoswim wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:21 pm
ChicagoDan wrote:If you don't like kids, why are you going on a Boy Scout scuba excursion?
Birdsong was the OP about the excursion. Devil dog was the one who mentioned not liking kids. I also got confused and had to scroll back up to sort it out.

My mistake. Thanks for correcting me

chicagoswim

Post by chicagoswim » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:24 pm

ChicagoDan wrote:
chicagoswim wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:21 pm

My mistake. Thanks for correcting me

Aircat
Australia

Post by Aircat » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:01 am

Is it actually banning tight fitting swimwear, or just stuff which could suffer a wardrobe malfunction nut slip?

Ie jammers and square cut might be acceptable?

Can understand why they are paranoid about something slipping out and being blown out of proportion as an exposure incident.

It's still a phobia, but not just anti gay or whatever.

The weight stuff is unrelated, it's diving in Florida which has caverns, and they have medical and rescue concerns.

Birdsong73

Post by Birdsong73 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:59 am

So, here’s an update. I decided to send an email to the Scout base because I really don’t want to cause a problem (yes, I was making a mountain out of a mole hill). I asked the director of the scuba program if I could wear a swim brief or other tight fitting suit under my wetsuit if I was discreet and maintained modesty at all times. I also mentioned I have a groin injury (I hurt myself rock climbing in November) and would a doctors note allowing for more support in my groin make a difference. He replied and said of course I could wear a tight fitting swimsuit under my wetsuit if that would make me more comfortable. He also cautioned that I may just want to wear a pair of nylon shorts over the swim brief because of the heat. And to cover all my bases, I even have the doctors note just in case. When my doctor handed me the note, he said “I tried to be brief,” and chuckled. That made me laugh.

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:22 am

Birdsong73 wrote:So, here’s an update. I decided to send an email to the Scout base because I really don’t want to cause a problem (yes, I was making a mountain out of a mole hill). I asked the director of the scuba program if I could wear a swim brief or other tight fitting suit under my wetsuit if I was discreet and maintained modesty at all times. I also mentioned I have a groin injury (I hurt myself rock climbing in November) and would a doctors note allowing for more support in my groin make a difference. He replied and said of course I could wear a tight fitting swimsuit under my wetsuit if that would make me more comfortable. He also cautioned that I may just want to wear a pair of nylon shorts over the swim brief because of the heat. And to cover all my bases, I even have the doctors note just in case. When my doctor handed me the note, he said “I tried to be brief,” and chuckled. That made me laugh.
Great news Birdsong, nice to see its all sorted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Love speedos, running shorts, rugby shorts, Aussie rules footy shorts.