G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Is 2019 The Year Budgie Smugglers Become Socially Acceptable?

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

speedostud
Canada

Is 2019 The Year Budgie Smugglers Become Socially Acceptable?

Post by speedostud » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:21 am

VPL
United States of America

Re: Is 2019 The Year Budgie Smugglers Become Socially Acceptable?

Post by VPL » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:23 pm

speedostud wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:21 am
Some hopeful news...

https://www.gq.com.au/style/news/is-201 ... 2f851de37d
that is good news indeed!

ChicagoDan

Post by ChicagoDan » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:57 pm

Now if we can just get American men to wear speedos more.

BJE
United States of America

Post by BJE » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:47 pm

It’s amazing how if I post a speedo picture on a Facebook fitness page the people there will spew venomous hateful comments at it. I really don’t understand the speedo hatred. Especially since women in bikinis get hundreds of likes. However it’s knowing that people hate them that makes me want to wear them all the more since I’m not going to let haters tell me what I can and cannot wear.

blueflinch
Australia

Post by blueflinch » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:52 pm

BJE wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:47 pm
It’s amazing how if I post a speedo picture on a Facebook fitness page the people there will spew venomous hateful comments at it.
What do the other males posting pics on these Facebook fitness pages usually wear?

shadowmn
United States of America

Post by shadowmn » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:33 am

Why should we rely on media to tell us if speedos are back in style? We're the ones who will put speedos back on the map. I say we as speedo wearers should post "fake news" wherever we can stating that speedos are in for 2020. If we do that, rumors will spread and start a buzz. Also, wear your speedo everywhere!!
Just a straight guy that enjoys wearing speedos. Life is too short, enjoy wearing what you want.

Scottiebum
Great Britain

Post by Scottiebum » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:38 am

shadowmn wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:33 am
Why should we rely on media to tell us if speedos are back in style? We're the ones who will put speedos back on the map. I say we as speedo wearers should post "fake news" wherever we can stating that speedos are in for 2020. If we do that, rumors will spread and start a buzz. Also, wear your speedo everywhere!!
"Like!"
Straight
Scottish
Speedo

Papadoop
Great Britain

Post by Papadoop » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:06 pm

Lets hope so, i proudly wear mine get the odd negative look but mostly positive, females definately like them. Love wearing skimpy pairs as well such a turn on and you can tell by the body language of females it sets their eyes and imaginations racing

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:03 pm

Papadoop wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:06 pm
Lets hope so, i proudly wear mine get the odd negative look but mostly positive, females definately like them. Love wearing skimpy pairs as well such a turn on and you can tell by the body language of females it sets their eyes and imaginations racing
I've only got positive reactions from ladies, particularly young ones. I get smiles when I emerge from the surf. And I'm not exactly young.
Long time Speedo® lover

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:06 pm

BJE wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:47 pm
It’s amazing how if I post a speedo picture on a Facebook fitness page the people there will spew venomous hateful comments at it. I really don’t understand the speedo hatred. Especially since women in bikinis get hundreds of likes. However it’s knowing that people hate them that makes me want to wear them all the more since I’m not going to let haters tell me what I can and cannot wear.
Holy Cow! Who are these people!? Are these fitness pages primarily frequented by American men? I moved to Florida 20 years ago and for a short time used a now-gone Bally's gym that had a pool. At least a third of the male swimmers wore speedos. I don't recall any negativity.
Long time Speedo® lover

hawaiispeedo808

Post by hawaiispeedo808 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:20 pm

Distaste for smaller male swimwear is a social construction rooted in patriarchy and hyper masculinity. It's so prevalent that even some females are lead to observe odd double standards; some argue for body positivity while simultaneously reinforcing masculine gender norms on the male body. The ONLY way, as I've determined it, to undo this is to wear them and be unphased by all the ridicule. The more common it is seen, the more accepted it will become. Plus, I've found that there are a small majority of men who show distain for speedos and other skimpy swimwear on men, but who secretly desire to try them. Their distain is rooted in insecurity and seeing other men wear them may actually give them a sense of empowerment.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

swimsharkau
Australia

Post by swimsharkau » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:44 pm

Last week at my local pool I was surprised by how many people were wearing Speedos, and not for lap swimming.

There was a group of young guys wearing colourful Budgy Smugglers, a few dads with their kids, a lot of kids, some guys in their late 20s tanning on the lawn. It was as if Speedos had never left.

Unfortunately I didn't have mine with me, and was wearing a mid-thigh pair of shorts. Felt like a bit of a traitor.

blueflinch
Australia

Post by blueflinch » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:21 pm

hawaiispeedo808 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:20 pm
Distaste for smaller male swimwear is a social construction rooted in patriarchy and hyper masculinity. It's so prevalent that even some females are lead to observe odd double standards; some argue for body positivity while simultaneously reinforcing masculine gender norms on the male body.
I appreciate your analysis, Hawaii, and I think there's something in it. However, fashion trends do play a role too. From what I can gather, boardies became dominant in the 90s. Men worn quite little shorts in the 70s and early 80s. Maybe we're going back to smaller swimsuits for males overall, which will be nice. I don't know what made boardies big in the 90s - maybe the popularity of surf culture? Young people will always imitate their peers. Maybe baggy shorts have just had their moment?

Can't underestimate the influence of pop culture on what young people choose to wear ... It's always about conformity to group norms. At some point, short shorts became daggy. Maybe because everyone's dads were wearing them? :lol:

landoffrozensheep
Great Britain

Post by landoffrozensheep » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:02 pm

blueflinch wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:21 pm
hawaiispeedo808 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:20 pm
Distaste for smaller male swimwear is a social construction rooted in patriarchy and hyper masculinity. It's so prevalent that even some females are lead to observe odd double standards; some argue for body positivity while simultaneously reinforcing masculine gender norms on the male body.
I appreciate your analysis, Hawaii, and I think there's something in it. However, fashion trends do play a role too. From what I can gather, boardies became dominant in the 90s. Men worn quite little shorts in the 70s and early 80s. Maybe we're going back to smaller swimsuits for males overall, which will be nice. I don't know what made boardies big in the 90s - maybe the popularity of surf culture? Young people will always imitate their peers. Maybe baggy shorts have just had their moment?

Can't underestimate the influence of pop culture on what young people choose to wear ... It's always about conformity to group norms. At some point, short shorts became daggy. Maybe because everyone's dads were wearing them? :lol:
I disagree on patriarchy, more toxic matriarchal radical feminism that brands ALL men as predators or at least "potential" predators and a threat and danger to women and girls, said same people are heavily transphobic, particularly in the UK (see various SNP and Labour MPs and MSPs)

blueflinch
Australia

Post by blueflinch » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:32 pm

I have never made any link between men wearing speedos and men being sex predators. When a man wears speedos, isn't he the sex object? Which would make heterosexual women the predators! :lol:

swimmy

Post by swimmy » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:50 pm

Holy Cow! Who are these people!? Are these fitness pages primarily frequented by American men? I moved to Florida 20 years ago and for a short time used a now-gone Bally's gym that had a pool. At least a third of the male swimmers wore speedos. I don't recall any negativity.
[/quote]

Bingo. I've never heard, felt or known of any speedo negativity at any of the many, many pools I've used for my daily lap swim.
As I've said many times, I have no idea where this notion comes from.

landoffrozensheep
Great Britain

Post by landoffrozensheep » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:44 pm

blueflinch wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:32 pm
I have never made any link between men wearing speedos and men being sex predators. When a man wears speedos, isn't he the sex object? Which would make heterosexual women the predators! :lol:
You'd think that, however in the UK there is a growing and nasty thread (pushed by radical feminists) of "men are predators" men are to blame, men can't be trusted, men are all rapists, ALL men are a threat to women and girls to the extent a prostate cancer charity ran a billboard campaign recently stating "men are worth saving" "men matter" etc. Most women are not of this rad fem mindset thankfully, but the media ignore their views and promote the most extreme feminist voices, giving them regular columns to spout hatred and unfounded allegations unchallenged and unchecked.

An explanation of why this is:
<political BS>
UK is getting bad for it, when you see the comments in the newspapers by feminist writers, public comments by politicians (both male and female and generally from the Labour Party (who have a large number of transphobic and misdandric female MPs), "Liberal" Democrats" or the SNP (on the face all for equality, but have a large faction of virulently transphobic bigots, both male and female using their position to make bigoted statements, SNP are also pushing hard to make "misogyny" a crime, despite a review by a top judge (Lord Bracadale) rejecting their proposal and stating that there was no evidenced need for it, no agreed definition, that it flies against every other human rights piece of law that it would permit women to use anti male abuse with impunity but criminalise men for the same) calling for men to be banned from XYZ place,, women only buses/trains/workspaces, all female candidate shortlists, green MP even suggested an all female govt as "men are violent and aggressive and have caused all the problems we face" shot down by a conservative female MP who called her out as "Sexist" and "stereotyping in the extreme"

Newspapers constantly run stories about "creepy men" "male predators" "men trying to abduct children" "men grooming kids" "male perverts flaunting themselves in inappropriate attire" etc etc(their editorial lines haven't changed since the 50s it seems), headlines which have been going on for almost 30 years now and notably resulted in a toddler almost drowing as the kid was walking along a main road for a sizeable distance before falling into a river, countless men had seen him alone but all said they didn't want to get involved as they were concerned about being accused of "trying to abduct a child" "assault" or worse by the parents / police, kid was only saved as an off duty cop saw him fall in and pulled him out, usual vocal rad fems though made their usual anti male talking points and FUD in the press and any time stuff is raised in parliament about mens issues such as male suicide, fathers being unfairly banned from seeing their kids after divorce, unfair treatment in family courts etc etc etc, feminist female MPs have been caught on camera laughing, sniggering, ridiculing the issue, "but women face this so stop whining", accussing witnesses of lying, changing the subject to talk about women's issues (most notably during a debate on "international mens day" in a side hall, where several feminist MPs from Labour and SNP took opportunty to tie up as much time as possible to run down the clock to stymie proper discussion, international womens day however was held in the main chamber and issues were restricted to womens issues and MPs were respectful of the discussion), many of said same feminist MPs have resorted to aggressive transphobia, including inviting an Australian rad fem to parliament who accussed trans people (in parliament no less) of being "parasites" the kind of language that the Nazis used, thats how low they have stooped....yet when someone calls them on their BS, they instantly start screaming about "women being silenced again" "womens views being ignored" "being unfairly deplatformed", "silenced for telling the "truth"" (the kind of responses a certain US conspiracy theorist resorts to when faced with criticism)

I count myself as Centre to centre left in political terms, but the rampant transphobia, misandry etc from UK leftwing and centrist political parties has left me utterly disillusioned with politics and looking to the future with trepidation....I'm a strong believer that everyone is equal, people say that makes you a feminist, no that makes me an equalist or a humanist, particularly with the increasing acceptance of aggressive transphobia in UK feminist movements (the deep rooted transphobia has even been commented on by various newspapers around the world, noting its out of sync with other feminist movements in other countries and has strong colonial links, given the most vocal UK feminist transphobic bigots are white, female and come from very well heeled families)

</political BS>
Didn't mean for that to get so in depth, apologies, just needed to get that off my chest.....

blueflinch
Australia

Post by blueflinch » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:54 pm

I'm sure there are one or two male "creeps" floating about. (Though usually this just means some socially awkward teenage boy who stares too long at some girls on the train). :lol:

I don't have any issue with female-only workplaces. Sounds like a great idea. Means I don't have to talk to 'em! :mrgreen:

It is ironic, though, that extremely safe and prosperous countries, such as the UK, is where the extreme versions of feminism seem to enjoy the greatest currency. I guess when people are well-off, they have to invent problems. :lol:

landoffrozensheep
Great Britain

Post by landoffrozensheep » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:48 pm

blueflinch wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:54 pm
I'm sure there are one or two male "creeps" floating about. (Though usually this just means some socially awkward teenage boy who stares too long at some girls on the train). :lol:

I don't have any issue with female-only workplaces. Sounds like a great idea. Means I don't have to talk to 'em! :mrgreen:

It is ironic, though, that extremely safe and prosperous countries, such as the UK, is where the extreme versions of feminism seem to enjoy the greatest currency. I guess when people are well-off, they have to invent problems. :lol:
I'd agree, there can be issues, but the west is doing ok for fairness, just a shame that most women are ignored in favour of shrill voices...suppose shrill voices sell papers....

blueflinch
Australia

Post by blueflinch » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:22 pm

landoffrozensheep wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:48 pm
I'd agree, there can be issues, but the west is doing ok for fairness, just a shame that most women are ignored in favour of shrill voices...suppose shrill voices sell papers....
Yup, controversy sells. :roll: :lol: