G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Osteoarthritis

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Osteoarthritis

Post by Speedoaddict » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:40 am

I need some information from the forum if possible.
I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my hands, elbows and possibly my shoulders.
I usually try and swim freestyle, but I was wondering if anyone out there tell me if for example breast stroke would be a better option?
I know there are some serious swimmers on here.
Does anyone else have any problems similar to mine and can suggest anything to help.
Thanks for any help or advise you can offer.
Last edited by Speedoaddict on Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Love speedos, running shorts, rugby shorts, Aussie rules footy shorts.

Latestarter
Great Britain

Re: Osteoarthritis

Post by Latestarter » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:28 am

Saw this yesterday. Not sure how useful it is but you might see something
http://www.220triathlon.com/training/in ... 12704.html

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:35 am

Cheers starter. I will have a look. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PNWGuy

Post by PNWGuy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:38 pm

I've had osteoarthritis in both hips, followed by hip resurfacing to replace the worn-out cartilage with metal-on-metal surfaces. It's amazing what good orthopedic surgeons were able to do. Now I have arthritis in both shoulders, which aren't as amenable to surgical solutions. I'm seeing a physical therapist who has given me a set of rather specific exercises to strengthen the smaller muscles around the shoulder in an attempt to open up the space between the bones and restore normal movement. It seems to be working, but slower than I'd like. I haven't been swimming for a while, but expect that the relatively gentle exercise of moving through the water would be good for my shoulder movement.

speedoboi
Canada

Post by speedoboi » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:42 pm

Speedoaddict wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:40 am
I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my hands, elbows and possibly my shoulders.
I usually try and swim freestyle, but I was wondering if anyone outdoor tell me if for example breast stroke would be a better option?
Does anyone else have any problems similar to mine and can suggest anything to help.
I'm not sure what term they use in the UK, but look for aquafit classes. Some could be specific to arthritis or osteoarthritis.

shawncassidy
United States of America

Post by shawncassidy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:09 am

Hey PNW guy-
Sorry to hear about your shoulders and hips. I just stumbled on this post and wanted to reach out. Last January, at all of 45 years old, I had both hips replaced completely. My osteoarthritis was so far gone, stage-4, resurfacing wasn't an option. Too many marathons and shallow hip sockets! I'd love to start swimming but so far it's just been road cycling for exercise.
Shawn in Seattle
PNWGuy wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:38 pm
I've had osteoarthritis in both hips, followed by hip resurfacing to replace the worn-out cartilage with metal-on-metal surfaces. It's amazing what good orthopedic surgeons were able to do. Now I have arthritis in both shoulders, which aren't as amenable to surgical solutions. I'm seeing a physical therapist who has given me a set of rather specific exercises to strengthen the smaller muscles around the shoulder in an attempt to open up the space between the bones and restore normal movement. It seems to be working, but slower than I'd like. I haven't been swimming for a while, but expect that the relatively gentle exercise of moving through the water would be good for my shoulder movement.

villageguy
United States of America

Post by villageguy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:54 am

Would like to get in on the chat here regarding arthritis. I live in a retirement community here in Florida, The Villages. I am 80 years old and have many both knees replaced, hip replaced, and L3/L4/L5 fused in the back. For several years I have been doing what they call "deep water aerobics." This is where you wear a float around your back and a float on each arm. The exercises are done in the deep water part of the pool where your feet do not touch bottom of the pool. We also use foam dumb bells. I go 3 times a week for 50 minutes each. Deep water exercising keeps the stress off the joints. It has been a great help for me. Cost is very low buying the flotation devices. Plus here in The Villages, there are many other forms of exercising in our pools. I know the difference when I have been out of the pool for awhile. Hope this helps

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:58 am

Thanks for the replies. I have looked into this at my local pools and no one offers these classes. Bleeding typical.

swissswimmer
Switzerland

Post by swissswimmer » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:52 pm

Hi
Was reading about the use of platelets-rich plasma (PRP) injections for osteoarthritis. From what I’ve read it not proven but may be worth some research or discussing with you doctor.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:07 pm

swissswimmer wrote:Hi
Was reading about the use of platelets-rich plasma (PRP) injections for osteoarthritis. From what I’ve read it not proven but may be worth some research or discussing with you doctor.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Cheers I will defo look into that.
All I have been told to do is paracetamol tabs 500mg each. 3 x 2 tabs per day plus volterol cream.
I have asked to be referred to a dept that can help.

Latestarter
Great Britain

Post by Latestarter » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:46 pm

Speedoaddict wrote:
I usually try and swim freestyle, but I was wondering if anyone out there tell me if for example breast stroke would be a better option?
How are you keeping Speedoaddict?

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:53 pm

Latestarter wrote:
Speedoaddict wrote:
I am ok apart from bloody arthritis. You ok?

Latestarter
Great Britain

Post by Latestarter » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:44 pm

Speedoaddict wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:53 pm
Latestarter wrote:
Speedoaddict wrote:

Yes good here. Just wondered if you had found anything to help

Latestarter
Great Britain

Post by Latestarter » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:49 pm

Speedoaddict wrote:
Latestarter wrote:
Speedoaddict wrote:

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:37 pm

Latestarter wrote:
Speedoaddict wrote:
Latestarter wrote: How are you keeping Speedoaddict?

Yes good here. Just wondered if you had found anything to help
Haven’t found anything yet, pools near me don’t offer much in the way of classes. Only adult swim lessons or I need to be pregnant.

speedoboi
Canada

Post by speedoboi » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:26 am

How about the product known as shark cartillage? For some people it has worked.

Bullseye
United States of America

Post by Bullseye » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:36 am

I know everyone has advice to offer, and it can get overwhelming. But for me, tumeric pills, along with glucosamine & chondroitin supplements has really kept my pain in check.

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:43 pm

speedoboi wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:42 pm
I'm not sure what term they use in the UK, but look for aquafit classes. Some could be specific to arthritis or osteoarthritis.

I've taken an aquafit class for general fitness. I don't have arthritis. I can say that after 45 minutes of nearly continuous exercise, I felt good and didn't have any after effects like sore muscles.
Long time Speedo® lover

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:50 pm

Speedoaddict wrote:

My upper body muscles are tight, but not arthritic. I've found the breast stroke to be more gentle. I've also found aquafit classes to work well. They offer them through my employer. See my post above.
Long time Speedo® lover

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:52 pm

Thom wrote:
Speedoaddict wrote:

My upper body muscles are tight, but not arthritic. I've found the breast stroke to be more gentle. I've also found aquafit classes to work well. They offer them through my employer. See my post above.
They don’t offer anything like that in the uk.
Waiting for an appointment to come through for pain management clinic.