G'day Guys,

Welcome to the Speedo Forum.

If you are a guest, you can only see a small portion of the forum. Members like posting their speedo selfies so I don't like that to be 100% public. However, joining is free.

If you are a new member, you need to email me your username so I can manually activate your account. This is a pain (for you and me) but it is the only way I've been able to keep the spam bots from ruining the forum. My email address is: DaveEvans@SpeedoFetish.com

This forum is free and I don't allow any advertising (except my own sites), if you would like to donate please click the link above, all donations go towards the hosting and maintenance of the forum for everyone to enjoy.

Dave 'Speedo' Evans
Webmaster/Speedo Enthusiast

Speedo Wearers

General speedo discussion - questions/ideas.

Moderator: DaveSpeedoEvans

BJE
United States of America

Re: Speedo Wearers

Post by BJE » Mon May 27, 2019 8:10 pm

Thom wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 2:24 pm
SthOzGuy81 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 1:53 pm
Nice. I don’t really have any pairs with bright colourful patterns tbh and am not overly fussed if I show a little bit of vpl. If people don’t like it they don’t have to look!
It's crazy. Everyone knows a man has a penis. What's the big deal? That said, I remember an article from a few years ago in Esquire magazine (a popular men's publication in the U.S.) about how men should never let their nips show through a T or polo shirt. Come on! Two little bumps? It's insane.
How can a man’s nipples not show through a T shirt?

When it comes to men’s fashion I never pay attention to men’s magazines. They also say stupid things like recommending jeans that cost $350 and that you should never wash them.

BJE
United States of America

Post by BJE » Mon May 27, 2019 8:17 pm

SthOzGuy81 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 2:29 pm
Thom wrote:
SthOzGuy81 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 1:53 pm
Nice. I don’t really have any pairs with bright colourful patterns tbh and am not overly fussed if I show a little bit of vpl. If people don’t like it they don’t have to look!
It's crazy. Everyone knows a man has a penis. What's the big deal? That said, I remember an article from a few years ago in Esquire magazine (a popular men's publication in the U.S.) about how men should never let their nips show through a T or polo shirt. Come on! Two little bumps? It's insane.
I know right! Why do men have to cover up and hide the very thing that makes them a man? Women wear the tiniest thing bikinis and no one cares at all. And as for nipples, mine are prominent in every top I wear so I’m screwed lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think women have a lot to do with the “modesty” of boys and men. Mothers don’t dress their boys in speedos because they think they are immodest so boys grow up wearing shorts in the pool and are embarrassed to let their thighs show let alone their bulge.

Something I see a lot of these days are boys with shirts on in the pool. Even indoors. A mother that makes her son wear a shirt in the pool is certainly emasculating him. I’ve read posts where women say they won’t let their sons go shirtless because if a girl has to wear a shirt then so does a boy
Well, that may be her opinion but it’s certainly incorrect in my view.

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Mon May 27, 2019 8:51 pm

BJE wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 8:17 pm

I think women have a lot to do with the “modesty” of boys and men. Mothers don’t dress their boys in speedos because they think they are immodest so boys grow up wearing shorts in the pool and are embarrassed to let their thighs show let alone their bulge.

Something I see a lot of these days are boys with shirts on in the pool. Even indoors. A mother that makes her son wear a shirt in the pool is certainly emasculating him. I’ve read posts where women say they won’t let their sons go shirtless because if a girl has to wear a shirt then so does a boy
This is a disturbing trend.
Long time Speedo® lover

MrMusik
United States of America

Post by MrMusik » Tue May 28, 2019 8:42 am

Thom wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 2:48 pm
SthOzGuy81 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 2:29 pm
Thom wrote:
I know right! Why do men have to cover up and hide the very thing that makes them a man? Women wear the tiniest thing bikinis and no one cares at all. And as for nipples, mine are prominent in every top I wear so I’m screwed lol
LOL! :lol: I have pointy nips too. I say we should both show them proudly. I sometimes wonder if society isn't trying to emasculate men. And men are becoming complicit in this conspiracy! Well I'm not. And I don't think you are either. Jeez, even gay guys here in the U.S. are conservative. I have a gay friend at work. I asked him if he would like some speedos that were too small for me. Never been worn. You'd think I'd offered him arsenic. "Oh NO," he said. He did take a pair of some skinny jeans.... I went to the beach with some people from work. Wore my Yingfa jammers, to be conservative. Later, somebody said, "Where did you get that Chinese number [meaning my jammers]. Jeez... They're conservative as f**k. I felt like saying, 'bugger off."
Yes, everyone knows that a man has a penis, it is not that big of a deal. Yet, people act like they are surprised if they can evidence of such a thing. In the mean time I'm over here thinking, "WTF did you think he has between his legs??? Grow up and leave the guy alone."

My nipples are also pretty prominent. Very obvious in most t-shirts and some other shirts. Do I care about showing my nipples through a shirt? Hell no, I don't really care that they show through, but I guess I'm similarly "screwed" like you guys are.

The emasculation of American men is a real problem. We have boys who are afraid to get undressed in the locker room, they won't take their shirts off in public, hell... a guy can hardly hold a door open for a woman these days. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about women's rights and girl power; but not at the cost of my masculinity.

I'm not trying to show dominance by holding a door open. I'm pretty certain you can open the door yourself. I'm being courteous and friendly.

I just don't understand how these people can be so angry at everyone all the time. They need to quit making so many rules and just let people be who they want to be. I mean really, if someone wants to wear a swim brief, this doesn't really impact anyone else, why would anyone feel the need to chastise that person??? I just don't understand this way of thinking. It seems idiotic to me.

BJE
United States of America

Post by BJE » Tue May 28, 2019 10:08 am

I use the argument that women aren’t required to hide the fact that they have breasts so why should men hide the fact that they have something between their legs. The reply is usually because breasts aren’t genitals. That is true but breasts are sexualized in our culture so they really aren’t any different from penises and testicles. Society encourages women to accentuate, enlarge and flaunt their breasts. Why should men be intimidated into hiding the evidence of genitals?

Besides, a typical woman’s bikini bottom shows much more than the typical speedo.

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Tue May 28, 2019 11:48 am

MrMusik wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 8:42 am

My nipples are also pretty prominent. Very obvious in most t-shirts and some other shirts. Do I care about showing my nipples through a shirt? Hell no, I don't really care that they show through, but I guess I'm similarly "screwed" like you guys are.

I'm not trying to show dominance by holding a door open. I'm pretty certain you can open the door yourself. I'm being courteous and friendly.
Well, I'm old enough to remember when it was considered a courtesy to hold the door or give your seat to older ladies on a subway or bus. Hey, I hold the door for men too. Maybe we just better let the thing slam shut.

And the nipple thing is still a mystery to me. I mean, compared to what women have, They're tiny...
Long time Speedo® lover

SthOzGuy81
Australia

Post by SthOzGuy81 » Tue May 28, 2019 11:52 am

I’ve never really experienced any negative feedback from wearing a speedo in public I must admit as it’s still quite a normal thing to wear at the pool or beach in Australia. I get a lot of stares at the nude beach when walking around, especially by the gay dudes, but I tend to wear the sexier styles with a high sheer rating there like white 1.5 Aussiebum loose. I like to develop tan lines which is why I wear swimwear at a nude beach! Funny thing is many gay guys at the nude beach wear their Aussiebums in favour of going naked.

It is a shame to see most guys under 40 wear knee length shorts these days at the pools and beaches. Is it so risqué to show upper legs too?!

SthOzGuy81
Australia

Post by SthOzGuy81 » Tue May 28, 2019 11:57 am

Thom wrote:
MrMusik wrote:

Well, I'm old enough to remember when it was considered a courtesy to hold the door or give your seat to older ladies on a subway or bus. Hey, I hold the door for men too. Maybe we just better let the thing slam shut.

And the nipple thing is still a mystery to me. I mean, compared to what women have, They're tiny...
Honestly I have second thoughts these days about holding a door open for a woman although I can usually tell which ones will appreciate the courtesy and which ones will take offence, the feminist ones give off a certain vibe. I would hate for common courtesy to not be a thing at all anymore.

BJE
United States of America

Post by BJE » Tue May 28, 2019 1:15 pm

SthOzGuy81 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 11:52 am
I’ve never really experienced any negative feedback from wearing a speedo in public I must admit as it’s still quite a normal thing to wear at the pool or beach in Australia.

It is a shame to see most guys under 40 wear knee length shorts these days at the pools and beaches. Is it so risqué to show upper legs too?!
The only negative feedback I’ve gotten are teenagers laughing or commenting to each other. I’ve also had young children ask me why I am wearing panties.

I’ve had a lot of stares too but I don’t know if that’s positive or negative.

As for younger men, my 23 year old son has to have his knees covered.

SthOzGuy81
Australia

Post by SthOzGuy81 » Tue May 28, 2019 1:45 pm

[/quote]

The only negative feedback I’ve gotten are teenagers laughing or commenting to each other. I’ve also had young children ask me why I am wearing panties.

I’ve had a lot of stares too but I don’t know if that’s positive or negative.

As for younger men, my 23 year old son has to have his knees covered.[/quote]

It’s so strange how young guys feel the need to cover past the knees.

I don’t think the stares were negative tbh and thankfully I’m never the only guy in a speedo, the older dudes all wear them.

And who really cares what snickering teenagers think, they scoff at everything! They might laugh but some would be secretly envious that you have the confidence to wear such a small item of clothing in public.

Thom
United States of America

Post by Thom » Tue May 28, 2019 4:12 pm

SthOzGuy81 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 1:45 pm

I don’t think the stares were negative tbh and thankfully I’m never the only guy in a speedo, the older dudes all wear them.
Also, you (and BJE and others here) take good care of yourself to be healthy and fit. You look very handsome in your speedos. That helps too. A goal for us all. Due to a childhood illness, I can never achieve the muscle definition I want. But for sure I can keep my weight down, if nothing else, and have. A big reason I'm here is to be reminded to do that.
Long time Speedo® lover

BJE
United States of America

Post by BJE » Tue May 28, 2019 4:58 pm

SthOzGuy81 wrote:

It’s so strange how young guys feel the need to cover past the knees.

And who really cares what snickering teenagers think, they scoff at everything! They might laugh but some would be secretly envious that you have the confidence to wear such a small item of clothing in public.

I live in one of the most extremely conservative parts of the US. I have not seen another man in a speedo, even while on vacation for many years. So when I’m in a speedo I’m one of one.

I think a lot of the stares are in admiration as I often get compliments on my physique. A few days ago I was in the locker room with my shirt off and a man walked past and said “gosh damn you look good!” I think many people like the look of a speedo but they are too timid to wear one. At my athletic club I’m probably known behind my back as that guy who wears speedos.

BJE
United States of America

Post by BJE » Tue May 28, 2019 4:59 pm

Thom wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 4:12 pm
SthOzGuy81 wrote:

Also, you (and BJE and others here) take good care of yourself to be healthy and fit. You look very handsome in your speedos. That helps too. A goal for us all. Due to a childhood illness, I can never achieve the muscle definition I want. But for sure I can keep my weight down, if nothing else, and have. A big reason I'm here is to be reminded to do that.
Thank you. I’ll admit I’d have a lot less confidence wearing a speedo if I wasn’t in good shape. Going almost naked in public is a good motivation to be fit.

NJFrenchy
France

Post by NJFrenchy » Tue May 28, 2019 5:25 pm

SthOzGuy81 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 11:57 am
Thom wrote:
MrMusik wrote:

Honestly I have second thoughts these days about holding a door open for a woman although I can usually tell which ones will appreciate the courtesy and which ones will take offence, the feminist ones give off a certain vibe. I would hate for common courtesy to not be a thing at all anymore.

I’m a professor at a university, so there are always plenty of militant feminists around. Have had myself chewed out for holding the door for one. Fortunately i de-escalated it by telling her I would’ve held the door for anyone, man, woman, student etc. I was brought up to be courteous and considerate towards others, I can’t help that. The frustrating part is that I agree with a lot of what feminists say.
Buttoned up college professor by day, happy freak at heart! There will be nudity. I’m French and American. Sometimes the flag is one country’s, sometimes the other’s.. Oh!

blueflinch
Australia

Post by blueflinch » Tue May 28, 2019 11:00 pm

BJE wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:08 am
I use the argument that women aren’t required to hide the fact that they have breasts so why should men hide the fact that they have something between their legs. The reply is usually because breasts aren’t genitals. That is true but breasts are sexualized in our culture so they really aren’t any different from penises and testicles. Society encourages women to accentuate, enlarge and flaunt their breasts. Why should men be intimidated into hiding the evidence of genitals?

Besides, a typical woman’s bikini bottom shows much more than the typical speedo.
I agree with everything you say. If people are phobic about men's genitals, it just shows how alienated men (and women) are from male bodies. Which is ridiculous - because, like, men have bodies obviously. :lol:

On the other hand, women probably are taught to pay too much attention to their bodies, and neglect other things like their brains. But I don't know why a breast should be more socially acceptable than a bulge or a bum of either sex. :roll:

Norfcountryboy
Great Britain

Post by Norfcountryboy » Wed May 29, 2019 1:04 pm

Speedo's have made the same journey as clothes like hoodies and trainers. They've gone from being specific sportswear to commonplace leisure wear. The unusual thing is that Speedo's are now making the same journey in reverse, so that they are rarely seen [In the Anglo-saxon world] away from pools with swim lanes and when they are they are often regarded as being only marginally socially acceptable.
It's something that I've noticed elsewhere, cycling for example where lycra gear is increasingly being superceded by baggy stuff. I think it's a trend that men no longer feel they can "Do sexy".
There are probably a few different reasons for this.

Obesity is one. It's such a problem in Europe that when the cities of Leeds and Amsterdam succeeded- by different schemes- in reducing childhood obesity by the slimmest of margins it made medical headlines all over the world. This week I read a report in the Metro planted by a food company backed swimming scheme claiming that 1 in 3 Britons had not swam in 10 years. Reasons cited included feeling body conscious in front of others.

Gender tension is another possible reason, with a lot of offence being gladly taken. I'd not come across the undercurrent of "Why should men display their chests when women can't" that some of you mention but it doesn't surprise me. I'm sure that in some quarters taking your shirt off would be deemed a "Micro aggression". The problem with this is that some women I know do think we are on the verge of a "Handmaids Tail" style society and thinking of the airlines that ban mums for breastfeeding, Donald Trump's wandering orange hands and the horse manure that gets heaped upon Theresa May, I'm inclined to agree with them. So is this a backlash situation? An oddity though is that the last era when men dressed sexy- the 1970's and early 80's- was also an era far more bigoted than now.

Then there is fashion which I am increasingly seeing as a way for idiots to spot each other as so much of the gear that passes for male clothing is flattering. Few men in their 20's would dream of wearing lycra running tights but most of them are happy to wear skinny jeans that look like perished running tights. The latest generation of tracksuit bottoms (Track pants) look bizzare, tight round the calves- which I think are the least interesting part of the male anatomy and baggy everywhere else.

Finally I think we are living in an era of visual ugliness in general. It hit me on the way back from the pool one day, I saw a literally pug-ugly modern Peugeot parked in the street and round the corner I saw a breakers yard that had two once beautiful Peugeot 504 coupes and a 204 convertible rotting outside. Until then I hadn't really noticed how they'd fallen so hard out of the same ugly tree as recent BMW's, road bikes and virtually all British and Japenese motorcycles.
Real men wear Speedo's

blueflinch
Australia

Post by blueflinch » Thu May 30, 2019 3:17 pm

BJE wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 8:17 pm

In Australia, the situation is a little different. Boys, up to 12-13, will happily wear speedos with their mates - it's the norm. At puberty, however, I think guys get self-conscious (or their peers get self-conscious) and they opt for shorts, except for swimming competitions - at my school, speedos were compulsory for guys who made the swim team.

Wearing shirt is a trend now due to sun safety. I'm not sure why mothers make their sons wear shirts indoors though - that's probably modesty overload. Depends what family you grow up in too. My cousin happily wore nothing but boxers when visited us. I actually thought he was really, really hot. I was ashamed of showing my body. I had a prudish mother, yes.

blueflinch
Australia

Post by blueflinch » Thu May 30, 2019 3:28 pm

[/quote]
I’m a professor at a university, so there are always plenty of militant feminists around. Have had myself chewed out for holding the door for one. Fortunately i de-escalated it by telling her I would’ve held the door for anyone, man, woman, student etc. I was brought up to be courteous and considerate towards others, I can’t help that. The frustrating part is that I agree with a lot of what feminists say.
[/quote]

Oh God. Frenchwomen! Blame it on Simone Beauvoir! :lol:

Here, in Australia, people of both sexes are really nice. Men hold open doors for men; I, a man, hold open doors for men and women. Women are free to take or leave the gesture - their problem, not mine. Basically, it's about who's the most needy. If you're carrying boxes, for instance, you can go in first. Or if I'm going to take a really long time, you can jump in front, etc.

It's polite to check if someone, guy or girl, wants to go in first. But if there's no objections, I'm happy being "the lady"! :lol:

sandford50
Great Britain

Post by sandford50 » Fri May 31, 2019 5:23 am

It’s definitely a body fascism thing. In the ‘70s and (early) ‘80s guys wore speedos without thought and women in Europe embraced the topless movement on European beaches. Guys bodies weren’t as hot. A six pack hadn’t been heard of, but things were fine. Now, bodies are better, but guys won’t show off what they’ve got for fear of social stigma and women no longer go topless. Again blame the media, As any depiction of a man in a speedo is usually for comedy effect. Where is the holiday advert of a beach, with both the guy and girl in skimpy suits? It just needs a brave advertising agency to start bucking the trend.

BriefsBro
United States of America

Post by BriefsBro » Fri May 31, 2019 12:58 pm

Norfcountryboy wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 1:04 pm
Speedo's have made the same journey as clothes like hoodies and trainers. They've gone from being specific sportswear to commonplace leisure wear. The unusual thing is that Speedo's are now making the same journey in reverse, so that they are rarely seen [In the Anglo-saxon world] away from pools with swim lanes and when they are they are often regarded as being only marginally socially acceptable.
It's something that I've noticed elsewhere, cycling for example where lycra gear is increasingly being superceded by baggy stuff. I think it's a trend that men no longer feel they can "Do sexy".
There are probably a few different reasons for this.

Obesity is one. It's such a problem in Europe that when the cities of Leeds and Amsterdam succeeded- by different schemes- in reducing childhood obesity by the slimmest of margins it made medical headlines all over the world. This week I read a report in the Metro planted by a food company backed swimming scheme claiming that 1 in 3 Britons had not swam in 10 years. Reasons cited included feeling body conscious in front of others.

Gender tension is another possible reason, with a lot of offence being gladly taken. I'd not come across the undercurrent of "Why should men display their chests when women can't" that some of you mention but it doesn't surprise me. I'm sure that in some quarters taking your shirt off would be deemed a "Micro aggression". The problem with this is that some women I know do think we are on the verge of a "Handmaids Tail" style society and thinking of the airlines that ban mums for breastfeeding, Donald Trump's wandering orange hands and the horse manure that gets heaped upon Theresa May, I'm inclined to agree with them. So is this a backlash situation? An oddity though is that the last era when men dressed sexy- the 1970's and early 80's- was also an era far more bigoted than now.

Then there is fashion which I am increasingly seeing as a way for idiots to spot each other as so much of the gear that passes for male clothing is flattering. Few men in their 20's would dream of wearing lycra running tights but most of them are happy to wear skinny jeans that look like perished running tights. The latest generation of tracksuit bottoms (Track pants) look bizzare, tight round the calves- which I think are the least interesting part of the male anatomy and baggy everywhere else.

Finally I think we are living in an era of visual ugliness in general. It hit me on the way back from the pool one day, I saw a literally pug-ugly modern Peugeot parked in the street and round the corner I saw a breakers yard that had two once beautiful Peugeot 504 coupes and a 204 convertible rotting outside. Until then I hadn't really noticed how they'd fallen so hard out of the same ugly tree as recent BMW's, road bikes and virtually all British and Japenese motorcycles.
I think you make a good point by saying fashion is less self-satisfactory, and more of a signal to others. I was just at a pool party with speedos, a gay party, and no one got inside the pool. So speedos in that setting were a uniform, but not something one wore for fun and/or function.