G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Wearing Speedos for Casual Swimming

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

52dno98
United States of America

Wearing Speedos for Casual Swimming

Post by 52dno98 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:47 am

Hey gang,

I'm pretty used to wearing speedos for lap swimming, where I can at least claim that speedos are better suited for exercise than, say, jammers- and certainly better than shorts.

But lately as we emerge from lockdown, I've been taking my 6 year old son to swim in the local gym's pool in the evenings- it's an outdoor pool that they've covered with a plastic bubble- and given that there are often so few people there, I've been seriously considering just saying "eff it" and wearing a speedo. My son is autistic so he wouldn't care a bit what I wore, but where I live (southeast US- a very conservative part of the country) almost no one wears speedos for lap swimming, much less for a father and his young kid just splashing around in the shallow end of the pool. I'd certainly be seen as "weird speedo guy" by the other patrons of the pool and the lifeguards.

What do you guys think? Go for it anyway?

Scottiebum
Great Britain

Re: Wearing Speedos for Casual Swimming

Post by Scottiebum » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:13 pm

I cannot answer for you in your situation but I always wear speedos even messing about in small hotel leisure pools etc
Straight
Scottish
Speedo

Red^^Speedo
United States of America

Post by Red^^Speedo » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:12 am

Wear your Speedos.

Speedotommy
Great Britain

Post by Speedotommy » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:02 pm

52dno98 wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:47 am
Hey gang,

I'm pretty used to wearing speedos for lap swimming, where I can at least claim that speedos are better suited for exercise than, say, jammers- and certainly better than shorts.

But lately as we emerge from lockdown, I've been taking my 6 year old son to swim in the local gym's pool in the evenings- it's an outdoor pool that they've covered with a plastic bubble- and given that there are often so few people there, I've been seriously considering just saying "eff it" and wearing a speedo. My son is autistic so he wouldn't care a bit what I wore, but where I live (southeast US- a very conservative part of the country) almost no one wears speedos for lap swimming, much less for a father and his young kid just splashing around in the shallow end of the pool. I'd certainly be seen as "weird speedo guy" by the other patrons of the pool and the lifeguards.

I'd wear speedos. Who cares what they think! They're practical, look amazing and are for SWIMMING.
Single gay guy, almost always horny, living my best life! 8) Speedoing it up whenever I can

clem
United States of America

Post by clem » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:38 pm

I don't think it's a big deal. "Oh, a swimmer guy with his kid."

packedspeedo
United States of America

Post by packedspeedo » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:50 pm

I agree, it is a weird feeling. I'm also in conservative Southeast US. And the few times I've bumped into someone I know at my gym, I freak out that they will see me and judge me. Like George Costanza said, the two worlds can't collide.

londondan
Great Britain

Post by londondan » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:51 am

I'd say as long as you are in a country where speedos are worn by lap swimmers then there should be no reason why you shouldn't wear them in all other pools regardless of venue. I very much doubt the venue or other guests would object. It comes down to how comfortable you feel wearing them.

Once you've worn them a few times and gotten over the initial uneasiness in that setting I'm sure you'll never look back!

beachg0y
United States of America

Post by beachg0y » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:33 am

I've worn bikini trunks to the beach when in charge of my nephews, to the family swimming pool. Friends, family and strangers think and behave no differently than if I were conforming to perceived "requirements" by wearing dork shorts. A few times people have become quite chatty.
Wear what you like, man. You'll be seen and respected as the man and dad that you are, one who loves and spends time with his son who's on the spectrum.
Southeast US as well here.
Last edited by beachg0y on Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

rockman748

Post by rockman748 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:07 am

It really comes down to whether you care if someone you know sees you in one. That’s really the root of the problem. If all your friends/co-workers know that you’re a swimmer then you probably don’t care. If they don’t, then perhaps you feel you’ll need to justify to them about why you’re doing it. I’ll say I’m in the southeast and the great part of it being conservative is that most people are of the opinion “do whatever you want, because it doesn’t effect the way that I’m living my life.”

Needless to say you could wear one whenever you’re with your kid and if anyone says anything you can come up with an excuse like “it’s less laundry to do, and I only need to pack one pool bag whether I’m lap swimming or playing with my kid.”
Just a straight guy who likes speedos and aussiebums

_su_
United States of America

Post by _su_ » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:12 am

I'm in the southeast too. Go for it.

Scottiebum
Great Britain

Post by Scottiebum » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:24 pm

A lot is to do with attitude, if you own it and don't look uncomfortable then there is less chance anyone will comment.
Straight
Scottish
Speedo

MrMusik
United States of America

Post by MrMusik » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:20 am

Scottiebum wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:24 pm
A lot is to do with attitude, if you own it and don't look uncomfortable then there is less chance anyone will comment.
This is the key. Own it, be confident. Just get out there.

If anyone says anything to you, which they often will not, kindly inform them that you are wearing comfortable swimwear that is made for swimming. Though do it nicely and with a smile on your face. Generally, if you are working with your child, no one will say or do anything.

Ceolona
United States of America

Post by Ceolona » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:40 am

I say fuck ‘em. Go for it. BUT…. keep it boring. :)

Stick with a competition brand (Speedo, Arena, etc) with a flat front and 3-4” (7-10cm) hip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:10 pm

52dno98 wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:47 am
Hey gang,

I agree with Clem above. They'll think it's a swimmer guy and his son. Your son is lucky to have a great dad.

Tom
Long time Speedo® lover

shadowmn
United States of America

Post by shadowmn » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:20 am

Obviously just about everyone in this forum will tell you to wear your speedo. I really don’t think there’s any reason not to wear it. Brief suits are made for swimming even if you’re just playing with your kid in the pool. You swim laps and it’s the kind of swimwear you’re used to wearing. I doubt you’d have an issue wearing it there. Be confident and own it that you are a speedo wearer. The truth shall set you free.
Just a straight guy that enjoys wearing speedos. Life is too short, enjoy wearing what you want.

52dno98
United States of America

Post by 52dno98 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:53 am

shadowmn wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:20 am
Obviously just about everyone in this forum will tell you to wear your speedo.
Ha ha, yeah, we're in kind of a preaching to the choir situation...

52dno98
United States of America

Post by 52dno98 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:12 pm

Giving this thread a bump because I had a great experience today.

I was off from work this afternoon and my 6 year old son was home from his summer camp program, so we went to our local YMCA pool. There were probably about fifteen or so kids swimming as part of the local Y’s summer camp, including a couple my son recognized from his school. Other than a couple of lifeguards- late teen girls- and a couple of camp counselors- college age or mid 20’s girls- the pool was pretty empty. So my son jumped in with his friends, and was swimming around with them, and he seemed preoccupied, so I dropped my shorts and jumped in a lane. I swam just a couple of laps before I stopped and asked him if it was ok if I swam laps, and he said he’d rather just splash around in the pool with me.

So we did. For at least an hour. The kids left after a while, so my son and I were basically alone except for one or two people swimming laps, but it was amazing to just paddle around and play and goof off in the pool in just a speedo. He and I swim casually a lot, as I said in my post above, but I’m always in shorts.

At one point I said to him, “I’d planned to swim laps, but if want me to swim with you, I guess I should put my shorts back on,” and he said, “no, you should just keep your speedo on.” At some point, of course, he’s going to grow old enough that he’ll no doubt be embarrassed by me, but for now, I’m going to soak in his total acceptance of me and my quirks while I can.

It was a great day.

ReservedEnthusiast
Italy

Post by ReservedEnthusiast » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:14 am

Ceolona wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:40 am
I say fuck ‘em. Go for it. BUT…. keep it boring. :)

Stick with a competition brand (Speedo, Arena, etc) with a flat front and 3-4” (7-10cm) hip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great bonding moment, 52dno98! And I’m gonna say ditto to Ceolona here. People care less and less these days, and if they do it’s probably an inconsequential amount that doesn’t surpass a personal preference. But keeping it a mainstream brand will help keep it innocent. Would I show up to my local family gym in an Arena or a Jaked? Absolutely. But an Andrew Christian or Pump! or Timoteo? Eeeehhhhhh probably not haha

redgrowlers
Germany

Post by redgrowlers » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:17 pm

I am another way round. Casual swimming or just hanging around at poolside or beach then of course in Speedos! For some serious laps I'd switch to jammers from time to time

52dno98
United States of America

Post by 52dno98 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:25 am

redgrowlers wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:17 pm
I am another way round. Casual swimming or just hanging around at poolside or beach then of course in Speedos! For some serious laps I'd switch to jammers from time to time
I feel like I have a better feel of where my legs are in the water in speedos than in jammers... I like the feel of water on my thighs when I'm swimming laps.