G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Influencing my close friends to use speedos openly: Should I do it?

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

Harsh1994
Peru

Influencing my close friends to use speedos openly: Should I do it?

Post by Harsh1994 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:08 pm

Hi guys, I was thinking about a speedo matter in me. When I lived in Chiclayo (my birthplace and true hometown, a mid-sized city in northern Peru), I wore speedos to the beach or pool (for swimming class) only when I went alone. I took pics of me in speedos and posted on my social networks. Some friends liked them, some other didn't. Nobody in my close circle wore speedos to beach, but as time was passing by, there were a few friends that began to use them in Chiclayo or during trips abroad. None of them were close friends but friends of my past with which I still have a connection. I thought I could have been an influencer for them because it's very rare to wear speedos in Chiclayo beaches, even in gay people or swimmers, and they don't have many close speedo-wearing references. Once I used speedos in a pool with friends (an Andrew Christian Chinese counterfeit) but they stayed under boardshorts all the time. I continued doing my thing with speedos in the beaches of Lima, always going alone.

The last month (February), I went to a beach 44 Km south of Lima called Playa Blanca, in the district of Punta Hermosa, with one of my best friends which I will call 'Drew' (it's not his real name). It was a very hot day and my sunscreen was slipping from my face after only five seconds. Drew is openly gay and knows I wear speedos but he only wear shorts; however, he has a white and thin body acceptable to wear speedos if he wanted. I packed four speedos in my bag (Clever UK, Clever Flag, Addicted logo black-yellow and lilac AussieBum Viper) for changing myself while being at the beach. I didn't found any bathroom or changing room in Playa Blanca, only a single public bathroom in Playa Negra -at the middle of Isla Punta Hermosa, Playa Negra and Playa Blanca and serving the three beaches-. So, after seeing some hot guys in speedos, I wanted to change my shorts to speedos using my big beach towel as a 'courtain' but Drew told me not to do it and stay in my shorts. I was very disappointed with it but I didn't tell him thinking it was only a Peruvian cultural matter.

Two weekends ago Drew and I wanted to go again to Playa Blanca but he was partying the night before until 6 -under cocaine and marijuana effects- and had sex with a Colombian hookup, so he woke up at 14 -I had to reach to his house and scream his name- and it was very late to reach Punta Hermosa. Then we decided to go to Los Yuyos, a beach in the very central district of Barranco (so bohemic, so hipster). This time I was with my swim shorts but I changed my underwear to speedos at Drew's bathroom, deleting the need of a changing room at the beach. Once in Los Yuyos, I slipped my shorts in order to stay with my speedos (Clever UK). Drew was surprised but get used to it easily. It was a very self-confidence exercise. We took pics of us with me only in speedos between the cold-but-refreshing weedy water that he still doesn't send me. He was wearing black swim shorts but didn't take off his T-shirt. I realized that Drew didn't want to see me changing to speedos in Punta Hermosa due to lack of changing rooms or bathrooms. Or maybe he's really disgusted with my costume but I'll stay doing it because it's part of my identity and authenticity. Whatever... I'll wear speedos again in front of Drew next time we go to a beach and bring two pairs more to lend to him, even if he tells me that I look like a bitch and need to go to the gym :lol: (Drew said it as a friend joke)

Do you think that Drew could want to wear speedos in a future visit to the beach with me? Could I influence and encourage my close friends to wear speedos if I do it in front of them using the strategy of speedos-under-shorts? Should I talk about speedos with my friends more frequently? I know Peruvian people it's not very speedo-friendly but speedos are already a growing trend in middle-high class gay guys 18-30 years old. I'm only middle class and here it isn't a trend yet. Maybe I could be the new speedo influencer in Peru ;) Send your opinions in comments 8)
Speedos are the best swimwear around. Period.

Scottiebum
Great Britain

Re: Influencing my close friends to use speedos openly: Should I do it?

Post by Scottiebum » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:43 am

I would be gentle, comments and hints but do not be too forceful or it might be counter productive and push others away.
Straight
Scottish
Speedo

...:::sam:::...
Australia

Post by ...:::sam:::... » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:50 am

I'm not sure why its an issue if you or your friends wear speedos or boardies. I wouldn't worry.

swimmy

Post by swimmy » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:14 am

A couple years ago one of the younger fellows that swam laps with my group every night showed up once without his swimsuit. Oops. Of course I offered him my spare, we're about the same size and there are always a couple in my locker, no jammers though... He accepted and chose the black Speedo Endurance, well used but still in good condition (Endurance rules, in my experience).
When he came out to the pool I told him he looks like a serious swimmer now. Nothing else was said, ever. No comments from him about how he liked it. Nothing.
Just before Christmas he mentioned he needed a new suit, his jammer was worn out. I asked if he's gonna get a speedo and mentioned our sports store downtown has the two school colors, and there was a great selection at swimoutlet.com. I even emailed him the link to a speedo there on sale and said this would look great on you.
I never got an answer. He quit coming to swim workouts. He ignored all texts I sent wondering where he was. He unfriended me on Facebook.
I have no idea. Maybe he deduced I'm gay and doesn't like that. But I'm not gay, just love the sight of a great bod. That isn't gay.
So. There is my experience with encouraging a friend to wear a suit that I would enjoy seeing him in.

speedoboi
Canada

Post by speedoboi » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:44 pm

Harsh1994 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:08 pm
Hi guys, I was thinking about a speedo matter in me. When I lived in Chiclayo (my birthplace and true hometown, a mid-sized city in northern Peru), I wore speedos to the beach or pool (for swimming class) only when I went alone. I took pics of me in speedos and posted on my social networks. Some friends liked them, some other didn't. Nobody in my close circle wore speedos to beach, but as time was passing by, there were a few friends that began to use them in Chiclayo or during trips abroad. None of them were close friends but friends of my past with which I still have a connection. I thought I could have been an influencer for them because it's very rare to wear speedos in Chiclayo beaches, even in gay people or swimmers, and they don't have many close speedo-wearing references. Once I used speedos in a pool with friends (an Andrew Christian Chinese counterfeit) but they stayed under boardshorts all the time. I continued doing my thing with speedos in the beaches of Lima, always going alone.

The last month (February), I went to a beach 44 Km south of Lima called Playa Blanca, in the district of Punta Hermosa, with one of my best friends which I will call 'Drew' (it's not his real name). It was a very hot day and my sunscreen was slipping from my face after only five seconds. Drew is openly gay and knows I wear speedos but he only wear shorts; however, he has a white and thin body acceptable to wear speedos if he wanted. I packed four speedos in my bag (Clever UK, Clever Flag, Addicted logo black-yellow and lilac AussieBum Viper) for changing myself while being at the beach. I didn't found any bathroom or changing room in Playa Blanca, only a single public bathroom in Playa Negra -at the middle of Isla Punta Hermosa, Playa Negra and Playa Blanca and serving the three beaches-. So, after seeing some hot guys in speedos, I wanted to change my shorts to speedos using my big beach towel as a 'courtain' but Drew told me not to do it and stay in my shorts. I was very disappointed with it but I didn't tell him thinking it was only a Peruvian cultural matter.

Two weekends ago Drew and I wanted to go again to Playa Blanca but he was partying the night before until 6 -under cocaine and marijuana effects- and had sex with a Colombian hookup, so he woke up at 14 -I had to reach to his house and scream his name- and it was very late to reach Punta Hermosa. Then we decided to go to Los Yuyos, a beach in the very central district of Barranco (so bohemic, so hipster). This time I was with my swim shorts but I changed my underwear to speedos at Drew's bathroom, deleting the need of a changing room at the beach. Once in Los Yuyos, I slipped my shorts in order to stay with my speedos (Clever UK). Drew was surprised but get used to it easily. It was a very self-confidence exercise. We took pics of us with me only in speedos between the cold-but-refreshing weedy water that he still doesn't send me. He was wearing black swim shorts but didn't take off his T-shirt. I realized that Drew didn't want to see me changing to speedos in Punta Hermosa due to lack of changing rooms or bathrooms. Or maybe he's really disgusted with my costume but I'll stay doing it because it's part of my identity and authenticity. Whatever... I'll wear speedos again in front of Drew next time we go to a beach and bring two pairs more to lend to him, even if he tells me that I look like a bitch and need to go to the gym :lol: (Drew said it as a friend joke)

Do you think that Drew could want to wear speedos in a future visit to the beach with me? Could I influence and encourage my close friends to wear speedos if I do it in front of them using the strategy of speedos-under-shorts? Should I talk about speedos with my friends more frequently? I know Peruvian people it's not very speedo-friendly but speedos are already a growing trend in middle-high class gay guys 18-30 years old. I'm only middle class and here it isn't a trend yet. Maybe I could be the new speedo influencer in Peru ;) Send your opinions in comments 8)
Honestly, if I was with you, I could possibly wear swim briefs. But looking at your avatar, I could feel inferior.

ChicagoDan

Post by ChicagoDan » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:36 pm

I wear speedos al the time to the beach, even with my wife and teenaged kids. Before I was married, a friend and I would hang out at the beach, me in my speedos, him in dork shorts that he would always roll up at as far as he could to tan his thighs. Afterwards, we would go back to my place to clean up, and shower and get ready to go out. I would leave my speedos out and noticed that they would not be in the same spot after he finished up. Finally, I just asked him if he wanted to wear a pair of mine instead of rolling his shorts up. He took me up on it, wore mine for a while, then he bought a few of his own. After t bnb at, we both always wore speedos together whe swimming. It's been a while, but I am sure if we were swimming again, he would still wear a speedo.

speedostud
Canada

Post by speedostud » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:07 am

You should Google the story about the brand Budgy Smugglers in Australia. It started out as a bit of a joke, but they've basically used reverse psychology to make them a total jock dude thing to do in Australia, all the professional sports teams wear them now, and the young guys all want to be like them... so you literally have the reverse of the US going on, where all the 'cool kids' are wearing them now! Short answer: yes.

https://budgysmuggler.com.au/pages/about-us

Harsh1994
Peru

Post by Harsh1994 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:52 pm

Scottiebum wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:43 am
I would be gentle, comments and hints but do not be too forceful or it might be counter productive and push others away.
Obviously I must be gentle with this. My plan is to influence through my physical presence in speedos around my friends at the beach or pool or continuing to post speedo pics of me in my social networks. I said I'd carry more than one pair of speedos in my bag to lend to a friend but I would only do it if he wanted. If my friend isn't interested in my speedos, he'll stay in his shorts and it's OK.
swimmy wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:14 am
A couple years ago one of the younger fellows that swam laps with my group every night showed up once without his swimsuit. Oops. Of course I offered him my spare, we're about the same size and there are always a couple in my locker, no jammers though... He accepted and chose the black Speedo Endurance, well used but still in good condition (Endurance rules, in my experience).
When he came out to the pool I told him he looks like a serious swimmer now. Nothing else was said, ever. No comments from him about how he liked it. Nothing.
Just before Christmas he mentioned he needed a new suit, his jammer was worn out. I asked if he's gonna get a speedo and mentioned our sports store downtown has the two school colors, and there was a great selection at swimoutlet.com. I even emailed him the link to a speedo there on sale and said this would look great on you.
I never got an answer. He quit coming to swim workouts. He ignored all texts I sent wondering where he was. He unfriended me on Facebook.
I have no idea. Maybe he deduced I'm gay and doesn't like that. But I'm not gay, just love the sight of a great bod. That isn't gay.
So. There is my experience with encouraging a friend to wear a suit that I would enjoy seeing him in.
Maybe you should be more cautious. I read your story and thought that you simply had to send your ex-friend the link of the entire store. If he didn't say nothing after your comment about how he looked with your speedos on, maybe he doesn't like speedos and accepted your proposal only because there wasn't another option at that moment for him. Sometimes we want to help a friend with our knowledge about a specific matter and even making a proposal based in our own taste, but our goodwill can play us tricks.
speedoboi wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:44 pm
Honestly, if I was with you, I could possibly wear swim briefs. But looking at your avatar, I could feel inferior.
Oh, thank you for the compliment :shock: :3 I can't see your avatar but I bet you look better than me. I have gained weight since Christmas. I weighed about 57 Kg last year but now I weigh 64 Kg. I even upgraded waist size from 28" to 30" (that's why I have to buy my Turbo LA Uni and Q Eye of the Barrel waterpolo briefs again in size 32" or 34"). Today I bought a Monark elliptical air cross trainer from a big store near my apartment and it will be built in the next days, so it could be a good companion to reach my goal to lose some weight before flying to Chile.

blueflinch
Australia

Post by blueflinch » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:26 pm

Why not wear your speedos under your shorts? That way, when you visit beaches, you can change without needing a change room - just pull your shorts off and you're already in your speedos! :mrgreen:

The best way of influencing others is by example. If you feel comfortable in speedos, wear them. If your mates like what they see, or see how relaxed and carefree you are, they might buy and wear their own suits. But I wouldn't worry too much about this. Wear what makes you feel comfortable and happy. Let the universe take care of the rest.

You have a lovely body and look very nice in your speedos. I agree, it's nice to see the bodies of hot guys and speedos display the male body better than other swimwear. But you have to let people make up their own minds ultimately ... 8)

blueflinch
Australia

Post by blueflinch » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:30 pm

swimmy wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:14 am
Oh God. Sounds traumatic! :oops: :lol:

But you never know - maybe he just got too busy to swim, and wasn't thinking about your speedo comments at all. 8)

The feeling I get is that maybe you were too "needy" i.e. trying too hard to be his mate. Not a gay thing or a sex thing. Maybe you were just coming across as a bit possessive or something, and it spooked him out? :cry:

Harsh1994
Peru

Post by Harsh1994 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:58 pm

blueflinch wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:26 pm
Why not wear your speedos under your shorts? That way, when you visit beaches, you can change without needing a change room - just pull your shorts off and you're already in your speedos! :mrgreen:

The best way of influencing others is by example. If you feel comfortable in speedos, wear them. If your mates like what they see, or see how relaxed and carefree you are, they might buy and wear their own suits. But I wouldn't worry too much about this. Wear what makes you feel comfortable and happy. Let the universe take care of the rest.

You have a lovely body and look very nice in your speedos. I agree, it's nice to see the bodies of hot guys and speedos display the male body better than other swimwear. But you have to let people make up their own minds ultimately ... 8)
Last time I did it wearing speedos under my shorts, so I changed at the beach in front of Drew (my friend). Maybe I'd have to make it more when it was summer again not only with Drew but also with my other friends. If they decide to wear speedos after watching me, it would be great and terrific! If they keep stuck to shorts, that's OK for them and for me. Everybody should be free to wear what they want, and I want to wear speedos.

blueflinch
Australia

Post by blueflinch » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:26 pm

Harsh1994 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:58 pm
Last time I did it wearing speedos under my shorts, so I changed at the beach in front of Drew (my friend). Maybe I'd have to make it more when it was summer again not only with Drew but also with my other friends. If they decide to wear speedos after watching me, it would be great and terrific! If they keep stuck to shorts, that's OK for them and for me. Everybody should be free to wear what they want, and I want to wear speedos.
Sounds cool, buddy. And may I just say you look incredibly sexy and cute in your speedos too! :P

SungueroPeru
Peru

Post by SungueroPeru » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:40 pm

I'm also form Peru, so I understand what you are writing about. Sometimes I go to Yuyos beach and join 2 freinds of mine that wear speedos, and I can see many people laughing or getting nervous when a group of men wear skimpy swimwear,
I own a couple of pairs that I bought in internet.
I don't really know if we had influenced other to wear speedos, but some times you see at least more than 8 guys wearing sexy swimsuits. Last Sunday, I've even seen a bodybuilder wearing posing trunks LOL
My best friend and I are both crazy about speedos and we always share information on styles, colours, new designs; our other fellows just enjoy wearing them and have 1 or 2 pairs.
I have influenced one friend from my workplace to wear them, he eventually buying one for him. We went to Huacho last years and ejoyed the beach. It was is his time wearing speedos and he told me he really liked it.
I hope we could have another opportunity to do it again.

Harsh1994
Peru

Post by Harsh1994 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:43 pm

SungueroPeru wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:40 pm
I'm also form Peru, so I understand what you are writing about. Sometimes I go to Yuyos beach and join 2 freinds of mine that wear speedos, and I can see many people laughing or getting nervous when a group of men wear skimpy swimwear,
I don't really know if we had influenced other to wear speedos, but some times you see at least more than 8 guys wearing sexy swimsuits. Last Sunday, I've even seen a bodybuilder wearing posing trunks LOL
My best friend and I are both crazy about speedos and we always share information on styles, colours, new designs; our other fellows just enjoy wearing them and have 1 or 2 pairs.
I have influenced one friend from my workplace to wear them, he eventually buying one for him. We went to Huacho last years and ejoyed the beach. It was is his time wearing speedos and he told me he really liked it.
Finally another member from Peru <3

I lived a similar situation in Waikiki beach in Miraflores. I was in my Clever UK speedos and a Star Wars T-shirt from Ripley (I didn't want to take off my T-shirt because it was January and it was still cold). I walked from Waikiki to Makaha and some people gave me some bad sightings.

Is your workmate straight, gay or bi? :shock:

SungueroPeru
Peru

Post by SungueroPeru » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:17 am

Harsh1994 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:43 pm
SungueroPeru wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:40 pm
Finally another member from Peru <3

I lived a similar situation in Waikiki beach in Miraflores. I was in my Clever UK speedos and a Star Wars T-shirt from Ripley (I didn't want to take off my T-shirt because it was January and it was still cold). I walked from Waikiki to Makaha and some people gave me some bad sightings.

Is your workmate straight, gay or bi? :shock:
My speedo-lover friend friend that I always meet in Yuyos is gay.

My workmate, with whom I went to Huacho, is straight.