G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Snorkeling on Vacation

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

shadowmn
United States of America

Snorkeling on Vacation

Post by shadowmn » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:11 am

Has anyone gone snorkeling during their vacation and worn their speedo? If so, were you the only one wearing your speedo during the excursion? I'm going on a trip in a few weeks and hope to drop the shorts while on the boat, but that depends on how the wife is feeling about it. Of course, I'll be wearing a speedo each day while at the beach or pool.
Just a straight guy that enjoys wearing speedos. Life is too short, enjoy wearing what you want.

violaboy
United States of America

Re: Snorkeling on Vacation

Post by violaboy » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:16 am

I wear one when I go scuba diving, under my wetsuit while diving but otherwise just the speedo.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

52dno98
United States of America

Post by 52dno98 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:18 am

My wife and I went on a snorkeling day trip a few years back in Hawaii... I wore board shorts (as is the thing in Hawaii). During other parts of our trip, I wore speedos on the beach and at the local lap pool, but not on the boat.

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:33 am

shadowmn wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:11 am
Has anyone gone snorkeling during their vacation and worn their speedo? If so, were you the only one wearing your speedo during the excursion? I'm going on a trip in a few weeks and hope to drop the shorts while on the boat, but that depends on how the wife is feeling about it. Of course, I'll be wearing a speedo each day while at the beach or pool.
Where will you be vacationing?
Long time Speedo® lover

shadowmn
United States of America

Post by shadowmn » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:10 am

Thom wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:33 am
shadowmn wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:11 am
Aruba
Just a straight guy that enjoys wearing speedos. Life is too short, enjoy wearing what you want.

BozeHawk
Canada

Post by BozeHawk » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:48 pm

On Oahu: Hanauma Bay (you've got to pay now and make a reservation if you're a tourist), Kaena Point (all the way up on the NW corner of Oahu), and Kahe Point are amongst my favourites.

On the Big Island: Kahaluʻu Bay, Hapuna (way up the west coast, but you can swim with sea turtles), and my fave Honaunau-Napoopoo (aka Captain Cook's Bay, as that's where he died) for an opportunity to actually swim with dolphins, They show up because the glass bottom boat tours feed them. Where there're dolphins you can be sure you're safe from sharks.

I spent my misspent teens going to secondary and uni on the islands. Beach time was always in my cossies, with boardshorts as coverup with pockets for the bus, hitchhiking, and wandering about.

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:07 pm

shadowmn wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:10 am
Thom wrote:
Aruba
I found this web page. Seems to be a mixed bag (and baggies), with the usual silliness of Americans. I'd guess the South Americans might wear sungas. They'll probably think you're a European or Latin. So, speak with an accent...any accent. 8)

https://bb.visitaruba.com/f2/swimwear-aruba-3815/

Here's a cool video of the beaches in Aruba.

https://www.visitaruba.com/virtual-dose-of-aruba/

I'd probably go to one of the French islands. Fewer Americans go to those than the others. I speak enough French to get by, and I have a good accent which is better than my limited vocabulary and grammar. Possibly more Speedo friendly. But things change.
Long time Speedo® lover

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:31 pm

violaboy wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:16 am
I wear one when I go scuba diving, under my wetsuit while diving but otherwise just the speedo.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
In the seventies, that was very common. Dive shops sold speedos.
Long time Speedo® lover

packedspeedo
United States of America

Post by packedspeedo » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:40 am

I wore a speedo under my split-side running shorts when I went snorkeling in Mexico. Saw a few people in speedos. I wish I had lost the shorts. Oh well.

Tried snorkeling in Miami, water was much too cloudy to be able to see anything. But I only wore speedos in Miami Beach. I loved that freedom to walk around in them.

shadowmn
United States of America

Post by shadowmn » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:08 am

Thom wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:07 pm
shadowmn wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:10 am
Thom wrote:
Aruba
I found this web page. Seems to be a mixed bag (and baggies), with the usual silliness of Americans. I'd guess the South Americans might wear sungas. They'll probably think you're a European or Latin. So, speak with an accent...any accent. 8)

https://bb.visitaruba.com/f2/swimwear-aruba-3815/

Here's a cool video of the beaches in Aruba.

https://www.visitaruba.com/virtual-dose-of-aruba/

I'd probably go to one of the French islands. Fewer Americans go to those than the others. I speak enough French to get by, and I have a good accent which is better than my limited vocabulary and grammar. Possibly more Speedo friendly. But things change.
I’ve been to Aruba twice before and have no problem wearing my speedo at the Marriott pool and beach where we stay. I was more curious about wearing a speedo during a snorkeling excursion. I went snorkeling once, but I didn’t wear my speedo and it wasn’t a great location for snorkeling. I’m hoping to do a better excursion this time and it’d be even better just wearing my speedo. I feel a little weird on the boat though if I’m the only one wearing a speedo, and my wife probably would not go for it. She tolerates my speedos and knows I’ll be wearing them everyday, but she doesn’t want me to make a spectacle of myself. Who knows though, maybe she’ll just say go for it and I’ll drop the shorts.

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:34 pm

shadowmn wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:08 am

I’ve been to Aruba twice before and have no problem wearing my speedo at the Marriott pool and beach where we stay. I was more curious about wearing a speedo during a snorkeling excursion. I went snorkeling once, but I didn’t wear my speedo and it wasn’t a great location for snorkeling. I’m hoping to do a better excursion this time and it’d be even better just wearing my speedo. I feel a little weird on the boat though if I’m the only one wearing a speedo, and my wife probably would not go for it. She tolerates my speedos and knows I’ll be wearing them everyday, but she doesn’t want me to make a spectacle of myself. Who knows though, maybe she’ll just say go for it and I’ll drop the shorts.
Might there be Latins or Europeans on the snorkeling excursion? They may wear brief suits, so then you'd fit right in. I know I'd wear them. Also, I'd want to be sleek under water.
Long time Speedo® lover

swimsharkau
Australia

Post by swimsharkau » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:54 pm

I think wearing speedos on a snorkeling trip would absolutely depend on what type of snorkeling trip you are doing.

You would be surprised just how much you can get sunburned, as you spend nearly the whole time at the surface of the water. If it's an all day trip I would be careful. If less time in the water/sun, then give it a go as it is a good feeling snorkeling in just briefs.

As for me I love speedos, but I nearly always go for shorts and a rash shirt when snorkeling on holiday, otherwise I end up looking like a ridiculous lobster when I actually do wear my speedos at the pool or beach.

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:40 pm

swimsharkau wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:54 pm

As for me I love speedos, but I nearly always go for shorts and a rash shirt when snorkeling on holiday, otherwise I end up looking like a ridiculous lobster when I actually do wear my speedos at the pool or beach.
I've seen full body lycra suits that people wear while snorkeling if they are in the water midday when the sun is brutal here, even in the winter.
Long time Speedo® lover

52dno98
United States of America

Post by 52dno98 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:34 am

shadowmn wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:08 am

When we were in Maui, we spent a lot of time just sitting by the pool at the Marriott where we were staying. One or the other of us would often walk along the beach or the trail that connects all the hotels in the Kaanapali area. We didn't go together to avoid losing our spots by the pool, but that's another story altogether.

Anyway, when she went walking, I took my shorts off and lounged by the pool in a speedo. When I went walking on the beach, I took my shorts off and walked the beach in a speedo. But when we were together, the shorts stayed on. It was for exactly the reason you mention- my wife just thinks it's unduly drawing attention to myself. She'd rather fade into the background and not be conspicuous.

I hope you fare better! I would imagine that in a place like Aruba where there are a lot of European tourists, speedos might be somewhat more common?

_su_
United States of America

Post by _su_ » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:20 am

Yes, I went snorkeling on vacation in my speedo. Yes I was the only one. My wife and I went on a cruise in the Caribbean with several stops from Barbados to St Croix. I wore my shorts onto the excursion shuttle boat, and slipped them off when it was appropriate before getting in the water. I kept them off while riding between stops on the excursion, but put them on when the excursion was over. No one else minded or noticed.

trance399
Canada

Post by trance399 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:33 am

52dno98 wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:18 am
My wife and I went on a snorkeling day trip a few years back in Hawaii... I wore board shorts (as is the thing in Hawaii). During other parts of our trip, I wore speedos on the beach and at the local lap pool, but not on the boat.
Why not on the boat? I'll be going to Hawaii soon and plan to do just that. Hell I don't think I've ever even owned a pair of board shorts.

Were the speedos on the beach mostly accepted?
🎶

diveguy
United States of America

Post by diveguy » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:54 am

If you’re a speedo lover, vacationing in any exotic place and are planning to go snorkeling, it would be a damn shame and missed opportunity not to do it in your speedo. The feeling is absolutely sensational, and you will be so glad that you went for it.

Yes, you’ll perhaps be the only one. Ignore the temptation to fit in with the swim trousers wearers. Once you are in the water, you will feel a rush of pleasure without all the cloth around your legs, and nobody will be looking at you they’ll be concentrating on whatever they’re looking at underwater.

Yes, you are likely to get sunburned. Try to tan in your speedo as much as possible before the trip, even in a salon if necessary. Limit the amount of time you’re in the water and cover up as much as possible back on the boat or the beach. Use a "waterproof" sunscreen, like Bullfrog. It’s not really waterproof, or at least not for long, but it’s better than regular sunscreen and better than nothing.

I was fortunate to be doing work in Hawaii and went there many times during the course of the job. I bought my first speedo there and wore it as much as possible at the beach, in the pool, but especially while snorkeling and freediving. Yes, I did get sunburned and it was pretty uncomfortable at its worst, but that burn eventually turned into an awesome speedo tan and I loved the experience and I wouldn’t trade it for anything, and wearing my speedo in the ocean was incredibly satisfying and pleasurable.

This was in the early 1990s, on Oahu, the island where Honolulu is. Speedos were on sale everywhere... department stores (I bought mine at Sears!), convenience stores, dive shops and snorkel renting places, swimsuit shops and boutiques. There wasn’t a day where I didn’t see at least one or two other speedo wearers besides myself, but it wasn’t really common. It’s been a long time since I’ve gone back, and I suspect that there are even fewer speedo wearers there now, but I'm old enough now not to give a shit what anyone else thinks and if I go back someday, I sure as hell will wear a speedo, and you should too. It will make you happy.
Underwater and Speedo loving straight guy

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:57 pm

diveguy wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:54 am
Yes, you are likely to get sunburned. Try to tan in your speedo as much as possible before the trip, even in a salon if necessary. Limit the amount of time you’re in the water and cover up as much as possible back on the boat or the beach. Use a "waterproof" sunscreen, like Bullfrog. It’s not really waterproof, or at least not for long, but it’s better than regular sunscreen and better than nothing.
When I was able to get to the beach or pool more here in FL, where I live, I'd always go after 3pm. I'd tan and never burn. But when you're on vacation, you want to maximize the time, so you have to take precautions. The sun is brutal down here. You can burn in the winter even on a cool day between ten am and two pm. My dermatologist has read me the riot act.
Long time Speedo® lover

52dno98
United States of America

Post by 52dno98 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:50 am

trance399 wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:33 am
Why not on the boat? I'll be going to Hawaii soon and plan to do just that. Hell I don't think I've ever even owned a pair of board shorts.
Board shorts are absolutely the regular attire in Hawaii. I think it comes from the surfing culture there. Dude if you've got the stones to go on a boat with like 50 other people and rock your speedo, DO IT. I don't have that level of confidence, but I wish I did. That would be awesome.
trance399 wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:33 am
Were the speedos on the beach mostly accepted?
I saw one other guy at the hotel pool wearing a speedo, and I never saw anyone interact negatively with him, and no one ever said anything to me specifically or pointed or giggled or anything.

I honestly think that nobody really cares what you wear. Now there might be some teenagers that point and giggle amongst themselves, but you're not going to have an interaction with anyone.

SEASPEEDO
United States of America

Post by SEASPEEDO » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:10 pm

I travel to Hawaii (Maui and Kauai) frequently and alway wear my speedos... on the beach or at the pool.
I'm sure I've had some "looks", but never felt like someone was openly being negative towards me and my choice
of swim wear.
Usually I see one or two others in speedos, but the norm is board shorts.