G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Swim Lessons

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

52dno98
United States of America

Swim Lessons

Post by 52dno98 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:35 am

I have an upcoming series of swim lessons with an instructor at the local YMCA. I'm of course going to wear a speedo. I'm looking forward to it.

My instructor is female and just out of college. I hope I don't freak her out, lol.

Anyone else wear speedos to a one on one swim lesson?

Thom
United States of America

Re: Swim Lessons

Post by Thom » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:56 am

52dno98 wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:35 am
I have an upcoming series of swim lessons with an instructor at the local YMCA. I'm of course going to wear a speedo. I'm looking forward to it.

My instructor is female and just out of college. I hope I don't freak her out, lol.

Anyone else wear speedos to a one on one swim lesson?
Since she's a swimming instructor, I'm sure she'll be cool about it. She probably saw plenty of dudes in speedos in college--(unless it was a Bible college :lol: ). And with YOUR body in a speedo, she might be VERY cool about it.

I took some stand-up paddle board (SUP) lessons a few years ago from a lady in her mid-twenties. She wore and looked hot in a small bikini. Before I put on my wet suit, I was helping her move the boards and gear from the SUV to the beach wearing only a solid blue speedo brand suit with two inch sides. She didn't bat an eye. She wanted me to take another lesson. For me, it's still a memorable occasion. I'm sure you'll be fine.
Last edited by Thom on Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long time Speedo® lover

Nate
Wales

Post by Nate » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:17 am

Swimming instructors see guys in speedos all the time. I think she'll be quite glad to see someone turn up to a swimming lesson in something other than baggy boardshorts as they will affect your body position (drag and all that)and make the job harder for her aswell as for you.

Let us know how you get on!

MISwimmer

Post by MISwimmer » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:10 am

It will just show the instructor that you are serious about learning how to swim properly! Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

52dno98
United States of America

Post by 52dno98 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:39 pm

Nate wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:17 am
I’ll be sure to report back!

And it’s one thing to be a somewhat anonymous pool user, where I never have to interact with anyone. At the outside, maybe I’ll ask a swimmer if I can shed a lane.

It will be quite another to have a conversation with my coach where she’ll get to know me.

I don’t know, it just seems a little more intimidating when I have to interact with someone. But also more exciting!

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:20 pm

52dno98 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:39 pm

And it’s one thing to be a somewhat anonymous pool user, where I never have to interact with anyone. At the outside, maybe I’ll ask a swimmer if I can shed a lane.

It will be quite another to have a conversation with my coach where she’ll get to know me.

I don’t know, it just seems a little more intimidating when I have to interact with someone. But also more exciting!
Looking forward to your report.
Last edited by Thom on Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long time Speedo® lover

...:::sam:::...
Australia

Post by ...:::sam:::... » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:26 am

52dno98 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:39 pm
Nate wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:17 am

I can assure you that you dont need to be intimidated at all. I know this is hard to believe, but she wont be thinking about what you're wearing after the first 0.5 of a second after seeing you for the first time.

As an enthusiast, you might look at somebody an think oh wow, thats a pair of Aussiebum Ice blue nylon loose wonderjocks with 1.5" sides that are totally reliant on that half done up drawstring which might come done with the next push off and they have no elastic waist to hold them on. The sheer rating of 9/10 wont really matter because the next level of sheer rating is totally off with that drawstring almost undone those babys are about about 30seccs from coming completely off. The low cut on those things really accentuate the V groove and it looks like his snail trail has been taken out and the lack of pubes over the top means he's either shiney or shaven.

She, every coach and every other swimmer on the other hand thinks... speedos, he's a swimmer, hurry up, get into lane 4, I want 200m easy warm up then we will get into it.

Honestly, when someone comes into my lane with boardshorts on, thats when I start to wonder. Lycra means you mean swimming business. Shorts means you're in for a stuff around and should be hanging off an end lane wall.

shadowmn
United States of America

Post by shadowmn » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:51 am

I took a Masters swim class about 10 years ago. I wore a blue speedo and there was one other guy that wore one as well. Everyone else wore trunks. I wasn’t the least bit nervous when I walked out to the pool in my speedo the first class. Anyone who considers swimming as a sport or recreation will wear appropriate swimwear. I don’t know understand how people in a Masters swim class wear baggy shorts. At the very least, they should have worn jammers. So much drag with baggies.
Just a straight guy that enjoys wearing speedos. Life is too short, enjoy wearing what you want.

BJE
United States of America

Post by BJE » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:03 pm

I took an adult swim conditioning class last year. Only one other man and I signed up. I wore a different speedo for each class. The other man wore long swim shorts. The instructor was a woman in her thirties wearing a one piece suit with high leg cuts and mostly backless. I don’t think she thought anything was unusual with me wearing a speedo since that’s what swimmers wear.

However I must admit that while the other guy was quite fat, he was a lot younger than me and could easily out swim me.

52dno98
United States of America

Post by 52dno98 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:10 pm

So I had my lesson. The report:

We started the lesson poolside. I was dressed in trunks over my suit and a tee shirt; we had a little chitchat about my goals, where I am as a swimmer, etc. So it’s time for me to get in the pool so she can assess my stroke. Moment of truth. I took a deep breath and stripped down to my speedo and jumped in the pool.

I have to say in retrospect that the very first time I wore a speedo in public was much more intimidating. Now that I’ve been doing it for five years or whatever, it really wasn’t that big a deal. There was even another swimmer in a speedo (not a common occurrence at this pool). Now he happened to be in his 20’s and he was a former collegiate swimmer, so he absolutely destroyed me in comparison, but at least I wasn’t the odd man out. And as expected, she said nothing and there was zero awkwardness whatsoever.

For the record, I wore a Tyr Penello suit:
5709B219-CF50-42C0-BBFA-C3163404F87F.jpeg
5709B219-CF50-42C0-BBFA-C3163404F87F.jpeg (97.65 KiB) Viewed 8149 times

Scottiebum
Great Britain

Post by Scottiebum » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:46 pm

Well done, glad it went well
Straight
Scottish
Speedo

Speedo1986
United States of America

Post by Speedo1986 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:43 pm

Well done and you look good in the TYR. Keep it up.

MISwimmer

Post by MISwimmer » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:14 pm

Excellent. Great suit and it looks great on you! Congrats. Speedo on!

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:06 pm

52dno98 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:10 pm
So I had my lesson. The report:

And as expected, she said nothing and there was zero awkwardness whatsoever.

Well done!!

Nice suit, BTW.

Tom
Long time Speedo® lover

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:48 pm

BJE wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:03 pm

However I must admit that while the other guy was quite fat, he was a lot younger than me and could easily out swim me.
Sounds like he had more "flotation" material. :lol:

Google "Total Immersion Swimming" You can buy some videos from them that are helpful. Here's the blog of someone who used their methods. They helped me too. I have muscle damage from a childhood disease, including a horribly stiff neck that restricts my range of motion. Still, I"m much more comfortable in the water than I was previously, even though I'll never be a speedster. There might even be a TI coach in your area. Take private lessons. I just used their book and a video. The latest video is the best thing. Here's the blog of a man who used the system..

https://tim.blog/2008/08/13/total-immer ... u-can-too/
Long time Speedo® lover

Boywear
Great Britain

Post by Boywear » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:20 pm

52dno98 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:10 pm
Good on you buddy! And you're looking good for the lessons too!

At a normal lane pool, Speedos are so excepted! It's basically the norm!

It's amazing what out minds do to us, thinking Everyone is looking.. where as really... like us with others in the pool.. we really don't care about what else is going on.
Doing it for the first time is the hardest bit.. then tada, We're a Speedo swimmer ;-)
London - Addicted Speedo Swimmer - Always open for a speedo Chat

52dno98
United States of America

Post by 52dno98 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:58 am

Boywear wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:20 pm
It's amazing what out minds do to us, thinking Everyone is looking.. where as really... like us with others in the pool.. we really don't care about what else is going on.
Doing it for the first time is the hardest bit.. then tada, We're a Speedo swimmer ;-)
Well as I said in my post above, I've been swimming in a speedo in public for four or five years, so it's not an unfamiliar experience to me. But there's also a certain sense of anonymity at a popular pool, too. There's a difference between someone at the pool thinking "hey, there's that random guy who always swims in a speedo" and "hey, there's Jim who I go to church with and whose daughter Melissa is in my son's class at school- what the hell is he doing wearing a speedo?"

Regardless, I had another lesson today and it went fine.

BJE
United States of America

Post by BJE » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:27 pm

52dno98 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:58 am

Well as I said in my post above, I've been swimming in a speedo in public for four or five years, so it's not an unfamiliar experience to me. But there's also a certain sense of anonymity at a popular pool, too. There's a difference between someone at the pool thinking "hey, there's that random guy who always swims in a speedo" and "hey, there's Jim who I go to church with and whose daughter Melissa is in my son's class at school- what the hell is he doing wearing a speedo?"

Regardless, I had another lesson today and it went fine.
I understand exactly what you’re saying about just being that guy who wears a speedo since at my athletic club I’m that guy. However I do Taekwondo at the same club and I’ve made friends with a lot of men, women and children in Taekwondo who have most now seen me in a speedo. They don’t seem to care. Also one morning I went to the hot tub wearing a speedo and as I was getting in I realized that the two men in the tub were from my church. One of them a farmer down the road from me. They were both wearing long shorts and t shirts. It was awkward at first but since then I’ve seen them many times as I’ve been lap swimming. They’ve never commented on my various speedos though.

Texas_swimmer
United States of America

Post by Texas_swimmer » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:50 am

52dno98 wrote:So I had my lesson. The report:

We started the lesson poolside. I was dressed in trunks over my suit and a tee shirt; we had a little chitchat about my goals, where I am as a swimmer, etc. So it’s time for me to get in the pool so she can assess my stroke. Moment of truth. I took a deep breath and stripped down to my speedo and jumped in the pool.

I have to say in retrospect that the very first time I wore a speedo in public was much more intimidating. Now that I’ve been doing it for five years or whatever, it really wasn’t that big a deal. There was even another swimmer in a speedo (not a common occurrence at this pool). Now he happened to be in his 20’s and he was a former collegiate swimmer, so he absolutely destroyed me in comparison, but at least I wasn’t the odd man out. And as expected, she said nothing and there was zero awkwardness whatsoever.

With a body like that dont worry about wearing them!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Life is too short to worry what other people think.

chicagoswim

Post by chicagoswim » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:26 pm

52dno98 wrote:So I had my lesson. The report:

Wow, you look great!!

wearing what I want, where I want, when I want...no exceptions! ;-)