G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Speedo in Hawaii

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

Northwestspeedo

Speedo in Hawaii

Post by Northwestspeedo » Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:23 pm

I’m wearing a square cut suit at my hotel pool in Hawaii right now, and exact number of people that care or even noticed is zero.

MrMusik
United States of America

Re: Speedo in Hawaii

Post by MrMusik » Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:42 pm

Northwestspeedo wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:23 pm
I’m wearing a square cut suit at my hotel pool in Hawaii right now, and exact number of people that care or even noticed is zero.
Exactly!

No one cares.

You could be wearing a much smaller suit and still, no one will care until you start being indecent.

ExBex
United States of America

Post by ExBex » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:33 am

In Hawaii, everyone should be too relaxed to care about swimsuits.

I saw some pics from Waikiki in the 80s and speedos were everywhere. It could be that way again!

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:03 pm

ExBex wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:33 am

I saw some pics from Waikiki in the 80s and speedos were everywhere. It could be that way again!
Amazing. I've seen a few on the 80s Magnum, P.I. with Tom Selleck
Long time Speedo® lover

otter
United States of America

Post by otter » Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:07 am

This is a photo of a Waikiki surfer taken in 1898. Much has changed, both the scenery and the dress code!
https://www.vintag.es/2021/09/charles-kauha.html?m=1
Attachments
charles-kauha-1.jpg
charles-kauha-1.jpg (121.15 KiB) Viewed 8648 times
Last edited by otter on Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
feel water like an otter would

diveguy
United States of America

Post by diveguy » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:06 am

ExBex wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:33 am

In the early ‘90s, I always saw a few on the beaches and poolside, but I doubt there are even that many nowadays. Sad, but hopefully they'll become a little more common now that "mainstream" swim trunks are getting shorter and shorter again, which might encourage guys to go all the way and fully expose their thighs in briefs.
Underwater and Speedo loving straight guy

ExBex
United States of America

Post by ExBex » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:25 pm

diveguy wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:06 am

In the early ‘90s, I always saw a few on the beaches and poolside, but I doubt there are even that many nowadays. Sad, but hopefully they'll become a little more common now that "mainstream" swim trunks are getting shorter and shorter again, which might encourage guys to go all the way and fully expose their thighs in briefs.
Yeah, on my last trip to Hawaii in 2019, the only speedos I saw were on the "shy" guys at the nude beach, lol.

52dno98
United States of America

Post by 52dno98 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:36 am

I went to the Ka'anapali area of Maui in 2017 and took a long walk on the beach- from Black Rock to the Hyatt- in just a speedo. I was the only person I saw in a speedo the whole time, but it felt AMAZING and profoundly liberating to be out in public, just being myself on my own terms.

JustaSpeedoguy
New Zealand

Post by JustaSpeedoguy » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:47 am

A few years ago when I was last in Honolulu I wore my budgy smugglers (blue pair and a pink pair) the whole time at Waikiki beach, two smaller beaches on the other side of the island and at two different hotel pools. Only saw one or two other speedos but didn’t perceive any funny attitudes and felt normal and fun.

sandford50
Great Britain

Post by sandford50 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:51 am

At least the unstoppable Christian Ocean never lets the side down:

https://youtu.be/bSKEbkvUmLo

trance399
Canada

Post by trance399 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:29 am

otter wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:07 am
This is a photo of a Waikiki surfer taken in 1898. Much has changed, both the scenery and the dress code!
https://www.vintag.es/2021/09/charles-kauha.html?m=1
The normal beach attire of men is currently changing. Board shorts are out (thank god), shorter shorts are the norm now as long as you're not 16 and too self-conscious. It won't be long before swim briefs or even the tighter shorts are the norm. Fashion is always evolving.
🎶

otter
United States of America

Post by otter » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:49 pm

I'll be with my wife and niece on Waikiki next month. I have kama'aina cousiins there. Looking forward to the beaches and swimming/bodysurfing. Got to look good, feel good! I'll take along Speedo, Turbo, Dolfin, Arena, Q, and SungaLife, letting my wife help choose for the day. I feel lucky that she likes me to rock'm.
Waikiki isn't just one beach. It is strung along the coast, from Ala Moana, where locals hang out, to Kahanamoku and quiet Fort DeRussy beach, down the long stretch past the main resorts and commercial area where the bikinis and tourists rule, to Queens Beach, Liliuokalani Park, San Souci Beach, the old Natorium, and Kaimana Beach, which is another small one with a local vibe. I look for time at San Souci and Kaimana for snorkeling out on the reef, haven't done it there before, a marine life conservation area. Honolulu the city is exciting too for East/West meets Polynesia. Good hiking on the forest trails above the city too. I don't think I'll dare to do the speedo on the trails. It's temping though if the weather is right. Maybe the sunga.
We'll have a couple of days on North Shore too, staying at a hostel in Pupukea across from 3 tables Beach. Also a marine conservation area. I'm not expecting to see a lot of guys in speedos, but maybe you are right and such will become a trend. !?:>). I recall the last time I was on Oahu, the only speedo guys I saw were getting their feet wet at Kuilima Cove near the Turtle Bay Resort.

diveguy
United States of America

Post by diveguy » Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:24 am

trance399 wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:29 am

The normal beach attire of men is currently changing. Board shorts are out (thank god), shorter shorts are the norm now as long as you're not 16 and too self-conscious. It won't be long before swim briefs or even the tighter shorts are the norm. Fashion is always evolving.
I think you are correct, and it’s about damn time that the trend is turning back to smaller mens' swimwear. I see ads on IG for mens' swimwear and they’re all a lot shorter even than they were last year, and being marketed mainstream, not just to LGBTQ customers. The big test will be to see how long before stores like Target are stocking the smaller trunks.

diveguy
United States of America

Post by diveguy » Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:35 am

otter wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:49 pm
I'll be with my wife and niece on Waikiki next month...
Otter, you brought back so many great memories of my trips to Hawaii in the 1990s. I swam and snorkeled on all of those beaches in my speedo! I snorkeled around the old natatorium. And out to the buoy near the Canoe Club and dove under to hang out with sea turtles and held my breath on the sea floor to watch the swimmers round the buoy above me. Ala Moana, where mostly locals go, was a wonderful place to swim. Not good for snorkeling or diving because the visibility is zero, but the water is warm and calm and was just so amazing to swim out to the reef rocks and climb out of the water and stand on the rocks all wet in my speedo and turn and look back at all the tall buildings of Honolulu, and then head-first dive back in and swim back to the beach to lay out.

It’s been a long time. I need to get back.

On your trip next month please seriously look to see if the suits the guys are wearing are looking noticeably shorter than they’ve been the past few decades, and let us know!

otter
United States of America

Post by otter » Sat May 06, 2023 2:26 pm

Followup report: I counted only two other speedos on my to Oahu last week. Both guys were on Kahanamoku beach in front of the Waikiki Hilton. One guy jettisoned his board shorts in favor of a black brief for actual ocean swimming. Maybe because I was already there. The other guy was in line at a beach bar, showing off his black & white stripes. There were quite a few square cuts, favored by Asian guys. Most guys as expected wore board shorts. You know, the Norm. I don’t have a problem with that. We all wear what’s comfortable and acceptable without rocking the boat, right? Even the big guy in way too loose board shorts showing way too much butt crack, he’s having a great time, building sand castles with his kids. I didn’t spot any other guys in briefs on the rest of my Oahu vacation. Of course, there were lots of bikinis. And there were men, women and children of all ages, shapes, complexions. Generally a laid back family scene.

I took 4 swim briefs, I’ll post a picture. No issues feeling weird. Mainly I wore the Q with Brazilian colors and the Turbo sardine. Both of those are water polo suits, and I love the solid low fit. I wore the Dolfin orangish suit under shorts on a hike up to Manoa Falls, so I could swim in the cool pool at the base of the falls and not have to hike back in soggy shorts. Lightweight and fast drying. Also took the easy hike into Waimea falls and swam under the waterfall there, wearing the Brazilian Q. That was the most interesting experience in terms of rocking a speedo in front of a lot of people, but it was all good. The Van Gogh theme sunga came out for a couple of swims and snorkeling on the North Shore. It is so comfortable, silkie Lycra, and feels so conservative after the others just for hanging out and walking around. My wife and I were in the water every day, the ocean and two waterfalls.
Attachments
Oahu_swimbriefs.jpeg
Oahu_swimbriefs.jpeg (112.93 KiB) Viewed 6634 times

solarguy
United States of America

Post by solarguy » Sun May 07, 2023 4:48 am

Sounds like you had a great trip Otter! Thanks for sharing!!

Otobias
Portugal

Post by Otobias » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:38 am

Nice speedos choice, Otter. Love the sardines.
And great that you've enjoyed the journey..

Enviado do meu SM-A525F através do Tapatalk

BendSpeedo
United States of America

Post by BendSpeedo » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:40 pm

I went to Hawaii as a teenager in 1996 - stayed at Waikiki - and on my first trip the the beach the first guy I saw was in a purple speedo which really kickstarted my love of them

BendSpeedo
United States of America

Post by BendSpeedo » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:40 pm

I went to Hawaii as a teenager in 1996 - stayed at Waikiki - and on my first trip the the beach the first guy I saw was in a purple speedo which really kickstarted my love of them

52dno98
United States of America

Post by 52dno98 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:02 am

Awesome trip report! Glad you got a chance to wear some great-looking suits!