G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Speedos on CHiPs TV Program

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

shadowmn
United States of America

Speedos on CHiPs TV Program

Post by shadowmn » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:53 pm

In my area, there's a TV station that airs old CHiPs episodes from the 70's/80's. In a recent episode, Ponch was off duty and wore a navy blue speedo while he went boating with his CHP partner Jon and a couple of girls he met during a traffic stop. Also in later episodes where Jon was replaced by the other guy (can't remember his name), the opening credits show him playing volleyball and wearing a speedo. It just goes to show you that speedos weren't always frowned upon or given a label to your sexuality. Be you, be Ponch, wear your speedo. LOL
Just a straight guy that enjoys wearing speedos. Life is too short, enjoy wearing what you want.

diveguy
United States of America

Re: Speedos on CHiPs TV Program

Post by diveguy » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:47 am

Yes. Speedos were common on TV and American culture in the 1970s and throughout the 1980s. Sometime in the 1990s, Grunge took over popular music and culture and fashion, while NBA uniforms' shorts got a lot longer, and the surfer trend in swimwear took over and these things and more dictated what type of swimwear was acceptable for the common male and speedos were all of a sudden not acceptable and everything went to shit.
Underwater and Speedo loving straight guy

Scottiebum
Great Britain

Post by Scottiebum » Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:19 am

diveguy wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:47 am
Yes. Speedos were common on TV and American culture in the 1970s and throughout the 1980s. Sometime in the 1990s, Grunge took over popular music and culture and fashion, while NBA uniforms' shorts got a lot longer, and the surfer trend in swimwear took over and these things and more dictated what type of swimwear was acceptable for the common male and speedos were all of a sudden not acceptable and everything went to shit.
It seems that the change from being acceptable to not has happened in a really short period of time. I am pleased to notice that many young guys I see going about in the warm weather are wearing shorts that are about mid thigh as opposed to knee length.

I suppose fashion does change quickly, the move from baggy jeans to narrow fit jeans and trackies seems to have occurred over only a year or so.
Straight
Scottish
Speedo

packedspeedo
United States of America

Post by packedspeedo » Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:20 am

Flatfront
United States of America

Post by Flatfront » Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:50 am

There was a pro basketball player with knobby knees who had to wear knee length shorts so he would not look ridiculous. This seems strange now.

diveguy
United States of America

Post by diveguy » Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:09 am

Scottiebum wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:19 am

I am pleased to notice that many young guys I see going about in the warm weather are wearing shorts that are about mid thigh as opposed to knee length.
I’m seeing that too. All the makers are offering shorter inseam options for swim trunks, obviously there’s a demand. Hopefully, more and more guys will realize how stupid the long knee-length trunks look and start going for the shorter styles and hopefully it will be an ongoing trend and maybe eventually speedos will become more mainstream. Or at least square cut suits, and other near-zero inseam length trunks. And then briefs after that.
Underwater and Speedo loving straight guy

BozeHawk
Canada

Post by BozeHawk » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:05 am

Scottiebum wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:19 am
It seems that the change from being acceptable to not has happened in a really short period of time. I am pleased to notice that many young guys I see going about in the warm weather are wearing shorts that are about mid thigh as opposed to knee length.

I suppose fashion does change quickly, the move from baggy jeans to narrow fit jeans and trackies seems to have occurred over only a year or so.
Amazon's house brand, Goodthreads, has great 5" inseam shorts. Flat front, stretchy, and a fair deal at $27.40 or £27.40. The downside is you have to press them after a wash — which for me is not a deal breaker. I find ironing relaxing, and how long does it take to press a small pair of short trousers?

In the US:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=goodthreads+ ... ort+5+inch

In the UK:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=goodthread ... rts+5+inch

52dno98
United States of America

Post by 52dno98 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:09 am

diveguy wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:09 am
I’m seeing that too. All the makers are offering shorter inseam options for swim trunks, obviously there’s a demand. Hopefully, more and more guys will realize how stupid the long knee-length trunks look and start going for the shorter styles and hopefully it will be an ongoing trend and maybe eventually speedos will become more mainstream. Or at least square cut suits, and other near-zero inseam length trunks. And then briefs after that.
My wife bought me khaki shorts with a 5" inseam, so they're pretty short compared to most. They really show off my legs, which is gaining popularity, per diveguy's comment.

When I'm wearing them I joke that I'm ready to drive my Ferrari around Oahu and solve crimes with Rick and TC (a Magnum, P.I. reference for the non-Americans- Tom Selleck wore some pretty short shorts back in the early 80's).

clem
United States of America

Post by clem » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:03 pm

52dno98 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:09 am

When I'm wearing them I joke that I'm ready to drive my Ferrari around Oahu and solve crimes with Rick and TC...
Brilliant! :lol:

Ponch (Erik Estrada) was definitely rocking that speedo in that CHiPs episode. The later CHP officer was Bruce Penhall, a hunky world champion motorcycle racer who tried acting on for size. That's "macho" cred by whatever outdated definition you want to consider, and a speedo was fine on a guy like that. Where has culture gone wrong?