G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

What is "speedo-friendly" and does it matter?

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

_su_
United States of America

What is "speedo-friendly" and does it matter?

Post by _su_ » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:44 am

I recently returned from a weekend stay with my wife at a little resort in Vero Beach Florida. Out of about 50 people I saw on the beach or around the pool, I was the only one wearing a speedo.

One might argue this is not "speedo-friendly". However, no remarks were made to me about my attire, nor did I notice any negative looks. So would that be considered speedo-friendly?

I ask because I frequently see threads here about speedo-friendly locations, and as I mentioned above, this could be seen either way.

I would also like to ask / point out to those that would say a lack of others in speedos means that a place is not speedo-friendly, was my presence in a speedo all it took to make it speedo-friendly? 8)
Speedo tanlines - making you even easier to find in the dark...

speedostud
Canada

Re: What is "speedo-friendly" and does it matter?

Post by speedostud » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:28 am

Ya, I agree, everyone can wear what they want, and as long as you feel comfortable, it is probably speedo friendly. I have seen some very open aggression towards speedos in the U.S. (I've travelled extensively, and this is a U.S. specific hang-up). I have been asked to wear shorts over my speedo at hotel pools before, and at a water park, where both times I was told to do so because of 'the kids'. #WTF.

BJE
United States of America

Post by BJE » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:30 pm

I’m always the only one wearing a speedo regardless of where I’m at. I assume that as long as there is no written rule prohibiting speedos then it is speedo friendly. Ive never been asked to where something else, however if I was asked to wear something else I’d ask whether or not they allow bikinis on women. Most bikinis I see are way skimpier than the typical speedo.

I think the reason you don’t see men in speedos is not because the place is not speedo friendly, it’s just because most men in the US anyway don’t have the balls to wear a speedo.

blueflinch
Australia

Post by blueflinch » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:19 pm

In Australia, everywhere is "speedo-friendly", as long as they're regular speedos, and not some ridiculous novelty item with your arse cheeks hanging out, for example. Both boys and grown men wear them at beach, pool, waterpark, etc.

I don't think "speedo-friendly" is a thing in the way "gay-friendly" is a thing. Not in Australia, anyway. Maybe it's different in the States. I don't think any Aussies are THAT prudish. It might be different if you wanted to go nude! :lol:

swimsharkau
Australia

Post by swimsharkau » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:43 pm

I would like to know exactly what happens to "kids" who see a man in a speedo.

Do they faint, collapse, run to the car, take up drugs, grow up emotionally unstable and turn to a life of crime?

I see speedos at the pool, and beach, all the time. I also see kids as well. Up till now, I have not once witnessed a "kid" have any sort of reaction to a man in a speedo.

Kids know what all the body parts are from a young age. A lot also understand what they are for. Nearly all kids couldn't give a stuff about what adults are doing at the pool/beach - they are much more concerned with swimming, playing, and having fun.

All swimming spaces should be speedo friendly. The only people who have an issue are insecure, and immature, teens and adults.

BJE
United States of America

Post by BJE » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:49 pm

As far as I know there are no laws in the US which would ban speedos but there may be pools which ban them. However as far as I have seen, most pool rules say that proper or appropriate swimwear is required. That could be open to interpretation but I think it means that you must wear clothing designed for swimming, not street clothes or workout clothes.

At my athletic club I asked the aquatics director if it was appropriate to wear swim briefs. The answer was that the rule says you must wear swimwear. Swim briefs are swimwear therefore they are not against the rules. She added “besides, you look good in them”. What they don’t want are people getting into the water in their workout clothes, which I see regularly and it makes me angry.

There are a couple of men I know from my community who I see at the pool regularly. They are both fat and wear their workout shorts and t shirts in the pool. They just take off their shoes and socks and get in. They see me in my skimpy swim briefs as I get into the pool to swim laps. They are probably shocked by seeing me almost naked at the pool. They are both religiously very conservative. However, I’m the one in the appropriate swimwear and they are the ones breaking the rules. I feel inclined to complain to the management about them.

I do know of a couple of university pools which do not allow swim briefs. However their swim and dive teams wear them.

81mardel
United States of America

Post by 81mardel » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:25 pm

I think typically 'speedo friendly' has meant a place where speedos are (at least somewhat) more common to see at the beach or the pool and therefore more 'accepted' by the general public. But I see your point that if no one is treating you negatively then that's a good thing too.

BJE
United States of America

Post by BJE » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:51 pm

81mardel wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:25 pm
I think typically 'speedo friendly' has meant a place where speedos are (at least somewhat) more common to see at the beach or the pool and therefore more 'accepted' by the general public.
By this definition no place I go is speedo friendly. I haven’t been to a place where there was another man in a speedo in many years. Even the lap swimmers have moved to jammers or board shorts.

swimmy

Post by swimmy » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:52 pm

Wow I'm rarely the only speedo guy at any pool I go to. I think to come up with a definition of speedo friendly we need to first define speedo. Leaving out posing suits and thongs and erotic junk sacks that piss people off and cause them to hate anything less than a dorkshort.

blueflinch
Australia

Post by blueflinch » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:37 pm

swimsharkau wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:43 pm
I would like to know exactly what happens to "kids" who see a man in a speedo ... Nearly all kids couldn't give a stuff about what adults are doing at the pool/beach - they are much more concerned with swimming, playing, and having fun.
If what you say is true, then, logically, it must be the mothers who are offended! :lol:

ExBex
United States of America

Post by ExBex » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:06 am

Good point, _su_.

My threshold for "speedo-friendly" has always been if other guys are out there in speedos. So definitely, you made Vero Beach more speedo-friendly for me!

I guess my view is that if other guys are wearing speedos, it's the best sign that an area really is speedo-friendly and that I won't have a negative experience. If nobody else is wearing them, it might be more hit/miss, unless you already know the area well.

For sure, someone has to start the trend, and not care whether they are the first! That's not usually me!

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:35 pm

81mardel wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:25 pm
I think typically 'speedo friendly' has meant a place where speedos are (at least somewhat) more common to see at the beach or the pool and therefore more 'accepted' by the general public. But I see your point that if no one is treating you negatively then that's a good thing too.
If you're the only one in a speedo and nobody says anything, notices, or cares, I guess I'd call that speedo-safe, or speedo-neutral..

Speedo-friendly is where a number of men are wearing speedos, and the women are wearing next to nothing. Speedo couples smile when they see you and invite you join them for a drink at the bar adjacent to the pool. They compliment you on how good you look in your 1.5 inch sides and ask you where you bought them (Armani? Neiman-Marcus? CheapUndies.com?). I imagine it's like this on South Beach, and maybe some beaches on the Mediterranean. Even on the more conservative beaches of the South Florida coast, I've had women a third my age smile in a cordial way as I've emerged from the surf in my clinging wet speedos, the beads of water on my toned, tanned skin glistening in the late afternoon sun. That too is speedo-friendly.

If you hear people saying EWWWW, see them shrinking in horror and shielding the eyes of their children, I'd say that's probably NOT speedo-friendly--but I've never encountered that. Actually, the only EWWW I've ever got was when I offered a gay friend a pair of speedos that were too big for me, still with tags. I thought he'd think they were cool. Blue with white splice. But no. I experienced Speedo-rejection. :cry:
Long time Speedo® lover

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:01 pm

BJE wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:49 pm
At my athletic club I asked the aquatics director if it was appropriate to wear swim briefs. The answer was that the rule says you must wear swimwear. Swim briefs are swimwear therefore they are not against the rules. She added “besides, you look good in them”. What they don’t want are people getting into the water in their workout clothes, which I see regularly and it makes me angry.

There are a couple of men I know from my community who I see at the pool regularly. They are both fat and wear their workout shorts and t shirts in the pool. They just take off their shoes and socks and get in.
That's pretty awful.
BJE wrote:

They see me in my skimpy swim briefs as I get into the pool to swim laps. They are probably shocked by seeing me almost naked at the pool. They are both religiously very conservative. However, I’m the one in the appropriate swimwear and they are the ones breaking the rules. I feel inclined to complain to the management about them.
I'd certainly mention it. If spoken to, these men might avoid the pool entirely. It would be better if they changed into fresh baptismal robes.
BJE wrote:
I do know of a couple of university pools which do not allow swim briefs. However their swim and dive teams wear them.
Wow. I'm really surprised at that. The university where I did my undergraduate work only requires "Proper Swimwear" and you're asked to shower before entering the pool. I've noticed at alumni events that hardly anyone actually uses the pool.
Long time Speedo® lover

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:10 pm

_su_ wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:44 am
I recently returned from a weekend stay with my wife at a little resort in Vero Beach Florida. Out of about 50 people I saw on the beach or around the pool, I was the only one wearing a speedo.
Wow, I've always liked Vero Beach, but haven't been there in years. Please private message the name of the resort.

I think if you are lean and fit, which you are, people think that you wear speedos because you're athletic and a swimmer. You have a practical reason for wearing them.

Maybe we could call it, Speedo-tolerant.
Long time Speedo® lover

blueflinch
Australia

Post by blueflinch » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:49 pm

I guess any place is speedo-friendly if you see more than 2-3 guys wearing speedos? :lol:

BJE
United States of America

Post by BJE » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:23 pm

ExBex wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:06 am
Good point, _su_.

My threshold for "speedo-friendly" has always been if other guys are out there in speedos. So definitely, you made Vero Beach more speedo-friendly for me!

I guess my view is that if other guys are wearing speedos, it's the best sign that an area really is speedo-friendly and that I won't have a negative experience. If nobody else is wearing them, it might be more hit/miss, unless you already know the area well.

For sure, someone has to start the trend, and not care whether they are the first! That's not usually me!
I guess I make everywhere I go a little more speedo friendly. It’s been two years since I’ve seen another man in a speedo. That was at my athletic club lap swimming. Before that it’s probably been another ten years since I’ve seen a man wearing a speedo, which was lap swimming as well. Pretty much since jammers came out men around here have stopped wearing briefs for lap swimming. Many lap swim in loose fitting shorts.

When I was tanning poolside today after lap swimming I suspect the other men out tanning as well were wishing they were brave enough to be dressed like me for a much better tan.

I act like it’s normal to wear briefs so in my mind it is normal. The outdoor pool was full of children and teenagers and men and women were sitting poolside while I was tanning and it really seemed like nobody paid any attention to me. There were two women in bikinis, one especially skimpy but nobody seemed to pay much attention to them either.

I think the best thing to do is call and ask beforehand what swimwear rules are and if it’s okay to wear a speedo then you can wear it with confidence knowing you aren’t going to be embarrassed by being asked to cover up even if other pool patrons look at you with scorn.
Attachments
BE7388AF-BF85-45C9-A148-E491B5DD94F3.jpeg
BE7388AF-BF85-45C9-A148-E491B5DD94F3.jpeg (265.77 KiB) Viewed 7723 times

BJE
United States of America

Post by BJE » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:34 pm

Thom wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:35 pm

If you hear people saying EWWWW, see them shrinking in horror and shielding the eyes of their children, I'd say that's probably NOT speedo-friendly--but I've never encountered that. Actually, the only EWWW I've ever got was when I offered a gay friend a pair of speedos that were too big for me, still with tags. I thought he'd think they were cool. Blue with white splice. But no. I experienced Speedo-rejection. :cry:
Not to offend anyone but I think the EWWWW factor turns into an awe factor when the speedo wearer is fit.

_su_
United States of America

Post by _su_ » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:44 am

I think most of you are getting the point I was trying to make. It seems like all it takes is one person in a speedo to make somewhere speedo-friendly (or -tolerant, thanks Thom). Maybe that person needs to be you!
Speedo tanlines - making you even easier to find in the dark...

BJE
United States of America

Post by BJE » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:03 am

Has anyone ever been told to put something else on?

Baltspeed
Latvia

Post by Baltspeed » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:18 pm

I've never had any problems when I wore my speedos for swimming or tanning, at pools, lakes or in a park. But up to now I've never been out of Europe. Sure, sometimes or often I belong to a minority or I'm even the only speedo-wearer. But it has never happened that staff or other guests ordered me to leave the location or to wear something else.