G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Why Aussiebum no longer has free shipping

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

rockman748

Why Aussiebum no longer has free shipping

Post by rockman748 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:07 am

We touched on this in another thread on here, but I felt like it deserves its own thread. Some of you may have realized that Aussiebum now only offers free shipping on purchases over $30usd. I heard some people saying $40 so maybe they were referring to AUD or possibly it was that they had a higher amount during the sale. I realized now why they did this when I was on their FaceBook page recently and saw someones comment. People were intentionally splitting their orders into multiple purchases so that they could avoid custom duties. I know in the US there is no tax unless you are importing at least $200 I believe. It might be a higher limit, but I know it's a larger number, whereas in places like Britain it is my understanding that the tax was placed on much lower amounts like £25. I could be wrong on the exact numbers, but this is the basic premise as to why I believe they are charging now. People would split a $100 into 4-$25 orders so they had to pay less taxes. Personally I think they should have just began charging shipping to people who were abusing the system, but that's what happens I guess. A few people ruined it for everyone.
Just a straight guy who likes speedos and aussiebums

speedoboi
Canada

Re: Why Aussiebum no longer has free shipping

Post by speedoboi » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:37 pm

rockman748 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:07 am
We touched on this in another thread on here, but I felt like it deserves its own thread. Some of you may have realized that Aussiebum now only offers free shipping on purchases over $30usd. I heard some people saying $40 so maybe they were referring to AUD or possibly it was that they had a higher amount during the sale. I realized now why they did this when I was on their FaceBook page recently and saw someones comment. People were intentionally splitting their orders into multiple purchases so that they could avoid custom duties. I know in the US there is no tax unless you are importing at least $200 I believe. It might be a higher limit, but I know it's a larger number, whereas in places like Britain it is my understanding that the tax was placed on much lower amounts like £25. I could be wrong on the exact numbers, but this is the basic premise as to why I believe they are charging now. People would split a $100 into 4-$25 orders so they had to pay less taxes. Personally I think they should have just began charging shipping to people who were abusing the system, but that's what happens I guess. A few people ruined it for everyone.
I remember it was AussieBum that encouraged me to split my orders to avoid the duty charges.

Mazda3mps
Australia

Post by Mazda3mps » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:33 pm

rockman748 wrote:We touched on this in another thread on here, but I felt like it deserves its own thread. Some of you may have realized that Aussiebum now only offers free shipping on purchases over $30usd. I heard some people saying $40 so maybe they were referring to AUD or possibly it was that they had a higher amount during the sale. I realized now why they did this when I was on their FaceBook page recently and saw someones comment. People were intentionally splitting their orders into multiple purchases so that they could avoid custom duties. I know in the US there is no tax unless you are importing at least $200 I believe. It might be a higher limit, but I know it's a larger number, whereas in places like Britain it is my understanding that the tax was placed on much lower amounts like £25. I could be wrong on the exact numbers, but this is the basic premise as to why I believe they are charging now. People would split a $100 into 4-$25 orders so they had to pay less taxes. Personally I think they should have just began charging shipping to people who were abusing the system, but that's what happens I guess. A few people ruined it for everyone.
Haha yeh. It’s aud 40. That was that mentioned it in the other post. I can see why people would split their order if tax is charged for 25pounds, that’s such a low amount. Here in Australia we don’t get charged import taxes unless it’s over $900aud I believe.

But like I said $40aud isn’t much but would still keep me off buying as much as I do now. It’s especially hard having the items you are after all on sale at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockman748

Post by rockman748 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:24 pm

speedoboi wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:37 pm

I remember it was AussieBum that encouraged me to split my orders to avoid the duty charges.
That is actually surprising that they would suggest that to you as I have a feeling that is probably illegal. I don't know that for certain, but it just seems like one of those things that someone would have made a rule about because they could. In that case if they were suggesting that to people, then maybe they had another motivation as to why they now charge for it.
Just a straight guy who likes speedos and aussiebums

speedoboi
Canada

Post by speedoboi » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:33 am

rockman748 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:24 pm
speedoboi wrote:

That is actually surprising that they would suggest that to you as I have a feeling that is probably illegal. I don't know that for certain, but it just seems like one of those things that someone would have made a rule about because they could. In that case if they were suggesting that to people, then maybe they had another motivation as to why they now charge for it.
There's nothing illegal about it really. Usually I would place separate orders each day or place an order in the morning and then one in the afternoon or evening.

rozelle
Indonesia

Post by rozelle » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:06 pm

speedoboi wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:33 am
rockman748 wrote:
speedoboi wrote:

There's nothing illegal about it really. Usually I would place separate orders each day or place an order in the morning and then one in the afternoon or evening.
do you do that to avoid tax or you just decided to buy them at different times because you change your mind? no judgement, pure curious question.

speedoboi
Canada

Post by speedoboi » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:27 pm

rozelle wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:06 pm
speedoboi wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:33 am
rockman748 wrote:

do you do that to avoid tax or you just decided to buy them at different times because you change your mind? no judgement, pure curious question.
I can't speak for your country, but I know there's a certain amount exempt from tax, I believe it's $50 or a bit more, in Canadian dollars. The orders are placed in separate packages, each with their respective declared values.

Aircat
Australia

Post by Aircat » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:17 pm

Mazda3mps wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:33 pm
. Here in Australia we don’t get charged import taxes unless it’s over $900aud I believe.
$1000 but it might be changing soon and they are making big international retailers with Aus presence collect GST on all items.

Yourknickers
Australia

Post by Yourknickers » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:32 am

Hey Rockman748 can i have thoes awesome speedos you are wearing in your avatar? Awesome pair