G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Center Snorkel

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Center Snorkel

Post by Speedoaddict » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:30 pm

Just a quick question,do any of the forum members use center snorkels to swim laps?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Love speedos, running shorts, rugby shorts, Aussie rules footy shorts.

swissswimmer
Switzerland

Re: Center Snorkel

Post by swissswimmer » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:59 pm

Yes I do bit only to focus on stroke technique and body posture it helps a lot

packedspeedo
United States of America

Post by packedspeedo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:03 am

I do. It definitely helps with body position. Flip turns are tougher. One of the guys at my gym has a neck injury so he can't turn his head all the way to one side, so that's why he uses it.

karlos
Great Britain

Post by karlos » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:00 am

I’d ask at the pool first, as a lot in the UK won’t allow snorkels on health and safety grounds. I Enquired to a few round me a while ago about using one, as I’ve been trying to learn to swim on and off for a number of years struggling with breathing caused by weak leg kick, poor body position (tend to sink when trying to breathe) and a sore/weak lower back. As my thinking was as I struggle to even do half to two thirds of a length, at least if I removed the breathing head/body rotation (which can make my back worse/suddenly tense up) and could manage a couple of lengths I’d at least start to build up my legs and back and actually make progress.

But I was told by both pools I enquired to that they were banned (during any sessions, even with supervision) under health and safety grounds, could possibly bump into other swimmers and with a person’s head permanently face down the lifeguards wouldn’t be able to tell if someone was in difficulty or not.
While I don’t completely agree, rather than the pool take the risk and have something happen they just totally ban them instead.

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:24 am

Thanks Karlos,

What a silly rule. Well that puts that idea to bed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

...:::sam:::...
Australia

Post by ...:::sam:::... » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:03 am

Lifeguards there must be a bit basic. Rarely use them, but only for focused swimming drills

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:35 am

I have had a reply to an email I sent to a pool near me and they have banned snorkels of every description from the pool. I am waiting to hear from 2 more.
I find this shocking to be honest. Big Brother gone mad.

MrMusik
United States of America

Post by MrMusik » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:59 pm

Speedoaddict wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:35 am
I have had a reply to an email I sent to a pool near me and they have banned snorkels of every description from the pool. I am waiting to hear from 2 more.
I find this shocking to be honest. Big Brother gone mad.
Wow, that seems fairly insane.

Speedeau
Canada

Post by Speedeau » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:04 pm

I use one once in a while either. It can help to better feel and correct your position since you don't have to bother anymore about the breathing sideways. I also use it for some kick series to avoid some pain in the neck, but not too often. I even have a cap that I can put on the tip of it that reduces the breathing hole size. This is supposed to help to improve your pulmonary capacity. In general though, I find it is not the most essential accessory, I find the pull buoy, the fins, the paddles and the kickboard much more useful, but that's me.