G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Summer 2022 Fitness / Swimming Goals in motion yet?

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

rmf

Summer 2022 Fitness / Swimming Goals in motion yet?

Post by rmf » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:53 am

Starting a new thread here...

Summer 2022 is just around the corner for those of us North (of the equator)... has anyone put their 2022 fitness goals in motion yet?

For me, my winter sport activities will be wrapping up here in a few weeks. I'm signed up for a Spring Masters class which will start in a week or so. I find that if I wait until it's warm outside, I don't reach the point where I want to be (endurance & fit) until Sept. Spring Masters should help me switch gears (mentally) and prepare myself summer which is normally dominated by a lot of swimming & working out at the pool.

If anyone is thinking they want to incorporate more swimming into the fitness, I highly encourage you to consider doing Masters swim. For those who may not be familiar with Masters, don't' be intimidated by the name. it's basically a coached swim program that is focused and helps you build strength and endurance. It gives you better and faster results than just swimming (monotonous) laps at a pool. Best of all, you don't have to be a good swimmer. There are normally at least 2 lanes for the class - one for the fast swimmers and one for slow swimmers.

Open to hear what others are doing...
straight, married w/ kids.

52dno98
United States of America

Re: Summer 2022 Fitness / Swimming Goals in motion yet?

Post by 52dno98 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:39 am

I would point out that there's organized Masters swimming (governed by USMS here in the USA), and there might be a group at your pool calling themselves a Masters group, but who aren't an official USMS (or whatever for your country) club.

I've belonged to a number of different gyms in my city, and none of them has an official USMS club, with dues, a coach, etc. Instead, it's usually just a bunch of former high school or collegiate swimmers who simply meet to swim laps together. It's been my experience that those groups are typically welcoming enough, but the coaching is pretty minimal- you're expected to already know how to swim your strokes and you just show up to do a bunch of sets that one of the club members has put together.

Just be aware of what you're getting into.

SammyKyoupan
Japan

Post by SammyKyoupan » Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:03 pm

Nice topic! I guess I'm lucky being in Thailand this year because I can swim year around. I swim 6 days a week (in the pool 3 days a week and in the sea 3 days a week). Around 2,000 meters per day (T,Th, Sa) in the sea with one minute sprints every five minutes or so. In the pool (M,W,F), 2,000 meters daily (80 x 25M) with mix of anaerobic and aerobic with sprints.

Just for fun and to stay fit. Not like swim team days of 10 workouts per week with total of 50,000-70,000 meters weekly...YADA!!! No Thank You! LOL. My goal now is just to stay fit, not win any medals (not that I ever did win many).

SammyKyoupan
Japan

Post by SammyKyoupan » Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:15 pm

52dno98 wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:39 am
I would point out that there's organized Masters swimming (governed by USMS here in the USA), and there might be a group at your pool calling themselves a Masters group, but who aren't an official USMS (or whatever for your country) club.

I've belonged to a number of different gyms in my city, and none of them has an official USMS club, with dues, a coach, etc. Instead, it's usually just a bunch of former high school or collegiate swimmers who simply meet to swim laps together. It's been my experience that those groups are typically welcoming enough, but the coaching is pretty minimal- you're expected to already know how to swim your strokes and you just show up to do a bunch of sets that one of the club members has put together.

I guess you make a good point if you still have the spirit for competition, but for most, fitness goals are more important once you're out of your teens, and it takes a lot of willpower to get in a good workouts every day on your own, so anything that allows you to swim with others is a good thing whether or not it includes good coaching...just my own opinion of course.

rmf

Post by rmf » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:34 am

SammyKyoupan wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:03 pm
Nice topic! I guess I'm lucky being in Thailand this year because I can swim year around. I swim 6 days a week (in the pool 3 days a week and in the sea 3 days a week). Around 2,000 meters per day (T,Th, Sa) in the sea with one minute sprints every five minutes or so. In the pool (M,W,F), 2,000 meters daily (80 x 25M) with mix of anaerobic and aerobic with sprints.

Just for fun and to stay fit. Not like swim team days of 10 workouts per week with total of 50,000-70,000 meters weekly...YADA!!! No Thank You! LOL. My goal now is just to stay fit, not win any medals (not that I ever did win many).
Wow, Good for you. Your M,W,F is impressive enough - adding Open Water (Sea) does even more to your overall impact.

It's hard for me to keep my once/twice a week (2-2.5Km)routine (especially during the winter). Summer I do a little better since I have a membership to an outdoor pool with the family & we are there a lot for both the pool and socializing. The only open water we have near by is lakes and unfortunately, those often are too gross to swim in from green algae bloom by mid summer.

rmf

Post by rmf » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:55 am

52dno98 wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:39 am

Yea, I have done both. Most of the classes I took are by certified coaches but not all. I also have found there are good coaches who are willing to help and coaches that are there just to oversee a workout. I also have taken swim/stroke clinics for triathletes and those have been more helpful even though I don't do triathlons. It's always fun to see these hardcore triathletes get into the pool and can't swim worth s*@t! They are like wet logs in the water struggling to float and moving at a snail's pace.