G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

I'm starting my own swimwear brand. Would love your expert help choosing a design

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

danp142
Great Britain

I'm starting my own swimwear brand. Would love your expert help choosing a design

Post by danp142 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:36 pm

As a fellow lover of swimwear myself I recently began the process of starting up my own swimwear brand and my first product will be swim briefs (speedos), with some pop art prints.

I already have two slightly different designs ready as you can see from the above image. Would be great to get your opinions

Some questions I have for you speedo lovers:

1. Which of the above designs (shape/fit) do you prefer?

2. Do you prefer the lighter colour or the more bold colour?

3. Do you prefer your speedos to look as good as possible at the expense of comfort, or vis versa?

4. What's the average you pay for your speedos?

And yes that's me modelling 8)

aznspeedoboy
United States of America

Re: I'm starting my own swimwear brand. Would love your expert help choosing a design

Post by aznspeedoboy » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:36 pm

Looking good and love this, keep us updated!

1. I like the fit of the suit on the left more! I think the bum looks more "streamlined" if that makes sense.
2. Slightly prefer the lighter color more
3. I prefer a balance between comfort and looking good (for instance, I don't want to worry about my speedo slipping off in the pool even if it has a cool design).
4. I think I pay on average $30 USD? For context, I buy relatively cheaper suits off of Amazon, while also buying name-brand briefs from Speedo, Aussiebum, etc.
20-something year old asian boy who loves speedos. 8)

Mazda3mps
Australia

Re: I'm starting my own swimwear brand. Would love your expert help choosing a design

Post by Mazda3mps » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:58 pm

1. Prefer the fit of the left hand pair as it cuts higher on the cheeks (I have a flatter bum)

2. No preference of light or dark colours. Although I do reach for the standard black and navy’s

3. I think speedos definitely about the fit. Haven’t come across a pair that’s not comfy, usually those that sit too high are uncomfortable

4. Average maybe 30-40AUD?

Scottiebum
Great Britain

Post by Scottiebum » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:47 am

Well done!

Left one for me (even a touch lower on the hips?)
Not so sure about the patterns, don't mind bold colours but generally buy solid colours.
Fit is 90% for me, I would not buy expensive ones but must but be comfortable and well fitting. Don't want them slipping off, losing something out a leg hole or constantly adjusting!
Unfortunately I tend to buy cheaper suits off ebay or old stocks.
Straight
Scottish
Speedo

danp142
Great Britain

Post by danp142 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:42 am

Essentially the left option is better looking (IMO), smaller and more revealing, however it's pretty tight around the crotch, so you might find yourself readjusting every now and then. The second option is larger and wears more like underwear, with a lot more space for your nuts, but they are less flattering on the ass.

So I'm wondering what the balance between comfort and looking good it. From what I can tell most brands go for the latter.

Aircat
Australia

Post by Aircat » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:54 pm

I think the sides are too wide on both

Speedeau
Canada

Post by Speedeau » Sat May 01, 2021 2:46 pm

1) Definitely prefer the left cut. I prefer showing a bit of cheek than having just too much fabric on the back.
2) I prefer bold colours and am not a fan of funky designs. Might want to include some plain colours within your collection or with more subtil patterns (for example I am not a fan of the design on your pictures).
3)I like good look with good confort. For me the principal source of discomfort is when a speedo is too tight around the leg opening or when there is just not stretch in the fabric (like turbo, I find them less comfortable).
4) 30$US

Good luck with your brand and keep us informed! You might have a couple of future customers here!

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Sun May 02, 2021 5:01 am

👋🏻
Last edited by Speedoaddict on Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Love speedos, running shorts, rugby shorts, Aussie rules footy shorts.

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Sun May 02, 2021 5:45 am

danp142 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:36 pm

As a fellow lover of swimwear myself I recently began the process of starting up my own swimwear brand and my first product will be swim briefs (speedos), with some pop art prints.

I already have two slightly different designs ready as you can see from the above image. Would be great to get your opinions

3. Do you prefer your speedos to look as good as possible at the expense of comfort, or vis versa?

Definitely prefer the suit on the left.

I go for more basic solid colors (navy/black/maroon) with an occasional print, however either color/print you show here would work in a specialty market, which is what you have to aim for since there are a zillion basic suits out there. I'm surprised so many companies can stay in business, to be honest. I think many of the smaller companies survive by selling underwear lines as well as swimwear.

I do sacrifice some comfort to keep the suit tight for swimming. I just don't like anything too loose.

I probably spend an average of US$25. I buy on sale on the lower side and will spend more for a print or name brand that I really like at the higher end, so the range is probably from US$15 to US$50. I recently bought a Budgy Smuggler at the high end of the range--plus postage.

Wish you all best in your endeavors. 8) It's a highly competitive business. A member here started a suit/underwear business with his partner. I see they're selling on Amazon now, as well as their own web site. Their price point for speedos is US$25 to US$30 or so. This is their site. https://marisequi.com/ They were thinking of moving their base of operations to Miami. Don't know if they did.
Long time Speedo® lover

Georgeoz

Post by Georgeoz » Fri May 07, 2021 2:52 pm

Left example preferred. Like the colourful designs.

Mountainman
New Zealand

Post by Mountainman » Mon May 10, 2021 3:11 pm

Hi, good luck
I prefer the left pics.
I like frontal pouch with enough room not to squash the tackle but allow enhancement.
You need to provide a point of difference from other brands, material, colour , pattern, cut, etc
Also give people a reason to buy??

danp142
Great Britain

Post by danp142 » Tue May 11, 2021 3:25 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. Seems like the left one is the preferred design. However I think I'll have to make it a bit bigger as a I have quite a small bum, the same design may not look flattering on others.

I have a to say I agree, however this design is less comfortable to wear. I am aiming this at the beach crowd rather than sports so maybe that's ok.

To reply to some - I think I'm going to avoid plain, bold colours as there are so many out there. I want to differentiate from the competitions with the pastal colors and print designs. I also want to market to a more diverse crowd and keep it cheeky instead of overtly sexual.

As for price, I was going to target around £25, however I've decided to charge a bit more and use better materials and unique packaging.

I'll keep you all updated as I progress but feel free to keep replying to this post as all opinions help.

danp142
Great Britain

Post by danp142 » Tue May 11, 2021 3:29 pm

Thom wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 5:45 am
danp142 wrote:

Definitely prefer the suit on the left.

I go for more basic solid colors (navy/black/maroon) with an occasional print, however either color/print you show here would work in a specialty market, which is what you have to aim for since there are a zillion basic suits out there. I'm surprised so many companies can stay in business, to be honest. I think many of the smaller companies survive by selling underwear lines as well as swimwear.

I do sacrifice some comfort to keep the suit tight for swimming. I just don't like anything too loose.

I probably spend an average of US$25. I buy on sale on the lower side and will spend more for a print or name brand that I really like at the higher end, so the range is probably from US$15 to US$50. I recently bought a Budgy Smuggler at the high end of the range--plus postage.

Wish you all best in your endeavors. 8) It's a highly competitive business. A member here started a suit/underwear business with his partner. I see they're selling on Amazon now, as well as their own web site. Their price point for speedos is US$25 to US$30 or so. This is their site. https://marisequi.com/ They were thinking of moving their base of operations to Miami. Don't know if they did.
Thanks for showing me the site. They have a good collection. However I recognize some of these from Alibaba, so they aren't custom designs like mine (apart from the logo of course). I've considered doing this too but I'd like to use my own colours and patterns which is more expansive.

Speedeau
Canada

Post by Speedeau » Wed May 12, 2021 4:23 pm

danp142 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 3:25 pm
Thanks for the replies guys. Seems like the left one is the preferred design. However I think I'll have to make it a bit bigger as a I have quite a small bum, the same design may not look flattering on others.

I have a to say I agree, however this design is less comfortable to wear. I am aiming this at the beach crowd rather than sports so maybe that's ok.

To reply to some - I think I'm going to avoid plain, bold colours as there are so many out there. I want to differentiate from the competitions with the pastal colors and print designs. I also want to market to a more diverse crowd and keep it cheeky instead of overtly sexual.

As for price, I was going to target around £25, however I've decided to charge a bit more and use better materials and unique packaging.

I'll keep you all updated as I progress but feel free to keep replying to this post as all opinions help.

I volonteer to try you left model ;) if you want to see how it looks on different butt size!

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Sun May 16, 2021 9:44 am

danp142 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 3:29 pm

Thanks for showing me the site. They have a good collection. However I recognize some of these from Alibaba, so they aren't custom designs like mine (apart from the logo of course). I've considered doing this too but I'd like to use my own colours and patterns which is more expansive.
All success in whatever you do. It's a competitive market.

Tom
Long time Speedo® lover

mattji01
Australia

Post by mattji01 » Tue May 18, 2021 11:53 pm

I prefer the shape of the first pair as they sit lower at the front, although I think they could do with a bit more fabric in the rear to cup your cheeks, like on the second pair. Colour wise I prefer the darker pair and I like the draw string on the outside: casual wear and an invitation to play.

It’s good to know your target audience, but you would be surprised how many professionals go for the bright colours, like the Australian Swim team who train in Funky Trunks and rugby plays who wear Budgie Smugglers when standing in the sea as a therapeutic activity. (maybe that’s just an Australian thing – lucky me).

Having a point of difference is definitely a necessity. Have you thought of using more than one colour/pattern on one suit or panelling rather than flat at the front and back, maybe structure the shape to give more definition ?

Comfort; yes they should feel nice to wear and definitely not look like that old trusty pair of underwear, but sometimes you must suffer a little for your credibility. Your left pair looks like it gives more support to your package, which I like the feel of, rather than a big sag you sometimes get.

The workmanship looks good, so you know what you are doing. Good luck.

lucas-in-speedos31
Malaysia

Post by lucas-in-speedos31 » Thu May 20, 2021 5:50 pm

Prefer the one on the right.

Bold colour

At least 50/50

20 dollars to 50 dollars

I prefer to have strong and plain colours. But there is an opportunity now to create the old nylon style that aussiebum used to sell. You can check out the sewing patterns on Etsy. Good luck on your endeavor.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/642307819/ ... _organic=1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/628037418/ ... _organic=1

...:::sam:::...
Australia

Post by ...:::sam:::... » Sat May 22, 2021 10:03 pm

danp142 wrote:

I prefer the cut on the right, the butt coverage just looks masculine, where the left look feminine. I'm not sold on the high cut which is also feminine, I like a low cut a lot better with a narrower side of about 50mm. Drawstring on the inside though, even if the cords are left out.

Both colours are good, I think you would sell more of the darker to men.

I think you can make speedos comfortable and look good at the same time. I think the material makes a big difference there, but I would compromise some comfort for them to look perfect.

I normally pay up to about $60 in Australia for speedo type.

T88

Post by T88 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:19 am

Left hand design for me.
Colour/print wise i prefer a subtle style tbh, but i do like the bright colours, i’d love an in your face blue (bmw done a good blue on the 2006 3 series but sadly they dont make trunks 😂)

PaulS33
France

Post by PaulS33 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:16 am

Left cut but right bold color. I like patterns with stripes in different colours. Prices around 30 euros.

Envoyé de mon Nexus 7 en utilisant Tapatalk