G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Off the rack speedos--not much left

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

clem
United States of America

Off the rack speedos--not much left

Post by clem » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:12 pm

Do your local sporting goods store even carry swim briefs anymore? Of the 3 major chain sporting goods stores around here, only Scheels has generic black TYR briefs available. The other two only have jammers in stock next to the overflowing rows of women's swimwear. The local bicycle/triathlon specialty shop has 1 token brief on the rack, possibly as a gag. Maybe it's different in larger cities catering to a more diverse public, but it's still a disappointing trend from just a decade ago.

speedobillyuk
Great Britain

Re: Off the rack speedos--not much left

Post by speedobillyuk » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:28 pm

It's the same wherever you go - I travel around quite a bit and always check out sports stores to see what they have, and it's always the same navy blue or black speedo endurance briefs and little or nothing else. Such a contrast to the past when you'd find a whole rack of speedo briefs (and Arena, Maru etc) in various tyles, patterns and colours. I guess it's down to the internet - there's so much more available online, so why bother looking in your local store. Here in the UK the retail sector is in serious decline as online shopping takes over. Local sports shops, once so common, are now a thing of the past, and there is really only one sports retailer left - the notorious Sports Direct. Does seem odd that the womens swimwear still continues to justifuy huge amounts of space.
Speedos - the only way to swim...

ExBex
United States of America

Post by ExBex » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:48 pm

I stopped in a Dunham's sporting goods store a few weeks ago. They only had basic blue or black speedo brand briefs, at full price near $40.

I'm not sure how they stay in business. Every time I go there, I feel like I'm the only customer. Aside from the lack of men's swimsuits, the store is packed with inventory, but there are never any shoppers!

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:03 am

We have a sports direct and a decathlon near me.
Sports Direct is a mess. Never tidy, clothes on the floor getting trodden on.
Decathalon is always busy but I don’t go in their never heard of some of the brands so don’t know what to expect sizing and quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Love speedos, running shorts, rugby shorts, Aussie rules footy shorts.

Ilbap
Great Britain

Post by Ilbap » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:31 am

Speedoaddict wrote:We have a sports direct and a decathlon near me.
Sports Direct is a mess. Never tidy, clothes on the floor getting trodden on.
Decathalon is always busy but I don’t go in their never heard of some of the brands so don’t know what to expect sizing and quality.

I've never tried the Decathlon brand ones, but they do also seem to sell other brands like Speedo, Adidas and Arena so it's worth a look. They're quite often reduced as well - I got a reduced pair of Adidas 3 stripes from there.

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:49 am

Last time I went in my local decathlon was just before Xmas (after some squash balls. Had a look at the swimwear it was all Nabaji (sorry if I spelt it wrong ). No Adidas, Speedo or any other brand.

Scottiebum
Great Britain

Post by Scottiebum » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:04 am

Decathlon does have briefs but nothing very interesting.
I have just started buying from them so not sure how their stuff lasts. Size is very small.
I have bought running tights that I love, posted here earlier, they are a great cut. Nice shaped front for support but not too extreme for public.
Straight
Scottish
Speedo

clem
United States of America

Post by clem » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:41 am

ExBex wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:48 pm
I stopped in a Dunham's sporting goods store...I'm not sure how they stay in business.
My Mrs. used to like their selection of Speedo swimwear, but now she's more of a Nike gal and there are never any sale prices on anything appealing.

If you're in the Orlando area, there is a big youth swim national meet going on through the weekend (Mar. 30), and a Speedo expo sale tent. Some decent briefs, standard prices.

Harsh1994
Peru

Post by Harsh1994 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:13 pm

We in Peru have two big sporting goods store chains called Marathon and Triathlon (everything is about -thlons haha). I haven't visited Triathlon too much but Marathon usually has a poor variety of speedos, usually Nike, AquaSphere or Arena brands and always in navy or blue. They usually carry more jammers than swim briefs and even more womens swimsuits than jammers. Strangely Marathon doesn't sell swim briefs in its website while Triathlon does it. There are also Adidas stores but not all of them sell swim briefs. Department stores were selling swim briefs but now they only do it online. Getting sports swim briefs in local stores Peru is getting harder and harder because they are migrating those items to their online stores and sometimes they neither stock them online and most Peruvian people have some fears about putting credit cards on a form. Most serious swimmers in Peru are getting their swim briefs or jammers online via eBay or American stores (using freightforwarders in Miami area) because not even the small sporting goods stores are selling most of current models, or try to buy their suits while traveling abroad.
Speedos are the best swimwear around. Period.

fbanks
United States of America

Post by fbanks » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:28 am

Looking for a Speedo in a Sports Store in the States is now a lost cause. IF they stock anything, it is a tiny rack with a couple of the basic blue and black. I was amazed on vacation when I went into a beach store in St. Pete's and there was a little section of Speedos and men's bikinis and skimpy suits in all sorts of colors!
Check My Collection in Photos ... always adding new pictures! Fletch.

diveguy
United States of America

Post by diveguy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:50 am

fbanks wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:28 am
Looking for a Speedo in a Sports Store in the States is now a lost cause. IF they stock anything, it is a tiny rack with a couple of the basic blue and black. I was amazed on vacation when I went into a beach store in St. Pete's and there was a little section of Speedos and men's bikinis and skimpy suits in all sorts of colors!
Interesting, but yes, here in the States, it's down to online or very small boutique stores. There are only two national sporting goods retail chains left that I can think of, Big 5, and Dick's. Despite the irony of their name, Dick's has never been speedo friendly that I can tell. I don't even know if they even sell swimwear at all. They never advertise swimwear, or even anything watersports related that much, in their Sunday circulars. Big 5 has always sold speedos, and they continue to. Mostly Speedo brand, Nike, and occasionally Tyr. But they don't stock any suit that is not black, blue, maybe red, or with sides measuring less than 3 inches.
Underwater and Speedo loving straight guy

devildog
Netherlands

Post by devildog » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:49 am

It's not just with speedos tho. Generally internet shopping has taken over in terms of more variety and better pricing. Goes for many products. I only buy groceries and discount/sale stuff in regular stores.

In Amsterdam we have a specialty store with underwear, swimwear, gym/club and sexy wear. It's in one of the streets where the gay bars are, and that's clearly their target audience. They sell a wide range of brands of speedos too, but the prices are at least double from buying online. And if there's a sale, like now the Easter sale at Aussiebum, then it's quadruple.

I did buy my first AB's there also to support the only shop selling them here, but now I order directly from AB online to support AB directly.
Attachments
artem3.jpg
artem3.jpg (210.62 KiB) Viewed 8368 times
be comfortable

speedostud
Canada

Post by speedostud » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:22 am

Meanwhile, in Australia...
speedo-store-2.jpg
speedo-store-2.jpg (70.37 KiB) Viewed 8351 times
There's a Speedo store in every mall...
speedon7.jpg
speedon7.jpg (256.42 KiB) Viewed 8351 times
As well as independent shops like Budgy Smuggler with stores...
getlstd-property-photo.jpg
getlstd-property-photo.jpg (67.27 KiB) Viewed 8351 times

speedobillyuk
Great Britain

Post by speedobillyuk » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:55 am

You can rely on the Ausies to do things properly.
Speedos - the only way to swim...

MISwimmer

Post by MISwimmer » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:53 am

Looks Like heaven, Speedostud!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SungueroPeru
Peru

Post by SungueroPeru » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:13 am

I wish someone fron Brasil would add some pics from stores selling sungas.

I would like to thank Harsh1994 for his post about Peru, and add that there is one Speedo store in Plaza Norte mall.

I love the photos from Australia!

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:04 am

SungueroPeru wrote:I wish someone fron Brasil would add some pics from stores selling sungas.

I would like to thank Harsh1994 for his post about Peru, and add that there is one Speedo store in Plaza Norte mall.

I love the photos from Australia!
There are a few places near me that do sell swim briefs (sports direct and Decathlon) but the choice is so boring.
I tend to buy mine on the net or eBay.

Love the pics members have posted on here in this and different topics. Show that there is a huge variety of styles, patterns and colours out there.
If I had the money I would go on holiday every year to the countries with the best speedo culture and buy a pair from that destination.
Everyone on here is a great inspiration.
Keep it going my speedo clad family.

rmf

Post by rmf » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:41 am

diveguy wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:50 am

Interesting, but yes, here in the States, it's down to online or very small boutique stores. There are only two national sporting goods retail chains left that I can think of, Big 5, and Dick's. Despite the irony of their name, Dick's has never been speedo friendly that I can tell. I don't even know if they even sell swimwear at all. They never advertise swimwear, or even anything watersports related that much, in their Sunday circulars. Big 5 has always sold speedos, and they continue to. Mostly Speedo brand, Nike, and occasionally Tyr. But they don't stock any suit that is not black, blue, maybe red, or with sides measuring less than 3 inches.
Dick's sells two style Speedo briefs in our local store (upper midwest) - Standard 7cm and their Poly suit in a few colors. They also have a larger selection online to include TYR and Nike and some water polo suits. However, we also have a couple of swim shops that suit up all the schools and local swim clubs in town so it's not that hard to find main stream brands locally so that's probably why they feel the need to carry the suits in the store.
straight, married w/ kids.

swimmy

Post by swimmy » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:46 am

Our local sporting stores sell speedo brand goggles, and jammers in black only. Except for one downtown which also sells speedo brand jammers and briefs in the local school colors, which would be black for one school and blue for the other. Quite the selection, huh?
Thank god for swimoutlet.com and their amazing catalog of just about any brief imaginable.
Being hooked on Speedo Endurance and Dolphin Ceres, (both amazingly chlorine resistant) my only regret is that they last for years of daily lap swimming. I don't get to shop and order new ones very often. My last purchase was two years ago, the Turbo Monsters which I use mostly for yardwork, car washing, sunning, boating, sailing, etc, where a very tough fabric feels necessary.

Speedoaddict
Great Britain

Post by Speedoaddict » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:08 am

swimmy wrote:Our local sporting stores sell speedo brand goggles, and jammers in black only. Except for one downtown which also sells speedo brand jammers and briefs in the local school colors, which would be black for one school and blue for the other. Quite the selection, huh?
Thank god for swimoutlet.com and their amazing catalog of just about any brief imaginable.
Being hooked on Speedo Endurance and Dolphin Ceres, (both amazingly chlorine resistant) my only regret is that they last for years of daily lap swimming. I don't get to shop and order new ones very often. My last purchase was two years ago, the Turbo Monsters which I use mostly for yardwork, car washing, sunning, boating, sailing, etc, where a very tough fabric feels necessary.
Hi swimmy,
Don’t let that put you off.
As one of the topics discussed on here.
How many Speedos are too many?