G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Fitness + Swimming Goals in 2021

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

Thom
United States of America

Re: Fitness + Swimming Goals in 2021

Post by Thom » Sun May 09, 2021 9:33 am

jca155 wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:21 am
Thom wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:44 pm

I totally agree. My high school and college years were a waste in terms of fitness. Things got better in grad school when I took private tennis lessons at an indoor, private club. The teaching pro did things like visualization and other techniques. It was a revelation; I actually became competent. Later, several resources I found taught me to swim better for fitness, if not for competition. I've managed to keep my weight the same as it was in college, about 66kg/145lb.
Good for you Thom! And I agree, everyone learns differently. It’s hard for a school P.E. teacher to teach 40 kids at one time and expect everyone to excel.

Although I failed miserably in my teenage/college years, I finally seek help and slowly improve my fitness.

My current weight is the same as it was, if not lighter, when I graduated university, which was 11 years ago. I hope I can keep saying this in the next 40 years, just like you, Thom! :)
Awesome! Keep at it!!! Canada seems to have more pools available than we do down here.
Long time Speedo® lover

jca155
Canada

Post by jca155 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:28 pm

Hello! I haven't updated my progress for months.

It looks like my weight is going down at a very slow pace right now. Hovering at 195 lbs. Still 10 lbs away from my ultimate goal.

However, my fat percentage is going down at a slow and steady pace though. It's sitting at 14%-ish. Hopefully I can get to my 12% goal soon.

For my swimming goals, I can consistently swim at 2:10-ish/100m in a 25m pool, still need to do a bit more work to get it down to 2:00 or below. I started swimming at a 50m pool near my office in downtown. Oh man! a 50m pool feels 10 times longer than a 25m one. I was tired af. I gotta keep practicing to make it less miserable.

Here is a picture of me after a lunchtime swim this Tuesday. Love these new speedos!

IMG_2734.jpg
IMG_2734.jpg (331.2 KiB) Viewed 7145 times
Johnny in Vancouver

52dno98
United States of America

Post by 52dno98 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:11 am

jca155 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:28 pm
Wow! Amazing work to get here from where your first photo was!!! Good job.

jca155
Canada

Post by jca155 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:13 pm

52dno98 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:11 am
Wow! Amazing work to get here from where your first photo was!!! Good job.
Thank you very much mate!

If anyone has any fitness tips, please send them along. The last bit of the weight loss journey is always the hardest. :P
Johnny in Vancouver

...:::sam:::...
Australia

Post by ...:::sam:::... » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:49 pm

You’re going really well, not far until your goal now.

Don’t sweat the swim times, it will sort itself out. In swimming a lot is technique but really just keep doing what you’re doing so well.

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:05 pm

jca155 wrote:

It looks like my weight is going down...

Well done!
Long time Speedo® lover

10decguy

Post by 10decguy » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:03 am

jca155 wrote:

It looks like my weight is going down at a very slow pace right now. Hovering at 195 lbs. Still 10 lbs away from my ultimate goal.

wow, super nice progress. You're really looking good man.

swimmy

Post by swimmy » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:49 am

Is there a masters team at your pool you can join? To do so would be a big boost for you. Having a coach to give you pointers and push you is huge.
Swimming is extremely technique dependant! Doing any part of any stroke the slightest bit incorrectly becomes a bad habit. Coaches use drills to refine technique.
I can't express enough how critical it is to have a coach. Even just a swim buddy in the next lane to give you pointers is good. I do a lot of that these days, my team disbanded with covid shenanigans and probably never will come back. I still swim every evening though.

jca155
Canada

Post by jca155 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:50 pm

...:::sam:::... wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:49 pm
You’re going really well, not far until your goal now.
Thank you Sam!
Thom wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:05 pm
Well done!
Thank you Thom!
10decguy wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:03 am
wow, super nice progress. You're really looking good man.
Thank you 10decguy!
swimmy wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:49 am
I can't express enough how critical it is to have a coach. Even just a swim buddy in the next lane to give you pointers is good.
You bet! I am taking a class this season. 3 classes down, 9 more weeks to go.

My coach has a masters group but he has a strict prerequisite of being able to hold 1:50/100m, a speed I don't have yet. Instead, I am taking this class which equips us to get into the masters later.

So far, we have worked on our kick, catch and body rotation. There are still a lot to cover. In the latest benchmark test, I swam 10:34/500m. Not a bad time to start with, I guess?

My coach also offered a flip turn clinic and a butterfly clinic, which I enjoyed a lot.

Hopefully when my technique and flip turn get better, I can bring my 500m time down to 10:00 or even lower.

I will report back! 8)
Johnny in Vancouver

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:35 pm

jca155 wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:50 pm

I will report back! 8)
Looking forward to it!
Long time Speedo® lover

oldspeedo
United States of America

Post by oldspeedo » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:43 pm

Great progress! Congratulations!

Bulgerunner
Great Britain

Post by Bulgerunner » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:14 am

Well done jca155; very impressive results!

I am also fortunate in having lost significant weight (nearly 15kg) since I started my collection of speedos, mostly through a low-carb diet and triathlon training. But I can't bear to part with the ones that are now loose and which slip down the backside after pushing off at the start of each lap in the pool.

Fortunately, I have found a solution. Flash tape! It's a waterproof double-sided adhesive strip which (I now realise) has been used by women for years to prevent "wardrobe malfunctions". I apply two strips on the butt cheeks and make sure the speedo is firmly pressed into it. This takes practice, and can't easily be done in the changing room, so do it at home and arrive ready-changed. The tape is transparent, but visible after you take off the speedos and hence dictates some discretion in the changing room.

I am beginning to like the look: instead of being overweight and squeezing into a tight speedo, wearing a slightly too big one sends the message that I'm fit and looking after myself, while giving exciting opportunities to make adjustments during the swim!

Here's a link:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Braza-Womens-C ... B01N2GODEE

Keep it up!

jca155
Canada

Post by jca155 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:43 pm

Bulgerunner wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:14 am
Well done jca155; very impressive results!

I am also fortunate in having lost significant weight (nearly 15kg) since I started my collection of speedos, mostly through a low-carb diet and triathlon training. But I can't bear to part with the ones that are now loose and which slip down the backside after pushing off at the start of each lap in the pool.

Fortunately, I have found a solution. Flash tape! It's a waterproof double-sided adhesive strip which (I now realise) has been used by women for years to prevent "wardrobe malfunctions". I apply two strips on the butt cheeks and make sure the speedo is firmly pressed into it. This takes practice, and can't easily be done in the changing room, so do it at home and arrive ready-changed. The tape is transparent, but visible after you take off the speedos and hence dictates some discretion in the changing room.

I am beginning to like the look: instead of being overweight and squeezing into a tight speedo, wearing a slightly too big one sends the message that I'm fit and looking after myself, while giving exciting opportunities to make adjustments during the swim!

Here's a link:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Braza-Womens-C ... B01N2GODEE

Keep it up!
Hey Bulgerunner, thanks for the advice. It seems tricky for me as I always put on my speedo in change room and take it off right after the swim.

I think I prefer selling my old, loose pair online and use the proceeds to cover the cost of buying a new pair. Haha

Cheers!
Johnny in Vancouver

rmf

Post by rmf » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:45 pm

Good work.
I second the Master Swim class comment. I am really surprised with the 1:50/100m minimum requirement. The whole idea of Master Swim Classes are to help people improve their swim skills and have fun. I am currently doing a Fall Master's class at the YMCA and the coach is great. We have a wide skill level of swimmers and the first day we were asked our skill level and then assigned lanes. Adjustments are made as needed. The coach also had two workouts or sometimes 3 which you can pick. While they are all generally the same, the speed or distance is slightly adjusted so we all can finish at the same time in the 1.5 hrs of swimming.

Look around, there are probably Master swim classes at the local pools & gyms. Some will be expensive but places at the YMCA, it's really affordable - especially if you are already a member of the Y.
straight, married w/ kids.

jca155
Canada

Post by jca155 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:06 pm

rmf wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:45 pm
Good work.
I second the Master Swim class comment. I am really surprised with the 1:50/100m minimum requirement. The whole idea of Master Swim Classes are to help people improve their swim skills and have fun. I am currently doing a Fall Master's class at the YMCA and the coach is great. We have a wide skill level of swimmers and the first day we were asked our skill level and then assigned lanes. Adjustments are made as needed. The coach also had two workouts or sometimes 3 which you can pick. While they are all generally the same, the speed or distance is slightly adjusted so we all can finish at the same time in the 1.5 hrs of swimming.

Look around, there are probably Master swim classes at the local pools & gyms. Some will be expensive but places at the YMCA, it's really affordable - especially if you are already a member of the Y.
I guess my coach sets the 1:50/100m prerequisite simply because of the limited space at the pool. He can accommodate 12-14 swimmers each session and he is already running multiple masters sessions, plus a dozen of “lessons” for swimmers like me.

So instead of having a big session, and putting swimmers at different skills level in different lanes, my coach offers more sessions and put swimmers in various classes according to their levels.

I do enjoy the small group learning opportunities.

Speaking of YMCA, there’s one in Downtown Vancouver just two blocks away from my office but their pool is having a major mechanical issue. It won’t be reopened until January at the earliest. By the time, I might have already changed job and work elsewhere in the city.

But there’s a new YMCA being built near my house though. It’s expected to be completed by the end of 2022. It’s gonna take less than 10 minutes to walk there. I am really looking forward to swimming there.
Johnny in Vancouver

jca155
Canada

Post by jca155 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:57 pm

Hello guys,

It's almost 3 months since my last update. I have a few positive news to share.

After a 12-week front crawl course with my coach, I have made enough progress to join his masters group in January.

My 5 x 100m front crawl benchmark test improved significantly from 10:34 in late-September, to 10:10 in mid-October, to 9:40 in early-December.

I can't express how happy I am with the progress. Hope I can further improve my skills and break 9:00/500m soon.

My weight loss is going slowly but surely. I am now hovering between 190-195 lbs, with 12.8% body fat, according to the latest body scan. I am getting very very close to my 12% goal. I will keep working on it, after all the holiday eating. :lol:

Wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! :)

IMG_3583 copy.jpg
IMG_3583 copy.jpg (143.17 KiB) Viewed 5813 times
Johnny in Vancouver

Scottiebum
Great Britain

Post by Scottiebum » Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:01 pm

jca155 wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:57 pm
Hello guys,

It's almost 3 months since my last update. I have a few positive news to share.

After a 12-week front crawl course with my coach, I have made enough progress to join his masters group in January.

My 5 x 100m front crawl benchmark test improved significantly from 10:34 in late-September, to 10:10 in mid-October, to 9:40 in early-December.

I can't express how happy I am with the progress. Hope I can further improve my skills and break 9:00/500m soon.

My weight loss is going slowly but surely. I am now hovering between 190-195 lbs, with 12.8% body fat, according to the latest body scan. I am getting very very close to my 12% goal. I will keep working on it, after all the holiday eating. :lol:

Wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! :)

IMG_3583 copy.jpg
That sounds very positive, well done!
Straight
Scottish
Speedo

wetman1961
Great Britain

Post by wetman1961 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:28 am

Well done on both maintaining and building on the weight loss, and on improving your swimming time!

I am still maintaining my weight loss, I am now on my way to a different "swimming goal" - swimming in the sea through the winter. My target is to swim at least once a week, and to swim between two pairs of steps and back as a minimum each swim. Up to now I have been exceeding both those comfortably, so I should be able to keep it going into next Spring. And I only wear a speedo! I invested in a Dryrobe this Autumn and it is proving its worth, it's great at helping me keep warm after the swim.

A Merry Christmas to you too, and here's to us both keeping up with our progress in the New Year.
Every man should own a Little Black Speedo :P

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:35 pm

I have lost some weight this year by cutting outa lit of rubbish from my diet. I was 20st 8lb (288lbs), as of today I am 18st 1lb (253lbs). Just got to keep going and try my best. I can’t exercise at the moment due to a few health problems which is a bitch, but I am focused on losing another 3st (42lbs). To everyone keep up the great work. Proud of you all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Love speedos, running shorts, rugby shorts, Aussie rules footy shorts.

Scottiebum
Great Britain

Post by Scottiebum » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:09 am

Speedoaddict wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:35 pm
I have lost some weight this year by cutting outa lit of rubbish from my diet. I was 20st 8lb (288lbs), as of today I am 18st 1lb (253lbs). Just got to keep going and try my best. I can’t exercise at the moment due to a few health problems which is a bitch, but I am focused on losing another 3st (42lbs). To everyone keep up the great work. Proud of you all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's very impressive, well done!
Straight
Scottish
Speedo