G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Does anyone else see speedos and the interests in such as non-sexual?

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

trance399
Canada

Does anyone else see speedos and the interests in such as non-sexual?

Post by trance399 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:11 pm

I mean, it's just clothing or swimwear. I guess context and/or the people you're around matters. But I feel like for swim briefs or speedos to be more mainstream, it needs to rid itself of the negative (perhaps sexual) connotation.

These types of boards are quite sexualized. And I definitely see how some people (especially in the right setting) can view it this way. Especially considering the type of viewer base internet boards like these typically attract. However, I believe it also attracts people that see it as largely non-sexual and a simple preference on what to wear while swimming or at the beach.

It's definitely a complicated issue and not one-dimensional, because people enjoy speedos for a multitude of reasons and rightly so. It also comes down to cultural aspects and ease of swimming throughout the water.

Thongs are also interesting (swimwear or underwear) and I don't see thongs alone as sexual either. But it often does carry the same sexual ideation regardless of setting, it seems.

My argument is that for speedos to be perceived as a more viable option for many people and to gain widespread acceptance, it needs to rid itself of the negative characteristics that people blindly apply to it. It's not an easy task.
🎶

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Re: Does anyone else see speedos and the interests in such as non-sexual?

Post by Speedoaddict » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:50 am

I see Speedos in a sexual and non-sexual way. I have 2-3 pairs I keep for when I want to be in the mood shall we say, then I have Speedos to wear under my shorts for doing gardening, swimming / gym (when I could go), holiday, sunbathing. When wearing them for the more normal aspects of wearing them I suppose you could say I rarely think about them in a sexual way because I am wearing them for comfort and practicality.
Sexually as I said I probably have 2-3 pairs I wear to get sexually aroused and to have a bit of fun in. I think as you said because of this, the way the LGBTQ+ community has seemed to have made the speedo there own “uniform” by society that you have the stigma of “he wears a speedo so he is gay”. This is a generalisation not just how straight men and women think, but also to some extents gay men probably think too. I for one am as guilty for this train of thought as everyone one else. But in the topic on the forum of Your Speedo Circle this has disproved this view somewhat with members, there family and friends who know they wear speedos, then this has become the norm and they are used to seeing them in their favourite style of swimwear. A couple of countries where the view Speedos = gay are the USA and the UK. I have been swimming taken of my swim shorts to reveal my speedo underneath and have got some strange looks from people. Now I don’t know wether that was because I had Speedos under my swim shorts or the that they think I am gay.
It really is a shame that Speedos have this stigma surrounding them, but I am a great believer that they are coming back into fashion, on the beaches of Europe they never went out of fashion.
For me tho I am not really bothered what other people think of Speedos. I love them and probably always will. The only thing that stops me wearing them in public is me, my thoughts in my head, not what others thinks, it’s what I am thinking. When I see a man in a nice pair of Speedos now I think firstly - I like those trunks, secondly - he looks amazing in them, thirdly - fair play to you.
So to everyone gay, straight, bi, trans who wear a speedo then fair play to you, let people think what they think. It isn’t going to stop you wearing you speedo for what ever reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Love speedos, running shorts, rugby shorts, Aussie rules footy shorts.

52dno98
United States of America

Post by 52dno98 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:27 pm

Speaking as an American, we're prudes (our country was founded by Puritans, of course!). Speedos and thongs facilitate conspicuous displays of your genitals and your ass, respectively. Any time any person brings attention to their body by what they're wearing, it's viewed as sexual- at least in the U.S.

It's better (so the thinking seems to go) to wear baggy, loose-fitting garments and hide everything under cloth, so as not to attract unwanted attention- especially when it comes to your genitals or buttocks.

That's my take, anyway.

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:13 pm

52dno98 wrote:Speaking as an American, we're prudes (our country was founded by Puritans, of course!). Speedos and thongs facilitate conspicuous displays of your genitals and your ass, respectively. Any time any person brings attention to their body by what they're wearing, it's viewed as sexual- at least in the U.S.

It's better (so the thinking seems to go) to wear baggy, loose-fitting garments and hide everything under cloth, so as not to attract unwanted attention- especially when it comes to your genitals or buttocks.

That's my take, anyway.
That’s the impression I have always got from posts on twitter, Instagram, and TikTok. But I have noticed a trend of American men (gay and straight) wearing shorter shorts, wether they are at home, gym, or beach, the shorts seem to be getting shorter. For me that is a move in the right direction.

Here in the UK it still seems from what I have seen the long shorts are here for a while yet.

But as soon as I am able to I want to head to the south of France and only pack Speedos. Not for anything sexual, but to relax by a pool and wear them because that’s what everyone else is wearing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Love speedos, running shorts, rugby shorts, Aussie rules footy shorts.

Boston John
United States of America

Post by Boston John » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:39 pm

I understand what you're saying, people will sexualize anything, especially speedos, and speedos get a bad rap. Why is that?

I'm a straight male, I wear speedos and don't care if you don't approve of my attire. I don't sexualize what I'm wearing, I'm middled aged, typical spare tire in the middle, but I'm comfortable and that is what matters to me.

These boards are quite sexual in a way and I can understand the board will draw an audience that is looking for the titilation. However, even though this happens, I can still look at it and not be offended, as I like to look at the different styles and try to envision myself wearing what the photo shows.

I get surprised when I'm out and see another male in a speedo, to me it shows confidence to wear it, and the wearer doing something that makes him feel good.

I wear mine for several reasons, the snug fit keeps everything in place, ease of swimming with less drag than board shorts, fabric dries very quick when exiting the water, and all speedos are not the same, many different styles to choose from, from the traditional to some with only a 1/4 inch waistband.

trance399
Canada

Post by trance399 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:00 pm

Good conversation so far. I agree with what everyone has said.
🎶

Scottiebum
Great Britain

Post by Scottiebum » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:53 pm

I generally do not view them in a sexual way. Although with something as small covering your privates tightly it is always going to have a sexual element to it.

They do have a gay aspect to them, but as always it depend on the wearer. I am sure I do not give off a gay vibe and that has never been levelled at me.
Straight
Scottish
Speedo

...:::sam:::...
Australia

Post by ...:::sam:::... » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:10 am

I think how this forum generally sees speedos is not how the rest of the world see's speedos, well at least in Australia. Its a pretty specific cross section of the speedo wearing community on here.

In Australia, speedos is what swimmers wear, those and jammers. They're just what is worn and there isn't really a lot more thought to it than that. If you're in speedos, you are there to swim... or old. If you are in jammers you are there to do whatever you like and if you're in boardies then you're there to play and just have fun. I really don't think there is any other connotation. Actually Budgy Smuggler brand has a really growing following with some pretty good marketing and they go a long way to making speedos cool amongst everyone. Some think they're sexy, some thing they show too much information but despite being sexy, I think the vast majority don't sexualise them.

But there are speedos and there are speedos. You wear regular ones and probably very little, if anything, is thought about them. The set with all of the non-regular features like ball lifters, string sides, a cock ring underneath etc, then of course people will naturally make interpretations based on what they see.

swimmy

Post by swimmy » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:14 am

Competition swim briefs are the uniform of swimmers. Their purpose is not gay related.
The problem is that word speedo. It's been misused way too much.

BriefExcursion20
United States of America

Post by BriefExcursion20 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:43 pm

The way I see it, speedos are just a comfortable (if not liberating) way to sun and swim. Sure, there's a bit of a "sexy" element to them, though it's really no more than what you'd get from a regular girl's bikini swimsuit. And hey, if it's okay for the ladies to wear near-thong-style bottoms on the beach, why can't the guys have some fun too?

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:07 pm

BriefExcursion20 wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:43 pm
The way I see it, speedos are just a comfortable (if not liberating) way to sun and swim. Sure, there's a bit of a "sexy" element to them, though it's really no more than what you'd get from a regular girl's bikini swimsuit. And hey, if it's okay for the ladies to wear near-thong-style bottoms on the beach, why can't the guys have some fun too?
You've found the key word: "fun." When I wear them to do laps, they're just practical. At the beach, though, as you observe, they're fun. I just feel happy wearing them. Sure, there's an element of sexiness about them. But other things we wear are like that. Actually, I feel sexier wearing skinny jeans. I'm glad they're back in style. I loved them when I was in college. The new ones fit better. They ride lower. And I still wear a size 30" waist.
Long time Speedo® lover

whoami

Post by whoami » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:56 am

I didn’t grow up in the US. I moved to the US 10+ years ago, and here’s my take. In most other countries outside US, I would say people see speedo as non-sexual. It’s just a piece of clothing for men to swim. As Speedo wearing is suppressed in America for probably sexual reasons, Americans can hardly view speedos non-sexual. For example, some Americans would complain that men shouldn’t wear speedos with kids around while women are fine to wear cheeky bottoms with kids around. I would say Small kids can’t actually care less what others are wearing; older kids already learned everything. moreover, I found in adult swimming lessons, those students also wear board shorts. I have no idea how they can learn swimming efficiently that way.

Anyway, since Americans started to make board shorts popular, people that follow American culture in other countries tend to catch the trend although they don’t feel comfortable in them.

speedostud
Canada

Post by speedostud » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:20 pm

It’s a good question. Before I moved to Australia, I was prudish about them and associated them with being kinky… just my experience in a small town. I now see them as a piece of sports gear… but they do turn me on and always will.

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:15 pm

speedostud wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:20 pm
It’s a good question. Before I moved to Australia, I was prudish about them and associated them with being kinky… just my experience in a small town. I now see them as a piece of sports gear… but they do turn me on and always will.
Interesting your observations about the two countries. From my Aussie friends, I've learned that there, they're just swimming kit. That's the way it was when I was a kid, a half century ago in the U.S. When I visited Fort Lauderdale in the early 90s, there were plenty on the beach even then.
Long time Speedo® lover

Norfcountryboy
Great Britain

Post by Norfcountryboy » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:04 am

Speedos get me horny. A lot of the time. But, they aren't sexy to me constantly; sometimes even Speedo's can be off duty!

As other's have said context is decisive. Often for me this is who is wearing them. Two males, even with similar physiques can wear the same brand, model, size, colour and cut but have a very different impact.
Real men wear Speedo's

Asics87T
Australia

Post by Asics87T » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:57 pm

Personally if I see someone in a speedo swimming I don't see it as a sexual thing, only a swimmer choosing to wear a choice of attire for their activity.